1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Front air shocks

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2007, 07:07 PM
MSM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Front air shocks

Does anyone have an aftermarket part number for front air shocks for a 92 W-250.This truck came from the factory with front air shocks as part of the HD snow plow package,but the dealer said they are discontinued. Thanks
Old 01-25-2007, 08:25 AM

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts
No, but I emailed Gabriel and they said they would build the shocks for me for around 130 bucks. Then I found out the the COMMONwealth of VA won't give me an inspection sticker with them on my truck. THe FSM recommends air shocks if you plow.
Old 01-25-2007, 11:32 AM

My truck had them on too when i bought it. The seals were shot and wouldnt hold air for more thean 30 sec, but when you applied air to them, the truck would raise up about 3 inches.

I bought gabriel heavy duties from JC Whitney, and they fit fine, now its a matter of finding an air source with enough PSI to actually lift the front of the truck. The shocks will take 200psi of air, but i have trouble finding air past 110 PSI. My compressor wont put out more than 110, but when i worked in the quarry, their compressors would put out 185, and that would raise up the truck
Old 03-29-2007, 08:03 PM

Has anyone had any luck with this? My truck has air shocks but I don't really see a need for them, so I was going to replace with regular shocks. However the lower mount for the air shock is huge compaired to the reg shocks on the truck. If anyone has swapped back what did you change?
Old 03-30-2007, 04:19 AM
Banned

That sounds odd, the lower mount for air shocks larger than usual, unless that was what Dodge did for factory air lift installs? Hmmm, don't know, other than maybe pressing out the non-air shock lower bushing and replacing with appropriate size, or replacing the shock mount plates on the springs with the smaller? To go the other way, to install air on a regular shock truck, I went to my local NAPA store, where my parts guru is(I've known this guy at this store for 30yrs, and he looks up weird stuff for me all the time), and he set about finding me an appropriate NAPA air shock set. I think all NAPA sets are either Gabriel or Monroe, but anyways, he just took the measurements of my original gas shock and compared it to a chart in one of his books. You would need to tell them the upper/lower mounting type/diameter of mounting hole, and then total length of the shock, both compressed and extended. Then he matched up corresponding sets on a page, and I BELIEVE he said a REAR set for mid-size GM cars, like Cutlass, Monte Carlo, Chevelle, etc from the mid-89's matched the closest. Anyways, they had them in stock, ran I think $89 with my preferred customer discount(another reason I go to him!), and over the counter something like $105. The hard part of all this is finding a guy who knows HOW to match your shock, and then finding that guy who WANTS to take the time to look them up for you!! Kinda hard to do these days...good luck to ya, please let us know what you find out. Addressing the pressure issue to EClancy, my shocks max out @ 110psi rated, and do a good job lifting(but I have no plow, has a small-block motor, etc), so I was wondering what in the world would you need a 200psi-rated shock to support when as a comparison, my 110's do good on my 4wd(1/2 ton though). Besides a plow, eh?? :-)