1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Dash/taillight fuse keeps blowing

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2015, 10:34 PM

Received 48 Likes on 27 Posts
Dash/taillight fuse keeps blowing

I have a '91 W250 5 speed that keeps blowing the dash/taillight fuse. I've searched and searched the threads and many have had this problem but none have ever followed up with what the issue was that kept popping the fuse. Was hoping someone could chime in with the possible cause for it. I'm hoping it's something that's been a common problem that someone has already figured out. I'm banking on it being a bad headlight switch or bare wire. Any help is appreciated.
Old 11-29-2015, 11:38 PM

Received 1,332 Likes on 862 Posts
I'm betting on the grounds, Redo all your grounds. Remove, sandpaper clean all connections, and re-install.
Old 11-30-2015, 11:34 AM

Received 209 Likes on 152 Posts
I disagree with TC. Open grounds won't blow fuses. Look for a bad bulb socket or pinched wire. I've found a few pinched by the spare tire.
Old 11-30-2015, 03:50 PM

Received 1,332 Likes on 862 Posts
Originally Posted by j_martin
I disagree with TC. Open grounds won't blow fuses. Look for a bad bulb socket or pinched wire. I've found a few pinched by the spare tire.
OK fair enough...but still good advice right....
Old 11-30-2015, 05:03 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Check your trailer wiring harness and plug...just got a 1991 with dead short in the dash light/running light/tail light circuit...turned out to be a bent copper spade in the trailer harness plug that made contact with the metal plug body and immediately blew the fuse as soon as you pulled the light switch out....I have owned several trucks that were fire hazards when I got them due to inept trailer or auxiliary wiring.
Old 11-30-2015, 06:23 PM

Thanks guys. I'll check all 3. I did notice that the front passenger side fender marker bulb was blown and totally black. The bulb also fits loose and works intermittently in this socket. I pulled the old bulb out and left it out. I then put in a new dash light fuse and it still blew. Can a bad lamp socket still short the system even without a bulb in it? BTW, the trailer wiring is hacked up so that might be the problem if it's not the socket.
Old 11-30-2015, 11:21 PM

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
If you've done recent work to your truck check in that area. I repaired a fuel tank on a different vehicle and ended up pinching a wire between a washer when I was tightening everything down on the frame. Took me a bit of thinking to realize the problem
Old 11-30-2015, 11:29 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
I think you are looking for a pinched or chafed wire somewhere...where to look kind of depends on the condition of your trucks wiring. I would look at the most obvious locations...the harnesses to the lights in the front and back...the license plate light wires, and certainly any trailer wiring. A dead short like this is generally caused by a wire making direct contact to a ground. I thinks its unlikely to be in the cab unless you see evidence of a hack electrician.. like improperly installed lights, gauges or other add-ons.
Old 11-30-2015, 11:57 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
These harnesses have a lot of sub harnesses that you can unplug to pinpoint the problem area. I'd start at the trailer wiring because most of the time it is not done very good then I'd disconnect both of the tail light harnesses, if the fuse still bows then move to the front of the truck and do the same. Once you get the fuse to stop blowing then you can take a closer look the the sub harness that is causing the problem. If all else fails jump across the fuse with a 10 gauge wire and look for smoke.......Just kidding.
Old 12-01-2015, 06:59 AM

Originally Posted by honobiahunter
Thanks guys. I'll check all 3. I did notice that the front passenger side fender marker bulb was blown and totally black. The bulb also fits loose and works intermittently in this socket. I pulled the old bulb out and left it out. I then put in a new dash light fuse and it still blew. Can a bad lamp socket still short the system even without a bulb in it? BTW, the trailer wiring is hacked up so that might be the problem if it's not the socket.
Nobody seems to have answered the question. It is yes.

I'd be looking at the hack wiring with a jaundiced eye.
Old 12-01-2015, 07:49 AM
Administrator

Received 171 Likes on 129 Posts
Originally Posted by j_martin
Nobody seems to have answered the question. It is yes.

I'd be looking at the hack wiring with a jaundiced eye.
I would be focused on the hacked wiring like an Ethiopian on a T-Bone..........
Old 12-01-2015, 09:04 AM

Y'all are cracking me up. Thanks for all the helpful replies. I'll start with the trailer wiring and if that's not it I'll start isolating different areas by unplugging the sub harnesses. If all else fails I may resort to a 10 gauge jumper wire across the fuse and then walk quickly away when it starts to smoke. LOL
Old 12-01-2015, 08:50 PM

One more electrical gremlin

now my radio has went dead. I checked the fuse for it and it's still good. I'm wondering if this problem is related to my dash light fuse continually blowing.
Old 12-02-2015, 07:41 AM

It's a first gen CTD Dodge.

...million mile motor
...150,000 mile body
....35,000 mile electrical system.

Maybe the radio itself died. You need to probe connections to know what's up.
Old 12-02-2015, 01:57 PM

Received 347 Likes on 286 Posts
Originally Posted by honobiahunter
BTW, the trailer wiring is hacked up so that might be the problem...
^
Prime suspect. Mine was blowing because I had some extra trailer wiring (camper actually) getting pinched/worn by my toolbox. I'd hit bump in the road and lights out.

Quick Reply: Dash/taillight fuse keeps blowing