1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Fix CEL with your IR/ER Alternator

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2012, 11:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fix CEL with your IR/ER Alternator

I've just completed installing a 200A Delco 28SI IF/IR (internal fanned / internal regulated). What a difference! I now have enough juice to run my rooftop A/C without running down my 660AH battery bank when driving down the road. Or without running the generator. This alternator puts out 130A at idle and full 200A at less than 2000 rpm.

Anyway, this modification causes the check engine light to stay on. That's because the PCM can't monitor the alternator activity.

Well, I found a fix. Connect the following terminal block (used in newer Denso alternators with a "generator sense" pin).

http://www.maniacelectricmotors.com/nialteblfor4.html

You need to connect 3 wires to it - one (triangle tab) to the alternator bat post, another (opposite tab) to ground, and then the gen-sense pin (one without continuity to either horn) to your existing green wire that is connected to the PCM; leave the two horns and the other pin unused. This module will give the PCM what it needs to be happy. This works with externally regulated, internally regulated, B-circuit, or A-circuit alternators.
Old 09-11-2012, 07:32 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Have any pics of the install, how much work was it to fit it in?
Old 09-11-2012, 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by BILTIT
Have any pics of the install, how much work was it to fit it in?
It's similar to Jim Lane's Leece Neville install except it was LESS WORK. Of course I also have the Cummins in a motorhome, not in a pickup truck.

I didn't have to move hoses, i leaned the alternator away from the block.

The pulley I used lined up perfectly with the belt without shaving anything from it. I installed the pulley backward using the washers included with the alternator.

The 28SI mounting ears do not interfere with the tensioner block.

Fabbing the spacers was very easy. And of course I welded in place a 2-inch long extension tab onto the existing upper alternator bracket.

Sorry I got lazy, didn't take any pics, and since Jim Lane has done a great job already. If anyone needs help I'd be happy to provide additional info.
Old 09-11-2012, 09:02 AM

And btw, this is the 3rd alternator I tried and THIS is the high amp alternator to have. It's aftermarket BUT it's not a tricked out output. It's made by licensed aftermarket mfg with OEM Delco spec parts. It is large and it's for trucks and buses, with great heat dissipation. And best of all it's only $133 shipped to my door. If you want one, hurry, get it from Ebay from DB Electrical stock ADR0408 - this is a 200A not 180A as indicated in the ad.

I've also tried a small case 2007 Denso hairpin type, it works very well but only 160A. This is now my spare alternator as I already have the spacers and brackets fabbed for it.

I've also tried a so called "200A high ouput" large case Denso hairpin type (used in 2006 Dodge Viper) but this was a fraud. It put out only 136A when hot.