1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

coilover CTD?

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2007, 05:59 PM

Received 78 Likes on 51 Posts
coilover CTD?

Im surprised I haven't seen anyone do a coilover system to a 1st gen diesel. I've looked everywhere and cant find any info on it. Besides the links, it doesn't seem like it would be all that hard.

Anyone seen it done? I saved myself a bunch of money by buying old, I figure I may as well spend a bit on my 92 ctd 4x4.
Old 08-26-2007, 06:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What is a coil over system

I hope I am not the only one who doesn't know what that is.
Old 08-26-2007, 07:01 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I dont think making upper shock mounts beefy enough for coil-overs would be worth it IMHO.

Your looking @ 4K lbs on the front axle.

Then there is the 4 link....

It would ride however you needed it to though.
Old 08-26-2007, 07:26 PM
Muted User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Build a long arm 4 link setup, they sell them as bolt on kits all day long for 2nd Gen trucks, a set of long travel king coilovers, you wouldn't use the stock mounts, build a set of hoops and connect them with an engine cage, you would either swap to full hydraulic or heimed crossover steering.

coilover: http://www.desertrides.com/reference...s/coilover.jpg

4 link: http://www.setstr8.com/images/ford97kit.jpg

engine cage: http://www.camburg.com/images/Ranger...ine%20cage.jpg

I'm sure Don Thuren could built you a nice little setup, www.thurenfabrication.com
Old 08-26-2007, 10:20 PM

yeah I dont imagine it would be too hard. I could just build a bolt on link system to keep it legal, im not sure what the laws are here around canada but im suure i could get away with it. The most expensive part would be the coilovers, and driveshafts. I plan on keeping this truck a while, may as well build it to suit.
Old 08-26-2007, 10:30 PM

sounds sweet you could go as high as you want maybe 49" IROKs and some cv joints on the front drive shaft clock your t-case and youd be set
Old 08-26-2007, 10:48 PM

ahaha. I dunno about 49'' tires.......thats pretty big. I was thinking more along the lings of some 37'' toyo's. Do some fender trimming then i'd be set
Old 08-27-2007, 02:40 AM

I been thinkin' the same thing Mopowa.

It's most definitely do-able. Just having access to the torch/welder/bender/plasma cutter/time to do it/etc. Is what's stopping me.
That nerdbag cancuck Ian Johnson got me thinkin' about it when he/they did a coilover for their Suburban Gorilla project. They used junkyard upper bucket seats and from what I remember fabbed and/or pieced the rest of it.

Tell ya what, you do a write up that is "sticky" worthy (detailed pics included) and I'll be the first to follow!
Old 08-27-2007, 08:25 AM

I have been thinking about an airbag system for my truck and beefing up the front top mounts would be the only hard part.
Old 08-27-2007, 10:51 AM
Muted User

Originally Posted by dan1stgen
sounds sweet you could go as high as you want maybe 49" IROKs and some cv joints on the front drive shaft clock your t-case and youd be set
who would guess that you was from florida with that comment........
Old 08-27-2007, 06:20 PM

Go drive a 2nd gen like mine ( everything new and you still don't know where it wants to go next)and you'll think about just adding airbags to the
front of your first gen and smooth out the ride.
Old 08-27-2007, 10:55 PM
Muted User

sounds like you need an alignment if its wandering that bad or something isnt right.
Old 08-27-2007, 11:49 PM

Yeah i was thinking about finding a wrecked 2nd gen diesel and cutting the buckets out, and using lifted coils. Build my own beefy links and pitman arm, and i'd be in business. I was thinkin about airbags as well, but it just seems to me a coil would be easier to deal with........though the on board air would be nice. Im going to start collecting some parts, when i get some time to take the truck off the road i'll start building and snappin pics for you all.

What kind of heim joints do you all think i should look into? The front will have to be pretty beefy.
Old 08-28-2007, 01:32 AM
KRB

Received 497 Likes on 350 Posts
Originally Posted by leper
I have been thinking about an airbag system for my truck and beefing up the front top mounts would be the only hard part.
Bags up front is the way I'd like to go. Several here have cobbled their own together. Just seems like a good way to handle the extra weight of the CTD, especially when yours leaves have the frown . Bags are relatively cheap now, just need to build and mount the brackets...
Old 08-28-2007, 07:39 AM

I've been interested to know how the bags ride in front with a setup running bags with the frowning leaves. I am planning on building a parallel 4-link for the rear and running bags, but for the front, I am still not sure what I want to do. I am concerned it would take too much pressure to overcome the sagging leaves to where the ride would still be rough at the proper height on the front.

MoPowa, I am still not sure if I would use heims or bushing type rod ends. Heims can be rough and noisy for street use, and with a truck like this you don't need crazy suspension travel.

Quick Reply: coilover CTD?