1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Bad Injector? Vibration is bugging me.

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2012, 11:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bad Injector? Vibration is bugging me.

Well i have this vibration issue, how it vibrates leads me to a miss fire. Its hard to tell with this engine. It starts fine and runs awesome at idle. You get the RPM's up a little bit, prob around 1500 its starts a vibration like a missing blade on a fan. The higher RPM you get more vibration. It does it with the clutch in clutch out sitting still. Thought it was the fan since it had a fixed bent fin, that did not change anything. thought it could of been the clutch or fly wheel, but those have less than 3000 miles on them, but anything is possible. So i started reading vibration issues on here and some talked about timing. So i bumped the timing back and it made it worse. Disconnected the KSB and didnt change a thing. I bled all the lines at every cylinder and had a noticeable change in tone. Fuel filter doesnt even have 300 miles on it. I have a 2nd Gen LP on with all 3/8" lines and regulated at 15PSI. Injection pump is pretty new but has sat a long time(prob 1 to 2 years). The engine has prob 220,000 on it now. So with all that said and the fact that when i bumped the timing back makes me think its a fuel issue, but where? It does seem that the vibration comes and goes but 90% of the time its there. The truck does not smoke at all white or black, just a puff of black at start up. I have an hx35w on there and have turned the smoke screw up, i can not get it to smoke at WOT. Egt's sit about 8 or 9 when its WOT and boost maybe gets as high as 23lbs. Thanks in advance.
Old 07-24-2012, 06:11 AM

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts
dirty injector?
Old 07-24-2012, 12:56 PM

Thats what i was wondering, there is only one way to find out. Just hoping someone had the same issue and had a solution.
Old 07-24-2012, 07:51 PM

If you can't singly out a bad injector by cracking the lines, try hitting the cylinders at the exhaust ports with a heat gun . If you don't have a heat gun use soapy bubbles , do this at first start up on a cold engine. The cold cylinder is the weak one.
Old 07-24-2012, 09:58 PM

Well i went out and did the ole thermo test. 1 was 110, 2-110,3-120,4-134,5-130, and 6 was 80. I checked the cylinders numerous times right at the exhaust port of the head and got about the same reading everytime. There was some fluctuation on a couple cylinders from 90 to 110. I also started to here a pinging coming from the engine, its faint but its there. I guess its time to pull the injectors and hope its them and not the pump. Where is a good place to get injectors? What kind of injectors should i go with having that HX35W?
Old 07-25-2012, 06:21 AM

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by crwlaway
Well i went out and did the ole thermo test. 1 was 110, 2-110,3-120,4-134,5-130, and 6 was 80. I checked the cylinders numerous times right at the exhaust port of the head and got about the same reading everytime. There was some fluctuation on a couple cylinders from 90 to 110. I also started to here a pinging coming from the engine, its faint but its there. I guess its time to pull the injectors and hope its them and not the pump. Where is a good place to get injectors? What kind of injectors should i go with having that HX35W?
Depends on how much you want to spend! I was going to tell you, you can dump ether in the intake manifold. Remove the grid heater and if the engine runs normal then it's something in your fuel delivery.
Old 07-25-2012, 07:01 AM

Received 209 Likes on 152 Posts
Originally Posted by bannerd
Depends on how much you want to spend! I was going to tell you, you can dump ether in the intake manifold. Remove the grid heater and if the engine runs normal then it's something in your fuel delivery.
I wouldn't do that........

What I would do is swap #6 injector with another, and check the temps again. If the low temp moves, it's the injectors. If it doesn't, it's something else, either compression or fuel.

You could check the compression on those 2 cylinders for comparison while the injectors are out.
Old 07-25-2012, 07:24 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
ether can hide a weak cyl, because its flash point is lower, hince why when a worn out engine won't start on diesel you give it a shot of ether to start it, so even if it smooths out you could be hiding the problem.
Old 07-25-2012, 08:51 AM

It's about a 10 minute job to swap a couple of injectors on a first gen. If you have the compression gauge adaptor, it's another 2 minutes to check compression on those 2 cylinders.

And it's a whole lot safer and easier on the engine to do it that way. Any volatile fuel introduced into the air intake is a hazard to this engine in many ways, from runaway to mechanical damage from premature ignition to flying parts injuring someone.
Old 07-25-2012, 11:27 AM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Yes, please don't shoot ether into your engine!:thumbdown:

Sent from my Paranoid Android HD2 using Tapatalk 2.
Old 07-25-2012, 01:20 PM

I have to get a compression checker, but i am most likely going to pull all 6 and do a compression check. What kind of PSI am i going to be looking for? Im also just going to get 6 injectors, probably from cpp. Just not sure which ones to get.
Old 07-25-2012, 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by crwlaway
I have to get a compression checker, but i am most likely going to pull all 6 and do a compression check. What kind of PSI am i going to be looking for? Im also just going to get 6 injectors, probably from cpp. Just not sure which ones to get.
Why don't you trouble shoot the problem, then go for parts. If you have a compression problem, ain't no injector in the world going to fix it. If you have a problem with the IP, ain't no injector going to fix it.

I've been waiting a month for a set of injectors from CPP. His reputation is golden, but he's pretty buried right now. One problem he has that he shared with me is a shortage of 12mm cores. (gen1)

If I had it to do again, I'd go find a set of junkyard stock injectors and send them in to him to rebuild. Then I'd likely get em back in 2 weeks.

I ordered a set of 7x10 SAC injectors. I'm waiting somewhat impatiently because I have a cold clanker in mine also.
Old 07-25-2012, 02:27 PM

Well i figured with over 220,000 on the injectors they are about do for replacement. That sucks about a month wait, i was kind of hoping to have the thing done within the week. How long have you been running with a cold cylinder? Any kind of damage that can result from a cold cylinder?
Old 07-25-2012, 06:54 PM

Received 79 Likes on 55 Posts
when you replaced the clutch did you see if the pilot bushing was ok? Maybe it is work or completely gone and it is causing the clutch disk to be off center and vibrating?!!?
Old 07-25-2012, 07:17 PM

Pilots is brand new, well with the clutch and flywheel. But it is possible. I just ordered a compression tester and need to make an injector puller. Just got done pulling all the injection lines off. I will pull the injectors and see what i got.

Quick Reply: Bad Injector? Vibration is bugging me.