1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Feeler: P-Pump swap

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2009, 07:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Feeler: P-Pump swap

Ok.. No haters..lol But I have a chance to get everything I need to swap to a p-pump for like 600 bones, Besides the injectors, but I want to get different ones anyway, so can't count that.. I would have to get 2nd gen injectors with first gen tips right?? I really don't know if I want to do the swap or not, but for 600 bucks I thought it would be a heck of a deal.. I want to change my fuel system over anyway this winter. But I've been reading numerous posts about people not happy with the results after the swap.. Just can't figure out why not when the oppertunity to make more pwr so easy.. I mean the ability to adjust timing where ever you want, it seems with some time well spent dialing a setup in, it would be worth it. .
Old 07-04-2009, 07:37 PM

Received 79 Likes on 55 Posts
I'd say leave your rig VE pumped but that is my opinion based on the below:

P-pumps lack dynamic timing.

People won't consider your rig a true '1st gen'

'Ve pumps with big sticks can put out more than enough fuel with big intercooler etc to have to watch the pyro while towing (how much more fuel do you really need)

P pump swaps aren't worth the hassle in general because getting a 2nd gen engine is easier, but sounds like you've got a 'deal' but still I wouldn't do it for even 600 bones, or free for that matter so to each his own..

happy 4th!! I've always been an fan of your fab work, great rig.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RssIN3ustUw
Old 07-04-2009, 09:19 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Its easier to mess with the timing on a VE pump. like 100x

To adjust the timing on a P pump you gotta have some special tool kit and know what you're doing.
Old 07-04-2009, 09:45 PM
Chapter President

i guess it would all depend on what you want from the truck. If you are looking for more than 400-450hp then you are better off going that way. if your not i would not see the benefit.
Old 07-04-2009, 10:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i second whats stated above. idid a p-pump conversion last winter on my old ford, call me nuts but i switched back after a couple of months. reason:
the p-pump is awesome, if you need fuel for 400 + hp,p-pump. if you need fuel at high rpm for competition purposes,p-pump. if you want the best pump for a 300-400 hp daily driver,stick with the ve. my findings: the dynamic timing gives the ve more low end torque, and a broader power band. it spools quiker. it starts better, where i live we have sub zero alot, even warmer the ve starts better. smoother at lower rpm. towing a loaded enclosed snowmobile trailer on winding mountian roads the ve pulled better in and out of the throttle. i decided if i wanted to get a huge laggy single or twin turbos,o-ring,stud head, beef up drive train more so it would handle more power then i would use p-pump, the ve isnt just adequate, its BETTER in the 300 hp range. even with whats in my sig, i still have more fuel than air from the ve.i had a bench tested 215 p-pump, luckiy i came out ahead money wise after selling parts.on dyno day the 364 hp from ve got people excited,450 hp p-pumpers were a dissapointment. good luck either way. i still have 2 p-pumped farm trucks and love em.
Old 07-04-2009, 11:05 PM

Take the $600 your about to waste on a P-pump setup and buy a Torque converter
Old 07-04-2009, 11:15 PM

If I were going to P-Pump my truck, I'd do a whole engine swap, not just the pump. I'd take it for $600, and sell it to someone else for more.
Old 07-05-2009, 07:27 AM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
$600 is a great price.

You would use standard garden variety P-pump injectors, no special tips needed.

Timing on a p-pump is not a big deal if you get the tool set.
Old 07-05-2009, 08:50 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I do not know if you absolutely need it, but the p-pump engines have a notch in the head for the overflow valve. I am sure you could grind it to fit.

While on the subject:

I happened to notice my '93 has the notch, is this common? Anybody else's have this?
Old 07-05-2009, 09:48 PM

I say do it. I plan on p-pumping my 93 (have everything sitting in the shop) and the 84 CC will stay VE. Timing a P-pump isn't hard if you know how and have the tools. If you're looking for all out power do it. I like both of my VE pumped pickups, but niether compare to a P-pump putting down power.
Old 07-06-2009, 08:30 PM

Originally Posted by CaptainChrysler
I do not know if you absolutely need it, but the p-pump engines have a notch in the head for the overflow valve. I am sure you could grind it to fit.

While on the subject:

I happened to notice my '93 has the notch, is this common? Anybody else's have this?
Being a 93 before the P pumped 94's maybe not..There is a 93 in town for sale. I'll check it out and post pics of the head...
Old 07-06-2009, 08:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well, I appreciate all the opinions.. Kinda what I figured from reading other threads.. I know a little biased being all the true first gen lovers.. The way I see it it, it is still a first gen no matter what I do to it.. Heck they didn't add rear discs to like 01 or 02, So if one does that to the old first gen it is still a first gen if you get my drift.. And so on with a 47rh or 2nd gen intercooler.. They are all upgrades..

I don't know if I will buy it, but it isn't going anywhere. The truck that it is on dropped a valve and the motor is toast. Had a little over 400k on it.. But, If things go good buy August I may ****** it up for the 600 bucks.. I have a few buddies that now the p-pumps inside and out and they probably would be more than happy to helm me get it dialed in right!!
Old 07-06-2009, 09:17 PM

Well I P-pumped mine and love it even though right now I'm in need of more air bad but I expected that with the mods I added to the pump. But if you decide to back out on buying the whole pump setup pm me got another truck that is awaiting for the same conversion also. I will just never think about going back to the VE because personally I think the P-pump is just so much more reliable.
Old 07-06-2009, 10:13 PM

Originally Posted by cedardiesel
Well I P-pumped mine and love it even though right now I'm in need of more air bad but I expected that with the mods I added to the pump. But if you decide to back out on buying the whole pump setup pm me got another truck that is awaiting for the same conversion also. I will just never think about going back to the VE because personally I think the P-pump is just so much more reliable.
I personally think the VE and P7100 are just about equal as far as reliability, in stock form. However, when you turn the pump up, I would agree that a P7100 would probably last longer than a VE, especially at higher rwhp levels.

As far as a P-Pump swap not making it a first gen, who cares, as long as you like it, that's all that matter.

DNR, one thing I would suggest is driving a P-Pumped truck around the rwhp level you want, and see if you like the way it drives. If you like it, swap it, if not, find a 2nd gen toy.
Old 07-06-2009, 10:23 PM

Yea I would also suggest what 91first gen said because it is a lot to get used to especially if you plan on throwing a set of 4000 govern springs in the p-pump cause the throttle will be unbelievaly touchy trust me it gets frustrating getting used to that especially between shifts.

Quick Reply: Feeler: P-Pump swap