1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Didn't get the 93, thanks for the good thoughts anyways.

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2004, 09:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Didn't get the 93, thanks for the good thoughts anyways.

It just had too many flaws.

It needs paint right away, Texas pin-striping is fun and all, but the fading is extreme, and the body had a few odd dents in bad spots, and a bondo patch with a crack on one fender.

Tires are just ok.

Windshield right away, wouldn't pass Utah safety inspection.

Leaking wheel cylinder, he had the parts, but I think I would have changed it out before driving 650 miles home, (AutoTrader uses as-the-crow-flys distances, they said 460 miles!) not a fun prospect in a Phoenix parking lot in July.

It just needs too much right this second, I will be tapped after a big ticket purchase (for me, anyways) like this, if any couple things were better, then maybe...

This is the kicker though, and it's the one question I forgot to ask on the phone, there is a gooseneck hole in the bed. That rules it out for me, too heavy of towing going on there.

$200 in gas and the search goes on.

I did get to see Glen Canyon dam and a little side trip to the north rim of the Grand Canyon, but I was sure wishing it was in Cummins 4x4.

Edit: In all fairness, I should point out the truck runs very strong, shifts strong, and stops pretty good.

The owner just did a lock-up TC and new trans, both from Hughes, and they seem to work just fine.

Good truck for someone, just not me.

I hope to get more for 10k.
Old 07-10-2004, 10:33 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Guy wouldn't budge on the price, huh? It's amazing what these trucks sell for, a gasser version of that same truck wouldn't bring $3k.
Old 07-10-2004, 10:38 PM

Re: Didn't get the 93, thanks for the good thoughts anyways.

Originally posted by Don H
Good truck for someone, just not me.

I hope to get more for 10k.
You deserve more for $10k. You'll find one.
Old 07-10-2004, 11:58 PM

That's the bad thing about having to travel to find a truck - pictures never do them justice, and you just can't always rely on the seller to be 100% honest about the condition.

I found my truck in Phoenix, but luckily it's only an hour drive for me.

I looked at quite a few trucks locally - all of them total junk - before I found mine. Good luck.
Old 07-11-2004, 07:26 AM

I drove 650 miles to get mine last weekend. I know what you are feeling. The PO told me it didn't need anything except for front brakes. I guess some of us see things a little diferently than others. He did come off of the price a great deal without me even offering less. I got it and drove it home 650 miles. Yeah it needs a little work but for the price I couldn't turn it down. I like to work on them too. As long as it doesn't get too expensive. Keep looking there are some nice truck out there. I know of one in NE for sale. 92 club cab le 4x4 5 speed with a bunch of new parts on it. That is where I was going to head to.
Old 07-11-2004, 07:44 AM
I was banned per my own request for speaking the name Pelosi

He was probably trying to recoup some of the cost of the lock-up upgrade. Anybody that has restored a car will tell you, it's not worth any more than what people are willing to pay for it. Doesn't matter how much you invest.
Old 07-11-2004, 09:30 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I saw a couple in washington state. looked nice but as you said pics lie. At the rate im goin I might be headin that way eventually. There is NOTHING in these parts to be had.
Old 07-11-2004, 10:07 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Keep looking, the right truck is out there, somewhere.
Old 07-12-2004, 02:22 PM

I agee with the others. I looked for 17 months before I got my D250. Yeah, I wanted a W250, but I really only needed a D250. Being in the contracting business guys always think they need a 4x4. I had one for years and only used is 2 times for work in 4x4 mode!
Heck, now I've saved money on the initial purchase, insurance, fuel and my back
Anyhow, I will keep my eyes and ears open for one TEN times better looking/running than that! I have friends every other week who are selling theirs and buying new ones because they refinanced their houses!
I'll keep you posted!