1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Bonehead Move of the Year

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2006, 05:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bonehead Move of the Year

I changed my oil today, well almost. I started putting the nice clean new oil in and wouldn't ya know that the darn piece of foil under the lid decided to go right down the filler tube. Took all the oil I had just drained and put it through a coffee filter 3 times then poured it back in to try and flush it out with no luck. Finally, ran out of light, patience, and feeling in my hands so I'm done til tomorrow. Anybody got some good ideas on how to get it out?? Please!! I was thinking of pulling the cover that the filler tube is on but wasn't sure what was gonna jump out when I did so??? I'm thinking it may be stuck on the gears in there. Anybody think this is a good idea or should I just take the ten thousand bolts out of the oil pan and hope it's in there. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks
Sam
Old 02-07-2006, 05:27 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Better pull the cover. Alot of engines are ruined because of that tin foil crud. That and teflon tape.
Old 02-07-2006, 05:46 PM
P.J
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I hate those stupid things, I always take em off over on my bench before even carrying the jug to truck (not making you feel better, I know).

There have been waaaay more bone head moves so far this year, you are doing the right thing by sticking with it until you find it, and then later burn it with a propane torch.
Accidents happen, you would only be a bone head if you though to yourself "Oh, well, it's only a little piece of foil"

I'm not fimiliar with a 1st Gen, does the "Filler Tube" head straight to the pan??

I've never had an engine that didn't fill through the valve cover, so I'm no help to you.
Old 02-07-2006, 05:51 PM

Sort of, it runs down the front of the inj. pump, where the gears that drive the pump are and then straight to the oil pan.
Old 02-07-2006, 05:55 PM
P.J
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sucks because those things are the pefect size to plug up a hole. I would guess that something even smaller (like the size of a dime vs. the size of the foil which is closer to a quater) could cause serious problems.

Good Luck. Taking off that tube might be worth while.
Old 02-07-2006, 05:56 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
I would bet it's in the pan by now.
Old 02-07-2006, 06:03 PM

Darn, that cover looks like it would be alot easier to get off. I can take the pan off without taking anything else off right? Need any gaskets other then oil pan? I know on some gas motors the oil pan goes right up to the front main seal, I didn't look that close yet, was hoping I wouldn't have to.
Old 02-07-2006, 06:07 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That's not boneheaded.

If I were to change my oil and I only got one little piece of foil in the engine I would consider it a smashing success...
Old 02-07-2006, 06:08 PM

i feel sorry for you man
Old 02-07-2006, 06:13 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
I don't think you can get the pan all the way off without lifting the motor, but you might be able to get it low enough that you can reach in and fish around for the foil.

Just the oil pan gasket would be needed.

I think I would take the timing cover off first, though. There's a chance it could've got hung up on something on the way down.
Old 02-07-2006, 06:30 PM

Dave I hope you're right about it being hung up. I'll let yal know tomorrow how it goes or tonight if i get really brave(doubt it).

Aaron- you got your truck back yet?

Thanks for the help guys, I'm sure I'll need more later.
Sam
Old 02-07-2006, 06:52 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Just make sure you find that dang thing before you fire it up.

Man, that just makes me sick. Hope you find it.
Old 02-07-2006, 07:03 PM

Before you tear everything apart the filler tube unscrews from the timing cover. If you remove the hold down bracket and unscrew the tube with a pair of vice grips (being verry gentle so you dont crack it) you can see down into the timing case. You might just get lucky and be able to fish it out.
Old 02-07-2006, 07:05 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
That doesn't even come close to making the bonehead list trust me on that.
Old 02-07-2006, 07:08 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by charger 69
That doesn't even come close to making the bonehead list trust me on that.

Tell me about it; I was expecting something like sucking a flaming condom through the turbo compressor or something along that magnitude...

(You know, coming to think about it, I don't think my truck really likes me very much...)

Quick Reply: Bonehead Move of the Year