1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

engine suppliers

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2018, 01:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
engine suppliers

hey guys,

been looking around for new and used engines and have a few in mind. However, I am slightly put off from buying used due to the no warranty ect from private sellers and I don't have a load of cash I can throw at it if anything goes wrong. Anyone had any experiences with new or used engines?

Thanks
Old 07-29-2018, 07:46 AM

Received 2,392 Likes on 1,576 Posts
Well I have several 12V motors, I would be interested in selling.
I am always working on a few 12V Cummins projects at any given time, so I keep Cummins motors and parts around.
I would be happy to fire them up for you so you could pick out one you like.
PM if you would like more info.
Thanks
Old 07-29-2018, 10:30 PM

Received 308 Likes on 234 Posts
In my somewhat limited experience anyone offering a warranty on a 12v Cummins is going to want $10K for it. The other thing to be concerned with is how enforceable any offered warranty actually is. Most of them have pages of fine print and exclusions. Many times attempting to enforce a warranty is an exercise in frustration and ultimately fruitless.

Hear one run, if need be take an oil sample and have it analyzed (Blackstone Labs). That should give you a good idea of the condition of the engine.

As an aside: I know Oliver Foster personally and wouldn't hesitate to buy an engine from him.
Old 07-31-2018, 01:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hello, I did reply yesterday but it seems it did not successfully post :/

I found a company suggested to me on reddit but I left slightly confused due to being new to all of this. https://www.4btengines.com/remanufactured-engines/ ,on there it has a page for used and remanufactured? could someone explain the difference please? also if you guys know if this would be a reliable source to contemplate buying mine from. Oliver foster, ill PM you now, thanks for the advice guys.
Old 08-01-2018, 09:00 AM
Administrator

Received 171 Likes on 129 Posts
Mark, I guess we need some more information from you to reasonably discuss this with you. First off, what year truck are we talking? What are you going to do with the truck ( pleasure, hot rod, tow heavy, hotshot? ). The problem you will find is not too many people are familiar with Diesels ( though it is getting better ), and there are a ton of kids out there doing modifications to them that adversely affect reliability.

Are you sure that you need a new engine?

From my perspective, unless I was running a commercial hotshot business, there is no way I would buy a new or reman engine, there are just too many good running 6BTs out here that the truck has fallen apart around. If you are not diesel savvy though, I would steer clear of any that are not completely stock, I think that is where you would get into trouble.
The following users liked this post:
nonrev (08-02-2018)