1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

bell housing blues and other bad things

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2010, 09:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
bell housing blues and other bad things

well last week i was pulling a trailer into town and heard a bang and the truck jerked and my rear driveshaft flew across the bridge at 60 during evening rush hour...on the bridge no less..needless to say it wasnt repairable...so $340..00 later plus another $85.00 for a new transfer case yoke that was a victim of said exit act and the truck is up and going..but there is an oil leak from the transmission..so tonight after running it up to the carwash to clean it up and inspect i find that my bellhousing is broken from the bottom trans mount on the drivers side all the way over the top....this now has me wondering whats going on with the getrag..it shifts well and no grinding.... is there a front seal that is leaking or have i lunched the front bearing? so the search is on for a bellhousing and hope to get it going asap...thanks for your thoughts or input on what else may have occured
Old 06-29-2010, 10:59 PM

Received 79 Likes on 55 Posts
How did the bellhousing crack? Did the driveshaft breaking cause the damage or vice versa?
Old 06-29-2010, 11:55 PM

Received 1,332 Likes on 862 Posts
When that drive shaft lets go it can caused all kinds of thing to happen, lots of energy being released when this happens. I had a buddy drop the drive shaft in his 69 Roadrunner, it hit the road, then bounced up dented his floor and then got hung up on the exhaust. It broke his 727 tranny into 8 pieces during this.

So a cracked bellhousing....not surprised, might have cracked the input shaft, bearing retainer, or other things. You won't know until you get it out for inspection.

That really sucks, good luck!!
Old 06-30-2010, 12:36 AM

My truck has 3 driveshafts and I REALLY need to get some safety loops for them. Aside from what it can do to your truck it might go flying through someone's windshield or something...
Old 06-30-2010, 07:15 PM

i dont know honestly which came 1st i have always had a slight vibration since i bought the truck last yr and have replaced all the u joints and rebuilt the cv joint and still had trace amounts..it looks like a clean break to me and it never leaked oil till now..ive got a bell housing coming and plan to pull the assy out on fri to see what kind of a mess i have..i called the parts store tonight and ordered a new pilot bearing new throwout bearing ordered seals for the front of the trans but they told me it says i need 2 this doesnt seem right to me..also ordered a new rear main seal...figured to put all this in while its out and not take a chance later...bout all i can think of doing till fri if anyone has pn for the input shaft seal that might help track down what i need thanks again
Old 07-01-2010, 05:40 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Please use the PM system for business negotiations. The forum is NOT the place for that.