1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Early and late model VE pumps, and a survey

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2006, 07:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Early and late model VE pumps, and a survey

Ok, I know that there are a good amount of people on here who have their pumps maxed (IE full fuel screw bottomed out/it won't turn anymore) and their engine won't run away. I'm one of those people, and I know that wannadiesel is also one of those people from a recent post. It seems like most of these people (from the little that I've read) have later model trucks.

So, my questions is this. Does anyone know if the later model VE pumps have anything to prevent tampering? My only concern is that if I can't get my truck close to running away, I don't know if I am getting full fueling out of the pump. Maybe when dodge switched over to the intercooled version, they pump something in the pump to prevent tampering? Do the pumps that will runaway fuel harder than the ones that won't? I really have no idea, just throwing ideas out there.

Post up your year of truck and whether or not you can get your pump to runaway or not. I'd really like to know - I want to start building up a pump with a 14mm head early next year and need to know if I should try and look for an early pump.
Old 10-22-2006, 07:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mines a 89, I can get 3 turns, any more and it returns to idle slowly, an extra 1/2 its wide open.
Old 10-22-2006, 07:59 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Mine is maxed, but another turn and it will run away. And my truck is sloooww. Every other 1st gen I've been in has been (at least felt) quicker than mine...and my pump is only a year old on a rebuild
Old 10-22-2006, 08:01 PM

I have tampered with 3 non intercooled pumps, and they will run away pretty easily
Old 10-22-2006, 09:36 PM

Mine does not run away but the pump has a mopar label on it and looks far too new to be original. The previous owner was a trapper who got work done at a remote chrysler dealership. I strongly suspect it is a new pump, i.e. not a rebuild. I have had it for nearly five years and the pump seems like new. I judge it's newness comparing it to pumps I have seen posted here. Nothing on mine was anyway near as cruddy as the ones pictured on this site.
Old 10-22-2006, 10:20 PM

I have a 91.5 (early intercooled) truck. The pump has been turned up till the screw stopped & did not run away.
This pump & injectors were rebuilt (exchange??) about 67,000 miles back by a well regarded local shop.
Old 10-22-2006, 10:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My old 1991 intercooled and my 1993 had fuel screws maxed out with no sign of run away.
Old 10-22-2006, 11:14 PM

Mine is a 91 non-intercooled. I turned my fuel screw in as far as it would go after removing the collar. I had to back my idle screw all of the way out, but it doesn't run away....just. I idle at 1000 rpm in neutral.
Old 10-22-2006, 11:24 PM

Mine runs to the moon if I go any farther on the screw. 90 non-i/c
Old 10-23-2006, 05:32 AM

removed collar, got 5-6 turns till runaway, backed off 1 turn, hitting 42+ lbs boost from all that fuel, till i bumped the timing, 89 1 ton 5 sp
Old 10-23-2006, 08:12 AM

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts
1992, with a remanned pump. (that is what the tag says and it is painted a sandy sort of yellow) It felt like the scew bottomed out. I am afraid to put any torque on it. I don't need a broke pump. I still had a couple easy turns left on the lock nut, so I am sure the threads are not a factor.
Old 10-23-2006, 08:49 AM

Exclamation Mine too runs away

Mine wounld like a 1/8 of a turn for bottoming and it would run wide open. But I have seen intercooled models do the same. I belive it all has to do with how well the pump it cowlibrated for fuel. How it was set up on the flow bench when it was new. My truck is a 91 non intercooled models
Old 10-23-2006, 09:44 AM

is it also an issue of the injector size?

don't the non-IC have a 9mm injector and the IC drop to a 7mm? (that was the numbers I thought I remembered reading)...

Greg
Old 10-23-2006, 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by BigWaylon
is it also an issue of the injector size?

don't the non-IC have a 9mm injector and the IC drop to a 7mm? (that was the numbers I thought I remembered reading)...

Greg
I don't think so. There are plenty of later model 1st gen guys running larger injectors than the stock non IC injectors.

I still wonder if an early pump can push more fuel than a later model pump?
Old 10-23-2006, 12:06 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
What do you guys mean when you say "runaway". I always thought that it meant uncontrollable max rpm or does it mean it will rev until something breaks. I remember hearing too that the non I/C have a larger injector than the I/C. That might be a factor.

To add to the comparison, I maxed out my screw with the collar off on my 91.5 and it runs perfect. I just had to drop the idle back down. The rpm is very snappy and drops back to idle instantly. I also have the star wheel cranked down, the smoke screw in a bit, the stock fuel pin set deepest and the timing bumped. Maybe these other settings affect peoples runaway tendencies.

Quick Reply: Early and late model VE pumps, and a survey