1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Best underhood light ever!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2017, 08:26 AM

Received 2,403 Likes on 1,585 Posts
Okay...that is cheap enough...
I want one now.
Thanks Augie.
Old 09-21-2017, 05:33 PM
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Thanks OP, I just ordered one for myself and my dad. Way way way better than the old school single bulb I've been using for 30 years!
Old 09-21-2017, 09:55 PM

Received 535 Likes on 391 Posts
Originally Posted by ecmexchange
Thanks OP, I just ordered one for myself and my dad. Way way way better than the old school single bulb I've been using for 30 years!
No problem. I got one for my brother, and ended up getting a second one for my reload room. Couldn't pass up the Labor Day free shipping deal. It's nice that these things fold in half, to make it nice and compact enough to fit behind the bench seat. Super cool feature is the rotating light, so one can project light to both the front and rear of the engine. Something Eastwood doesn't mention in their ad is that the light cylinders can also slide side to side on the bar that spreads out to hook onto the sides of the hood. Not much, but still a cool feature.
Old 11-26-2017, 06:18 AM
KRB

Received 497 Likes on 350 Posts
On clearance now!
Old 11-26-2017, 08:54 AM

Received 1,637 Likes on 1,112 Posts
Originally Posted by oliver foster
Okay...that is cheap enough...
I want one now.
Thanks Augie.
Hopefully not as cheap as this reviewer claims
Its $39.99 today
Attached Thumbnails Best underhood light ever!!-capture-_2017-11-26-09-51-55.png  
Old 11-26-2017, 08:58 AM
BHD

Received 386 Likes on 256 Posts
Originally Posted by NJTman
Hopefully not as cheap as this reviewer claims
Its $39.99 today
I've owned a couple cheap work lights, that turned out to be exactly what I paid for.
Old 11-26-2017, 09:00 AM

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
It is on the HF flimsy side of quality. Not SnapOn.

My first one wouldn’t turn on. Returned it, they sent me another one and it works, but the battery doesn’t last as long as they advertise and it seems to lose charge if it isn’t continually plugged in. It does throw a lot of light, though. I am disappointed.
The following users liked this post:
ecmexchange (11-27-2017)
Old 11-26-2017, 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by BHD
I've owned a couple cheap work lights, that turned out to be exactly what I paid for.
Here is the best overall light I've ever had. About $40 for the light, and $60 for the 5amp hour battery. Dropped it off a 10 foot high ladder, and it still worked, undamaged

Kind of heavy, but hangs just about anywhere.

I'm sure the Eastwood one will work fine for the occasional user, and their return /warranty policy is a good one, apparently.
Attached Thumbnails Best underhood light ever!!-1126171007-600x1067.jpg   Best underhood light ever!!-1126171010-800x450.jpg  
Old 11-26-2017, 10:28 AM

I've read all those reviews, even posted a long enough one on that light that sang the praises.

Eastwood targets the home do it yourselves crowd, not the professional mechanic. A lot of their products are overseas manufactured, and Eastwood passes those savings on to their customers.

I've unfolded and folded that light many times, and can see if not unfolded properly how it could break. A little bit of care accompanied by a lot of common sense and the light will not break on you, lol.

The charge time takes 6 hours, and yes, if used on the high setting it does not run the 1.5 hours as advertised. Mine ran an entire hour, and on low ran the 3 hours. But, you can leave it plugged in and ran on high no problem.

I truly like this light a lot. Yes, you can pay much more for a quality light, and you should do so if you work in a professional setting, and have other co workers grabbing it to borrow what's not theirs. But for what me, and a lot of you weekend wrench turners need, this is definitely in the price range.

I've since bought their professional brake flair tool. Now, if you've got the change burning a hole in your pocket, this is the tool to have! Took me like all of 30 seconds to fabricate factory looking flares, and no way I could have done that to 3/16" line with one of those wing nut type of flare tools, the ones that cost $30 at your local automotive parts houses.

