1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Can anyone explain this to me?

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2006, 04:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Can anyone explain this to me?

Ok guys, look at my signature. I have an old '89 that just rolled over 277,000 miles. But just before she did I had the pump rebuilt from a guy in Chattanooga, TN because it started leaking. Don't know why but it did. I also had a local mechanic adjust the valves and give it a tune up. I then put a K&N air filter on it and man alive that sucker came to life. The truck has more power than it has ever had and the transmission shifts smoother. But the thing is, the man who rebuilt the pump told me that he turned the pump down? He said it was set wide open and he turned it down to about 20% over the stock Dodge setting. How can that give me more power? How would that make my tranny shift better and hold like it should? I dunno what kind of magic potion those guys put in my ol ride but they sure did make it run better. And that K&N sure makes the turbo scream Loosely translated that makes me really happy.
Old 10-17-2006, 04:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by efbeason
Ok guys, look at my signature. I have an old '89 that just rolled over 277,000 miles. But just before she did I had the pump rebuilt from a guy in Chattanooga, TN because it started leaking. Don't know why but it did. I also had a local mechanic adjust the valves and give it a tune up. I then put a K&N air filter on it and man alive that sucker came to life. The truck has more power than it has ever had and the transmission shifts smoother. But the thing is, the man who rebuilt the pump told me that he turned the pump down? He said it was set wide open and he turned it down to about 20% over the stock Dodge setting. How can that give me more power? How would that make my tranny shift better and hold like it should? I dunno what kind of magic potion those guys put in my ol ride but they sure did make it run better. And that K&N sure makes the turbo scream Loosely translated that makes me really happy.
My guess is that it was stock and he turned it up a little.........or it was badly worn and is build more pressure ? i don't now
Old 10-17-2006, 04:40 PM

I would gather that your injection pressures are higher now and that is contributing to the power boost. As to the transmission, perhaps they adjusted the throttle valve cable when they reinstalled the pump. It may have been misadjusted before.
Old 10-17-2006, 08:23 PM

i am in the chatt. area. let me just say the first year i owned my 90 i never got the same answer to a question twice from so called diesel techs.
Old 10-17-2006, 10:59 PM

i have a 300d mercedes with an automatic and after i adjusted the valves it shifted way better and ran easier down the road. going to have to roll my 93 in this fall for a vavle adjust.
Old 10-18-2006, 07:50 AM

Thanks guys. I would definitely have to say that a valve adjustment is worth the $ it costs. I simply cannot believe the difference in my truck after the work was done to it. It gets better fuel mileage and has tons more power. I heard others talk about the difference a K&N would make and I thought they were just blowing hot air . After I took the plunge, I will never run another stock air filter on my Cummins! From now on it's K&N all the way. Thanks for all the input. Keep the threads cummin!
Old 10-18-2006, 08:04 AM
Banned

efbeason

Who did the pump in Chattanooga. I am about 70 miles from there and
have a spare pump I would like to have checked out.

Old 10-18-2006, 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by 59FORD
efbeason

Who did the pump in Chattanooga. I am about 70 miles from there and
have a spare pump I would like to have checked out.

Hey there,

I do not know. But the local mechanic I took my truck to should know. I will get in touch with him and get back with you on this. Thanks for the reply!
Old 10-18-2006, 09:36 AM
Just a plain ole guy

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
My guess would be the valve adjustment, not the other changes, and especially not that air filter that made the diffrence.
Old 10-18-2006, 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by charliez
My guess would be the valve adjustment, not the other changes, and especially not that air filter that made the diffrence.
I am going to have to disagree with that. The air filter made a difference. Granted, it was not like putting POD's in it but the difference was noticable. I think, however, you might be onto something with the valve adjustment. I think that made a huge difference in how it mixes the air and fuel now. I am no expert on diesel engines but I do know that when you get the air and fuel mixture right it makes everything run smoother. Keep 'em coming!
Old 10-19-2006, 12:34 PM
Banned

Keep an eye on that intake hose after a few thousand miles of running the K&N. When I moved back to MO, I had 3 of them that wouldnt filter any better than your average window screen. Even got one new one from K&N. Same result. I reoiled it, let it sit for 2 days, and sealed the ends in the filter box with silicone; still leaked dirt THROUGH it. Held it up to the sun, and light came through. I gave one away, pitched the other 2, as I couldnt get a refund from AutoZone or K&N w/o the original receipt.

Others have said that the K&N filters just fine where they are, so just keep an eye on it.

I'd say the valve adjustment made a bigger difference than the filter alone. But, you also had a lot of stuff done, so it's hard to really tell.

Daniel
Old 10-19-2006, 03:36 PM

my 93 came with a k&n in it and i wash it , let it dry and oil it good and reinstall now you guys got me wondering how good it works have to pull the hose off now. better safe than sorry though
Old 10-19-2006, 04:11 PM

Hey guys,

I really appreciate all the info. I will definitely keep an eye on the K&N. When I bought it I asked the salesperson at Advance Auto Parts if it would filter as well as a stock filter and he said it would filter better. Others have told me the same thing. But, then again, I have had others tell me that it will not. I really hope it does because I really like it so far but if it won't filter the air right I will pitch mine in the garbage. I did have quite a bit done to my truck and it is hard to pinpoint exactly what made the difference but I really love it now! Even if I do pitch the K&N the truck is functionally like a different ride.
Old 10-19-2006, 04:43 PM

If you want to keep the dirt out you will need to charge the filter(clean and oil it) often. there will be some of the oil that will go thru the filter but oil is not a problem with the oil charged filters(in our trucks) is the dirt after the oil gone!

if you had a newer truck with a intake air sensor before the turbo.....the oil would kill it in a vary short time if it was over charged....at all

JUST MY .02