1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Front Suspension Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2012, 10:26 PM

Received 74 Likes on 52 Posts
If so here it was many years ago when I was hauling commercially... The front sits much higher in this picture than it does now with tired springs...
Attached Thumbnails Front Suspension Upgrade-imported-photos-00035.jpg  
Old 06-09-2012, 11:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1.1MILLION!!! Standard or auto trans? Rebuilt engine/trans/drivetrain???
Old 06-10-2012, 05:04 PM

Received 74 Likes on 52 Posts
At 95K something went kaput in the engine, so I got a brand new surplus engine... Its got just over 1 million on it, plus for the 7 years I was hauling commercially add 6-8 hours a night for 270-300 days a year idling to keep the a/c or heat on...

Its a G360 trans, replaced a number of those, I did 3 total clutches, but never had one fail. I added a trans cool and that really helped extend trans life. Drums and rotors lasted past the million mark. Broke a few teeth off the ring and pinion twice, did some U-joints, transfer case is stock as is the front diff. Did one set of king pins and the shocks is all on the suspension... I cant complain about much as its spent its life hauling a ton of weight for most of its life... It out lasted my marriage to boot. BTW, LOVE Michelin LTX MS tires... I get 100K per set and rotote every 25K... Absolute best tire Ive ever used.
Old 06-19-2012, 01:18 PM

I am very interested in these springs. Do we have any DTR members that have any miles on these. I am looking for a 2-4" lift? addtional lift.
Old 06-22-2012, 08:01 AM

Ordered a set yesterday, I will keep you all posted?
Old 07-11-2012, 11:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kiszka6911
Ordered a set yesterday, I will keep you all posted?
Some updates?
Old 07-12-2012, 12:45 AM

Originally Posted by mopar2ya
At 95K something went kaput in the engine, so I got a brand new surplus engine... Its got just over 1 million on it, plus for the 7 years I was hauling commercially add 6-8 hours a night for 270-300 days a year idling to keep the a/c or heat on...

Its a G360 trans, replaced a number of those, I did 3 total clutches, but never had one fail. I added a trans cool and that really helped extend trans life. Drums and rotors lasted past the million mark. Broke a few teeth off the ring and pinion twice, did some U-joints, transfer case is stock as is the front diff. Did one set of king pins and the shocks is all on the suspension... I cant complain about much as its spent its life hauling a ton of weight for most of its life... It out lasted my marriage to boot. BTW, LOVE Michelin LTX MS tires... I get 100K per set and rotote every 25K... Absolute best tire Ive ever used.
Wow! On a side note you have to really be doing something to kill an np205..how did the interior hold up with all that seat time? no rust?
Old 07-12-2012, 06:15 AM

Springs are sitting on the garage floor. Which means the impala ss that was sitting there is repaired, or at least moving on its own. Depending on the family going to Cedar Point this weekend I may start working on them. Been spraying the bolts daily with PB blaster! FYI I went with the same springs a PJ3.
Old 07-13-2012, 02:24 AM

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Mopar1973
Wow! On a side note you have to really be doing something to kill an np205..how did the interior hold up with all that seat time? no rust?
run one for 200 miles with a seized idler bearing that'll do it!
Old 08-28-2012, 12:51 AM

So i bought these springs, they ride like crap. What am i doing wrong?
I had brand new replacement OEM springs with an add-a-leaf, it rode really rough and i figured id eat the loss and buy these to get a more comfortable ride, i was wrong.

These are bouncy and ride very weird. Is there a break in period?

Im running my original shackles, both shackles seemed to move as they should? Shocks werent a problem before so i dont know why they would be now?

I dont want to hi jack a thread but if someone is gonna throw down 600+ dollars like i did you might want to be hearing this info!!!

If they settle and soften up after a while ill edit this post and give a good rating..but so far they are riding worse than a brand new OEM with add a leaf.
Old 08-28-2012, 12:58 AM

Originally Posted by sevnt300
I don't post or reply to much but I wanted to add my experience with the same springs that PJ 3 installed. I purchased a set of these springs about a month ago. There are a few things that you need to know before ordering these. First off these springs are about 3/4" longer in the rear than the stock ones. That being said, the length and the thickness of the new spring makes the springs ride on the frame when using the stock shackle. After informing them of this they sent me a new set of shackles that are about an inch longer than the stock ones and they said that they will include the shackles as part of the spring purchase from now on. I don't mind being involved in a little R&D and it solved the clearance issue. Hear is the part you need to know……I ordered springs with a 2" lift on them so the truck would sit even, which it did….with the stock shackles. With the new shackles it sat almost 2" higher than with the stock ones and about a 1/4 turn on my steering wheel. I called them about this, they told me to take the spacer from the bottom of the spring and move it to the top (which I did). Well….. it's still pointing up in the front, it only dropped it about a 1/2 inch. They told me to drive it for a week and see if it settled……..it didn't……..called them again, they said it was not possible for it to raise that much, I explained the spring length, height measurement and the steering geometry facts to back up my complaint, I am 6'4", the difference between getting in the truck was being able to slide in with the stock shackle and almost tearing my levi's with the new one they supplied. They suggested that I drive it roughly off road as much as possible for about 6 weeks to see if it settles. I am willing to be proven wrong and will give it the full 6 weeks that they suggested.

If you order these springs, know that whatever lift you ask for will be increased by 1 1/2 - 2" by the combination of the shackles and spring length. As some of you have noticed, on PJ 3's truck, the 2" lift is actually closer to a 3" or 4" lift, due to the spring length and longer shackle. I am not badmouthing these springs or the company, the springs ride superbly for 2500 lb springs, its not a Imperial by any means but they do have nice action to them and the company has tried to do what they think is right to resolve the height issues. I am just letting everyone know my experience and preparing anyone who wants a set of these springs to know what to expect so you don't have to spend the time and effort disassembling and reassembling your front suspension like I have had to do.

Good Luck
And they never sent me shackles so mine sits level lol, ill have to go see if they are riding on frame i bet they are! To be continued...
Old 08-28-2012, 09:29 AM
Banned

So i bought these springs, they ride like crap. What am i doing wrong?
Which ones did you buy? The parabolic leaves?

--Eric
Old 08-28-2012, 03:04 PM

Yes the tapered probolic springs from custom suspension designed to ride softer
Old 09-03-2012, 08:42 PM

I was just about to pull the trigger on these springs, now I'm not so sure. Whats the best option for a spring that wont sag?
Maybe the manufacturer would chime into this thread?
Old 09-03-2012, 09:42 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by jamo90ram
Ok so I got the longer shackles. Still rides like crap. I'm pretty ****** . Shocks are good. Shackles are long enough. New "soft ride" tapered springs. Still rides like ***. I feel like puking, not sure if its the bouncy *** ride of the 600 I threw out the window. Well see if they take the springs back tommorow

Did you install them? Were all the springs bolts tightened with weight on them (truck on ground)? Any pics?

Quick Reply: Front Suspension Upgrade