1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Brake Troubles

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2007, 07:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brake Troubles

for some reason lately my brake pedals has been migrating its way toward the floor to stop . what should i do to fix this. is it possible for the rear brakes to be this out of adjustment. i see to leaks in the system.
Old 04-22-2007, 07:36 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
You see two leaks or no leaks?

Is the pedal just low or does it sink out from under your foot?

If there are no leaks and it's just low, then a brake adjustment will set things right.
Old 04-23-2007, 08:39 AM

Sometimes the self adjusters go bad get a break spoon and manually do them crank them till tight and back off about 10 clicks. You may need to put a small screw driver in the hole too to push the self adjuster back while using the spoon. Make sure after you are done there isn't a lot of drag due to warped drums ... if so go a couple more clicks. After all this your pedel should come up a lot I know mine did. Also look for leaks when you are under there
Good Luck
Old 04-24-2007, 05:48 AM

ok now its taken a turn for the worse, now the front is making a dragging noise, the pedal is pulsating, and now instead of a slight pull to the right now it is assisting me in changing lanes. and also i know this isnt about brakes but when i get on the brakes water poured out of the top of the radiator?, and there is a bad squeel on the belt just now starting.
Old 04-24-2007, 07:49 AM

For the brakes it sounds like a caliper is hanging up, I would check into that as well as smooth out the slides they run on.

As for the water coming from the rad I'm sorry.

I'm sure more experianced guys will jump in soon.

Good luck,
Michael
Old 04-24-2007, 08:01 AM

Sounds like the brake sensor is trying to tell you something why don't you just pull the wheels and look? ..... & put a cap on the rad
Old 04-24-2007, 10:09 AM

Received 126 Likes on 70 Posts
When the rears are not working, the fronts overheat and warp. I found this out the hard way.
Look at the rotors and see if there are any surface cracks/discoloration.
Old 04-24-2007, 04:27 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Originally Posted by gomerpile
ok now its taken a turn for the worse, now the front is making a dragging noise, the pedal is pulsating, and now instead of a slight pull to the right now it is assisting me in changing lanes. and also i know this isnt about brakes but when i get on the brakes water poured out of the top of the radiator?, and there is a bad squeel on the belt just now starting.
Check the wheel bearing too.

Pop the belt off and see what is hard to turn. I bet it's the water pump.
Old 04-24-2007, 04:44 PM

ok i pulled the front tire and my driver side rotor on the engine side is all eat up, i mean some deep grooves. and on the RAD. im just going to take it to a Rad shop, but im going to change the pads and try to just turn the rotors and if it dont work buy new rotors. lukily i have an uncle who can turn them for free.
Old 04-24-2007, 06:25 PM

I don't think there is too much meat on the rotors you probably be better off to just get a couple new ones there not much because you just by the ring not the whole thing. Be sure to repack the bearings and new seals would be good too. While you're at it might as well change the fluid ..... turky baster works ok to get it out of the master then bleed it through. After you are don then check the rear's just for the hay
good luck
Old 04-24-2007, 06:52 PM
Banned

On the rad, the water pump weep hole will make a squealing noise, as the belt gets wet and then squeals. BTDT in Mom's rig.

Daniel
Old 04-25-2007, 02:57 PM

ok heres the kicker. new rotors and pads, but theres still a sound like metal on metal when i hit the brakes, and it pulls hard to the left at times and then it just pulls from side to side just barly so with a very loose PS it makes for some fun. and theres like a constant dragging some where, and i adjusted the rears a good bit and the pedal still sinks to the floor. and has no leaks, what is this.

in case it matters i used duralast rotors with valuecraft semi-metallic pads on the front

i really needs some opinions on this
Old 04-25-2007, 03:21 PM

Received 1,038 Likes on 763 Posts
Originally Posted by gomerpile
ok i pulled the front tire and my driver side rotor on the engine side is all eat up, i mean some deep grooves. and on the RAD. im just going to take it to a Rad shop, but im going to change the pads and try to just turn the rotors and if it dont work buy new rotors. lukily i have an uncle who can turn them for free.
Are you sure the PO didn't hook the brake line to the radiator? (I ask only because stranger things were done to the brakes on my truck.)

Edwin
Old 04-25-2007, 03:25 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Did you check the wheel bearings?
Old 04-25-2007, 05:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
my brakes have a slight pull to the right, and sometimes the pedal is like a rock, and others it just dissapears??!!

Quick Reply: Brake Troubles