1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Conversion from auto to manual

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2016, 11:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Conversion from auto to manual

Truck I have is a 91 12 valve cummins, the 46RE OD decided to go out. I intend on rebuilding the complete transmission & it will be for sale.
I have a chance to buy a complete manual NV4500 system out of 96 12 valve Cummins.
What must I get if anything for the conversion?
Thanks
Doug
Old 05-19-2016, 06:34 AM

Received 2,392 Likes on 1,576 Posts
Doug, welcome to DTR!

First question I would have is do you have a 2wd or 4x4 truck?

I am guessing since you mentioned OD transmission, you have a '91.5 12V with the A-518 auto in it? Correct?
You have a intercooler in this truck…right?

The RE transmissions started in '96 with the 47RE and the "E" in it stands for electronically controlled shift.

I can not offer much help until I know that information.
Old 05-19-2016, 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by oliver foster
Doug, welcome to DTR!

First question I would have is do you have a 2wd or 4x4 truck?

I am guessing since you mentioned OD transmission, you have a '91.5 12V with the A-518 auto in it? Correct?
You have a intercooler in this truck…right?

The RE transmissions started in '96 with the 47RE and the "E" in it stands for electronically controlled shift.

I can not offer much help until I know that information.
Yes, the truck is a 4x4 with an intercooler. I only wish it were a real 4x4. Right front locks in & left rear spins.
Old 05-19-2016, 03:04 PM

You will need the adapter plate and starter off the 2nd gen and you will need to source a NP-205 with the proper 29 splines.
You will then need to figure out a way to make the 4x4 linkage work with the passengers drop T-case or buy it from Advance Adapters.
The driveshafts will need to be [rear] lengthened and [front] shortened.
You will need roughly a 2 inch square spacer block for above the transmission crossmember.
You will need to move the transmission crossmember back one hole and re drill the frame for it.
That is the short and sweet of most of the work before you.
Old 05-19-2016, 03:39 PM

You will need the adapter plate and starter off the 2nd gen and you will need to source a NP-205 with the proper 29 splines.
You will then need to figure out a way to make the 4x4 linkage work with the passengers drop T-case or buy it from Advance Adapters.
You will need roughly a 2 inch square spacer block for above the transmission crossmember.
You will need to move the transmission crossmember back one hole and re drill the frame for it.
Oliver,
I am getting everything from a truck that's being parted out. The drive shafts will come along & I figured the rear will need to be shortened, cross member, all the linkage bell housing, clutch, transfer case just everything.
My question now will be, will the adapter plate from this second gen work on my 91.5? I know I will need a new starter, I'll just get the one on the truck.
Thanks
Doug
Old 05-19-2016, 04:17 PM

Doug,
You are not following me.
The 4x4 linkage off the NV-4500 with be NO use as it is on the wrong side of the truck.
It is on the drivers side you NEED it on the passengers side.
You want to re-use your 1st gen crossmember as I described, not try to make the 2nd gen one fit your 1st gen frame.
The rear 2nd drive shaft will have a slip yoke not a U-joint on the T-case side. So again do it like I explained before, lengthen your 1st gen one.
You might be able to use the 2nd gen front driveshaft if you have it on hand.
The NP-241 Transfer case with the drivers side drop will be NO use on a 1st gen with a passenger side pumpkin on your front axle.
You will need the 29 spline NP-205, like I listed before.
No, your 23 spline auto T-case will NOT just bolt up.
The NP-205 can be converted to 29 splines, but it is not a easy bolt together thing.
Re- read my last post, it is pretty spot on as a starting point for this swap.
I have done this a few times before.

Yes the 2nd gen adapter plate will just bolt on your 1st gen motor.
Old 05-19-2016, 06:41 PM

Received 95 Likes on 64 Posts
Doug to chime in on Oli's advice. I have swapped in three NV4500's into first gens. Two auto's and one getrag swap. I used the Advance Adapter kit every time. The one thing I changed was I made a heavy duty shifter rod as the AA one was weak and bent when I tried to get one truck into 4wd.
Old 05-19-2016, 07:04 PM

I was also less then impressed with the quality and fitment of the AA "Z" gated 4x4 shifter parts when I use them on my black crew build.
The following users liked this post:
thrashingcows (05-22-2016)
Old 05-19-2016, 10:11 PM

I was thinking that you might not of known that I had the complete truck available to me. I understand completely & many thanks to both Oliver & Freight Train.
Old 05-20-2016, 07:35 AM

Glad to help.
Any questions on this swap just post it up here.
I check into DTR usually a few times a day to see what my Dodge friends are up too.
This place is great for us guys with the Dodge Cummins addiction.
mknittle (05-20-2016)
Old 05-20-2016, 08:14 PM

I also have the pedals, correct driveshafts, and most of the other needed to make this swap easy sitting in my shop if you get to that point.
I don't have a spare 29 spline NP-205.
Old 05-20-2016, 10:07 PM

I also have the pedals, correct driveshafts, and most of the other needed to make this swap easy sitting in my shop if you get to that point.
I don't have a spare 29 spline NP-205.
Well, it seems I won't be getting the tranny. I wanted to in the worse way but the leader of the house said not this time, just repair the 46RE. This goes against my grain so bad but I am sure many if not all you have been in the same boat.
I just want to thank you guys for all the info, help & hint.
Thank you again.
Doug
Old 05-21-2016, 06:53 AM

Well, I am the leader of my house [not married]. So when I want to buy a truck or a part and eat oatmeal and Ramen for the week. I just do it.

When you go to rebuild this trans. I would call it a A-518 transmission at the parts store or transmission shop.
As I mentioned above the RE transmissions started in '96 Dodges so that is not the right term and you will likely get the wrong parts.
There are lots of guys on here that have great info on auto rebuilds. I would not be one of them.
I know they can be build to be very reliable.
You are welcome for the info Doug and again,... Welcome to DTR!
Oliver
mknittle (05-21-2016)
Old 05-21-2016, 03:37 PM

Well, I am the leader of my house [not married]. So when I want to buy a truck or a part and eat oatmeal and Ramen for the week. I just do it.

When you go to rebuild this trans. I would call it a A-518 transmission at the parts store or transmission shop.
As I mentioned above the RE transmissions started in '96 Dodges so that is not the right term and you will likely get the wrong parts.
There are lots of guys on here that have great info on auto rebuilds. I would not be one of them.
I know they can be build to be very reliable.
You are welcome for the info Doug and again,... Welcome to DTR!
Oliver
Smart man to stay single. They are fun to play around with but they suck the life & money out of a person.

That's righ, I forgot the 46RE is incorrect. What I don't understand with this is why do they correspond the 46RE with this year of tranny? I agree with you about telling the shops it's a A-518! I don't trust the 46RE title description.
Thank you again.
Old 05-21-2016, 08:09 PM

IIRC they call it a 46 RH as well, but I always just call them a A-518 ['91.5-'93].
The 47 RH auto is '94 and '95 only, the 47 RE is '96-'02, and after that I am not interested in what they use.
The following 2 users liked this post by oliver foster:
mknittle (05-21-2016), thrashingcows (05-22-2016)

Quick Reply: Conversion from auto to manual