1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

fuel heater wiring?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2013, 06:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
fuel heater wiring?

Can someone post a picture of the fuel heater? Not sure where it even is. Where does it get it's power? Hot with ignition, or is it powered by a temperature switch somewhere?

Will it help prevent a jell up in -20F weather?

Things I learned last night...........
Take a heavy coat when going to the store at 10:00 PM to get a gallon of milk.
Take your cell phone.
Get in better shape so you can run the mile and half home. No one in their right mind goes out at that time of night in that kind of weather to give your dumb a ride home.

Last edited by BC847; 01-14-2013 at 05:04 PM. Reason: Short-Cut To Language
Old 01-13-2013, 07:54 PM

Received 1,332 Likes on 862 Posts
And make sure you run some sort of anti-gell in your fuel....Howes, power service, etc.....

I believe the fuel heater is triggered off the air temp sensor. It's the flat disk, about 1/2'3/4" wide, that sits above your fuel filter. Has two wwires that run to it. I looked through my pics, but I don't have one of the fuel heater installed.
Old 01-13-2013, 08:15 PM
Cummins Guru

Received 64 Likes on 44 Posts
Wiring diag. for 1989 Cummins diesel might help.
Old 01-13-2013, 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by thrashingcows
And make sure you run some sort of anti-gell in your fuel....Howes, power service, etc.....
I learned several years ago that Power Service doesn't work in the temps we face here. I learned last night Howes doesn't work either.
Old 01-13-2013, 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by BigIron70
Wiring diag. for 1989 Cummins diesel might help.
Thanks! It looks like the fuel heater is on with the ignition?
Old 01-13-2013, 09:01 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jimlj
I learned several years ago that Power Service doesn't work in the temps we face here. I learned last night Howes doesn't work either.
Where is here?
Old 01-13-2013, 09:43 PM

Originally Posted by scot pa
Where is here?
Evanston WY.
Old 01-13-2013, 10:35 PM

Received 1,332 Likes on 862 Posts
Really...Hmmm...even the winter blend power service?
Old 01-14-2013, 05:27 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Howes works...Just a matter of adding and letting it mix prior to cold. And the dose increases w/ anticipated cold. Just ask the ice road truckers.
Old 01-14-2013, 04:06 PM

Been truckin for years all over with power service never had a problem just make sure you have enough in it and make sure its mixed up good
Old 01-14-2013, 11:12 PM

I'm not really looking to get in an argument about fuel treatments, but I have not had any luck with them when it gets cold.(We have a few weeks each year when the high temperature is below zero) I had a new white bottle of power service jell up in the tool box on my work truck. When I jelled up on Saturday night, I had the proper ratio and properly mixed Howes in my tank. I set a couple bottles of Howes outside today, I'll see what it looks like in the morning. The only thing I have seen that works without fail is properly blended fuel, and Saturday proved to me that the highly recommended Howes at -15F didn't work for me.

Back to the original question, does anyone know if a properly working fuel heater will prevent jelling the filter?
Old 01-15-2013, 11:22 AM
Best Paint (Getrag category)

A couple years ago I was having cold weather gelling issues, turns out the fuel heater went south for the winter. replaced it with a new 2nd gen unit as per the sticky and started running Howes and havn't had a single issue since.
Old 01-15-2013, 02:18 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I'm not really looking to get in an argument about fuel treatments, but I have not had any luck with them when it gets cold.(We have a few weeks each year when the high temperature is below zero) I had a new white bottle of power service jell up in the tool box on my work truck. When I jelled up on Saturday night, I had the proper ratio and properly mixed Howes in my tank. I set a couple bottles of Howes outside today, I'll see what it looks like in the morning. The only thing I have seen that works without fail is properly blended fuel, and Saturday proved to me that the highly recommended Howes at -15F didn't work for me.

Back to the original question, does anyone know if a properly working fuel heater will prevent jelling the filter?
Yes, and yes. -30 F multiple days at WY trailheads. Came out of woods wondering...,and no issues:started and ran like normal. Well blended and functioning fuel heater keeps these old girls running just fine
Old 01-16-2013, 05:27 PM

Received 93 Likes on 67 Posts
I haven't found any additive work with the new ULSD when the fuel gets below about 15 F. If the fuel gets cold, paraffin crystals will form in it & plug the filter -- the transfer pump will move the fuel with no trouble, but the filter clogs up in just about enough time to get you stuck in some place inconvenient.

If you haven't already, I highly recommend you check out this link & install the new heater. I would also recommend bringing the heater ground to its own terminal eye, and cleaning up the big crimp weld where the heater, starter relay, and I think something else's ground all come together.

Since installing the new heater, I have not had a plugged filter, but I have had a couple of days with reduced fuel pressure after start-up that gradually improved as the heater did its job.

Sticky Link
Old 01-16-2013, 06:00 PM
DTR's Night Watchman & Poet Laureate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
no it wont prevent that if the conditions are present for it to jell, what it does do actually is warm the fuel just enough for the water separator to function properly. the fuel doesn't stay in the heater long enough to "warm" much...

If you are experiencing that bad a jell issue, you may want to look at an tank heater or such, you can find the type that are mat-like heaters that attach to the outside of the tank at tractor parts stores and such..

although for what its worth, a conditioner SHOULD be enough to prevent jelling even at those temps.

Quick Reply: fuel heater wiring?