1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Canada to United States....a pain?

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2009, 11:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Canada to United States....a pain?

i live in spokane Wa and i have noticed that all the nice first gens are hidding up there in canadia i was wondering if any of you guys ever bought a canadian truck and imported it to the u.s. ? one of my buddys has a canadian jeep but he doesn't know the story behind it. i know the speedos in klms but that doesn't bug me. i always go with the flow of traffic anyways. what does bother me though is how much canadians want for their first gens! sometimes upward of 15k! thanks guys
Old 09-02-2009, 11:42 PM

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
yeah how much some first gens go for up here is aggravating! At least you got the dollar conversion in your favor. Albeit a small difference right now, but a difference nonetheless. Seeing as how you live in WA I'd say buying a first gen from BC could be a good buy. You could just call both the US border and the Canadian border and check with them. Search it online too, you'll likely find out what you need off a US gov. site via google.
Old 09-02-2009, 11:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Going from USA to Canada isn't a huge deal. Basically paperwork, some inspections and taxes/fees etc. Going into the US might be more difficult as they are usually more strict but you'd have to search.
Old 09-02-2009, 11:45 PM

British Columbia checking in.
We use road salt up here so the trucks rust out, we also dont have the population that WA has, so there's is actually a lot more trucks in WA then there is here. Probably why the cost so much.
Both my parts truck and crew cab were US trucks.
Old 09-02-2009, 11:51 PM

If you are OK with paying $15K for a 15+ year old truck, there has to be one you will like on this side of the border, for less $$. On the other hand things tend to rot less in the cold, so buying a truck that has been stored in a freezer all it's life might not be a bad idea
Old 09-03-2009, 12:02 AM

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
Buying a truck the is stored in a freezer six months of the year is only a good idea if it doesn't see the Hiway like johny5 says. My 350 was a welding truck in NWT and hardly any rust. My parts truck from Alberta and Fred Flintstone would find it drafty.
Old 09-03-2009, 07:32 AM

The best deals for these 1st gens is in the U.S. You're wasting your time looking up here. I bought all mine down under, specifically from California and Nevada to avoid the rust issue.

There's always a deal on line, if you're willing to look and search.

Good luck,
Old 09-03-2009, 09:05 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No doubt about it, the better deals are south. In Saskatchewan, instead of salt, we use potash tailings which eats metal on vehicles down to -37 instead of salt which stops working at -18. I love to see the red stuff on the highways!!!!
Old 09-03-2009, 12:14 PM

thanks guys. im close to vancouver though and thats where they all are. theres hardy nothin in east canada on craigslist but tons on the west. nice rust free ones too.
Old 09-03-2009, 05:01 PM
366 Spring Chicken

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
I bought a Canadian Lobster boat. The hardest part was transfering the money. After 911 the international bank transfers are harder.