Also purchased their 8" vice. Here is where Eastwood shines: I mistakenly did not see the fine print, when they had that vice on sale, that heavy items are excluded from the free shipping they had going on on one of the recent major holidays. I called them up, and told them how I've preached all the positives about their light on several diesel forums, and saw most making purchases on these lights. So I asked about some form of atta boy kick back, lol. They said they would look into it, and called me back within the hour. Long story short, I had that heavy vice shipped to me on sale, with free shipping.

Now, I know nobody else that would do that. I've had no one break their shipping rule policy for me, and for that, I'll always buy from Eastwood.
Old 11-26-2017, 10:34 AM

I believe some changes were made to the folding joint since the poor review that was given by happydawg, back in 2016. Reading thru these reviews, it looked like that model back then was the initial development of those lights, and a second gen one was produced, reinforcing the fold joint.

You all gotta agree, though, that this beats the old drop light and hands free lighting is where it's at.
The following users liked this post:
edwinsmith (11-26-2017)
Old 11-26-2017, 10:39 AM

Received 1,038 Likes on 763 Posts
I have a flood light with a big spring clamp that works reasonably well. If I didn't have it I'd certainly be looking at that one from Eastwood. I buy cheap tools from Horror Fright tools that work fine for what I do. I have to take care of them more but they work at a greatly reduced price than the "pro" stuff. If you are a pro then buy pro stuff. If you're like bigragu and me then buy the cheap stuff and be happy with it.

Edwin
Old 11-26-2017, 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by edwinsmith
I have a flood light with a big spring clamp that works reasonably well. If I didn't have it I'd certainly be looking at that one from Eastwood. I buy cheap tools from Horror Fright tools that work fine for what I do. I have to take care of them more but they work at a greatly reduced price than the "pro" stuff. If you are a pro then buy pro stuff. If you're like bigragu and me then buy the cheap stuff and be happy with it.

Edwin
Cheap tools work fine, and I (pro ballbuster) have some myself. Hobbit Freight has some swivel head ratchets that I bought years ago. They're freaking awesome. I think I paid $20 whereas Snap on would have been $300. I'm sure not all their wrenches work as well.

The occasional user will love the light, I'm sure. Its silly when someone buys a cheap tool, then cries the blues about it. They got what they paid for, and should buy a couple of them and stop their crying...

That what I do. But multiples of tools I don't care about and toss them as they fail.
Old 11-26-2017, 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by edwinsmith

Edwin
Harbor freight definitely has its place. Wheel choks as an example, the solid rubber ones for like $7 each, those are the best, along with the inexpensive magnet bowls, for throwing in your fasteners when your taking things apart. The S wrenches for accessing the VE pump bolts, those are handy, also. Another good buy if caught on sale are their 3 piece step bit drill bits.

But, to solely use HF as my main source of tools for the trade I worked at? No way. If I would've bought my tin snips from HF, I would've struggled out there, both in not accomplishing my tasks, and also from humiliation given by the old school "Wiss" users, lol.

Even over the years, the Wiss snips have gone down in quality. The best snips, are the Klenks. Made to cut stainless, right from the get go. Hamlet also makes quality tools for the tinsmith.

It cracks me up, when folks do reviews over an item that costs $40, and they say "save your money, and don't buy this. Buy this instead". Well, what were they expecting for $40, something comparable to Snapon?
Back to that light- for what it does, and the brightness of light it gives out and being able to wrench hands free, it actually is a great bargain.
Old 11-26-2017, 09:31 PM
BHD

Received 386 Likes on 256 Posts
In my opinion, because I work with tools all blessed day, that cheap tools are like cheap guns. When you need them, you don't want to ask yourself, "I hope it works". I hate cheap tools, and I hate cheap parts. Why? Because they: A) don't work at all, or B) don't work well for long. I buy Cummins parts for my Cummins and Snap On tools for my shop. I can't be messing around with stuff that is cheap and work great once in a while. The old saying holds true for my life: "Good, Fast, Cheap. Pick two". You can probably document my early service jobs east of Pittsburgh and west of Harrisburg by the trail of broken Craftsman ratchets I have thrown into the weeds along the interstates. It took me a while to realize that cheap isn't good.
Old 11-27-2017, 09:28 AM

Which is why I own almost all Makita brand tools..

Quick Reply: Best underhood light ever!!