1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Dead in the water: Electrical Issues

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2011, 07:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dead in the water: Electrical Issues

Well, I was all thrilled because I just picked up this 1990 Dodge D250 with a 12V Cummins in it. Woo hoo! Got it home and parked until I could work on it. Started with some little stuff today, replaced hood release cable, cleaned battery connections, etc. Went to start it, nothing. Not a click, not a light on dash. Tried to jump it, had NO indications of power. The truck WAS running when I parked it. Is it possible some fusible link or cable is so corroded that I might have caused failure just by moving it? I've had dead batteries before, but have never seen a vehicle that showed NOTHING during an attempted jump. If anybody could point me in a direction as far as troubleshooting, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Old 01-27-2011, 07:46 PM

Received 1,637 Likes on 1,112 Posts
I had the exact same problem, last week.

I first disconnected the solenoid wire @ the battery and jumped the positive to the solenoid wire lead in the connector. The connector is a black disconnect @ the battery terminal. For a brief second, I connected both terminals with an open paperclip. The starter turned over, and I pulled the wire out fast, as not to run the starter for other than my test.

When I wiggled the wires around on the fuel cutoff relay, I realized that one of the wires that lead up and into the relay had pulled loose. Reinstalled the wire, and the truck not starting issue was over.

Look @ the relay (first one towards the battery) under the hood and see if the wires are loose, or wiggling them causes the truck to start when the key is turned on.

Good luck

BTW... I found out most of this information in the sticky.
Old 01-27-2011, 08:31 PM
Cummins Guru

Received 64 Likes on 44 Posts
You probally forgot to put the fusible link wire back on the positive cable. Check your wires to the battery.
Old 01-29-2011, 07:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks, fellas.

Your replies much appreciated. I usually like to "lurk" a forum, as most of the questions I could think of have already been answered. Hell, I "lurked" the Mercedes diesel forum for five years before I ever made a post. This time around I was just in a jam and a hurry, needed the truck fast. I think I left a black connector off. After replacing, cleaning, tightening all flakey-looking terminals, and cleaning the hell out of anything that was a ground, she's good to go.
Old 01-30-2011, 07:28 AM

Received 1,637 Likes on 1,112 Posts
Good to hear you're back up and running

The only reason I posted to your question was that the exact same thing happened to me not more than a few days ago.

I'm still newbie-in and it will take a few years before I really know anything about these trucks.