1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Continuous white smoke and missing/popping

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2017, 12:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Continuous white smoke and missing/popping

Hi there! This is my first post on here, so forgive me if I doing this wrong. Anyways I have been lurking for a while trying to solve my issue but cannot find a thread that is similar to my problem.
So here we go, I bought new injectors for it a little bit ago and just now got around to installing them. I had installed them with the thinnest washer that came with the kit. Also I went through the injection pump while I was doing this because it needed new seals, mind you I was careful to pin the pump and not move anything else to prevent messing up the timing of the pump.

After all that was done I took for a test drive around the block to see if was running better and if I had alleviated any of the problems that I had before, which I didn't. LOL The truck was running alright but about a mile down the road, I went to pull away from a stop sign and it started belching white smoke. I mean a lot. Anyways I pulled over and shut it down. Started it back up and drove it back to the shop, while continuing with the white smoke and popping/missing. The Injectors I bought are rebuilds and I am not sure if that has anything to do with it or if I messed up somewhere in the pump. Any advice would be super helpful. I am college kid still learning about these trucks and trying to wrench on a college budget. I grew up on a farm so I know how to turn a wrench too. Thanks in advance!
Old 11-19-2017, 03:14 AM
KRB

Received 495 Likes on 349 Posts
Welcome to the Forum!

I'm afraid I can't help much in the injector/pump department but can tell you that the white smoke is probably raw unburned fuel, for whatever reason.

It might be helpful to also know what the truck was doing before you replaced the injectors and rebuilt the pump? Was it running the same or different?

Those that know will chime in.
Old 11-19-2017, 06:48 AM

Received 2,385 Likes on 1,575 Posts
I would guess it is a timing issue.
I usually see white smoke when my trucks are not timed enough, or I have a restriction in fuel delivery, like air in the fuel lines or a gelling fuel filter.

Did the key away in the injection pump stay in place, or did the timing slip at that stop light?
Did all the injector lines go back on in the right order?
Maybe just a few things to check.
Old 11-19-2017, 10:53 AM

Received 535 Likes on 391 Posts
You may have a pintle in one or more of the injectors stuck, therefore flooding the combustion chamber with fuel. I recently purchased new, quality injectors and #4 had a debris in it that held that pintle open, and I got all the symptoms you're describing. How I knew something was wrong was I slowly cracked open each injector nut and saw high pressure fuel spraying out, and the idle would change. So, for your knowledge that's a good thing. Then when I got to #4, it was not spraying fuel, but instead foaming air bubbles, and no idle change.

The vendor I bought it from replaced the injector like way quick, with no questions asked whatsoever
Old 11-20-2017, 07:44 AM

Received 262 Likes on 163 Posts
Not knowing what problems you had before is a hindrance to diagnosing problem now. However I will say that it looks like something you did. First thing I would do is put the original injectors back in it. If that fixes it then you know where the problem is. If it doesn't I would pull the pump and check that the woodruff key didn't slip out.
Old 11-21-2017, 03:23 PM

Received 308 Likes on 234 Posts
Did you remove the pump from the engine?