1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

ATF readings on the dipstick

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2018, 10:01 AM

Received 535 Likes on 391 Posts
ATF readings on the dipstick

Hey, all, hope you all survived the holidays. Been awhile since I’ve posted requesting advise. This is targeted to the auto transmission owners.

My truck hasn’t been driven in a year. I start it up every once in awhile and drive it around my circle driveway, but that’s the extent of it.

I’m curious on the dipstick readings on a truck that sits. I know the proper way to check the levels on the dipstick, but my question is if one were to randomly just pull the dipstick out after the truck sat for awhile, would the level shown on the dipstick be way higher past the full mark? If so, is it due to the converter draining back the fluid back into the pan?

A year and a half ago ago when I dropped the tranny to fix that broken crankshaft thrust bearing I went ahead and changed out the seals prone to leaking, and tough to get to with the tranny in place. And, since I had a few pan bolts stripped out I went ahead and helicoiled not only those, but all the pan bolts. After everything was all put back together I had a solid, leak free engine and transmission. All was good.

Well, last week I saw some drips under the tranny pan, and the whole bottom of the pan was wet. I have a maghytec deep sump pan, and it was the ridges on the pan that had droplets of ATF running lengthwise to the ridges. That prompted me to check the dipstick, and it is showing way past the full mark. When I had the truck running after I put everything back together a year and a half ago I adjusted the ATF levels so it was a 1/4” from the full line- that is, with transmission warm, idling in Neutral.

Is it possible that not driving the truck has caused all the ATF to drain back into the pan, and if so, is there a vent port on top of the tranny that the fluid is pouring out of?

Thanks for the assistance.
Old 01-10-2018, 10:40 AM

Received 262 Likes on 163 Posts
Yes when they sit the converter will eventually drain down to the hub. Probably an extra 4 quarts or so. The vent is at the top of the pump inside the bell housing so fluid could be leaking from that but not anywhere outside the case.
The following users liked this post:
thrashingcows (01-10-2018)
Old 01-10-2018, 04:17 PM

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts
Sometimes the added level causes the o-ring on the dipstick tube to leak also.
Old 01-10-2018, 05:52 PM

Thank you, AJ and Dodgenstein.

Looking closer at the areas around the pan today, the pan’s flange connection seems wet also. Does the colder weather(along with the truck sitting undriven)affect the pan gasket at all? Just seems weird how when I got all this together a year and a half ago it was around late Spring, and all summer into Fall no drips. Then it’s colder now and these leaks came about. In fact, it didn’t leak at all last winter either, come to think of it.

There are no leaks whatsoever coming out of that bell housing access plate.

The pan gasket is that heavy duty pan gasket that’s reuseable. MagHytec doesn’t offer a channeled O ring seal on these 727/A518 pans. Can’t remember where or when I got this gasket. It’s like a formed, ridgid plastic, with ridges running the whole perimeter of the gasket, on each side of the bolt hole pattern, at top and bottom. It’s been so long, I’m wondering if MagHytec shipped this heavy duty gasket with the pan when I ordered it.
Old 01-11-2018, 06:46 AM

Received 262 Likes on 163 Posts
Originally Posted by dodgenstein
Sometimes the added level causes the o-ring on the dipstick tube to leak also.
That dipstick tube o ring will only leak when the engine is shut off but it shouldn't leak.

Augie that sounds like the Mopar gasket. Have you tried snugging the bolts up?
The following users liked this post:
mknittle (01-11-2018)
Old 01-11-2018, 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by Angry Johnny
That dipstick tube o ring will only leak when the engine is shut off but it shouldn't leak.

Augie that sounds like the Mopar gasket. Have you tried snugging the bolts up?
Will do today. Hopefully that cures it
Old 01-11-2018, 02:56 PM

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts
I know it shouldn't leak at the o-ring, but we are dealing with old O-rings, the possibility of a cracked tube due to vibration, and an increased oil level due to drainback.
Old 01-11-2018, 03:19 PM

Received 86 Likes on 70 Posts
Hey Augie how’s things.

After you you start up, move the shifter through all gear positions for a few seconds each.

Idle in N; if at less than operating temp, as long as the fluid level reaches the bottom of the cross hatched marks at a minimum, that’s just fine.

The gasket you have seems like the reusable Mopar piece.

What Mag Hytec do you have, the 2 qt extra capacity one or the extra deep one, and if you don’t remember, did you use a filter block spacer to lower the pickup.
Old 01-11-2018, 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by ofelas
Hey Augie how’s things.

After you you start up, move the shifter through all gear positions for a few seconds each.

Idle in N; if at less than operating temp, as long as the fluid level reaches the bottom of the cross hatched marks at a minimum, that’s just fine.

The gasket you have seems like the reusable Mopar piece.

What Mag Hytec do you have, the 2 qt extra capacity one or the extra deep one, and if you don’t remember, did you use a filter block spacer to lower the pickup.
At the time I got the pan I only got the deep one, not the double deep. No filter extension needed.

I’m sorta glad, too, as refilling the pan with the synthetic can be some $$. My MagHytec on my 2002 Ford Powerstroke is very deep. To completely fill the system it takes like 22 quarts. That pan alone takes 16 quarts.

The extra fluid that comes with a deep pan is nice, but I’ve always wondered if that meant just more fluid to try and keep cool. I do like the aluminum pans, though, for their heat dissipating abilities.
Old 01-12-2018, 08:52 AM
Administrator

Received 562 Likes on 411 Posts
Originally Posted by bigragu
The extra fluid that comes with a deep pan is nice, but I’ve always wondered if that meant just more fluid to try and keep cool. I do like the aluminum pans, though, for their heat dissipating abilities.
Hi Augie, that extra fluid is a great heat sync and has a lot more capacity to dissipate the heat, the more, the better. I feel your pain with the synthetic oil, not cheap, but well worth it. I buy the 15000 mile Mobil 1 and I run it 15000 miles, or 10 years, whichever comes first ...Mark
Old 01-12-2018, 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by maybe368
Hi Augie, that extra fluid is a great heat sync and has a lot more capacity to dissipate the heat, the more, the better. I feel your pain with the synthetic oil, not cheap, but well worth it. I buy the 15000 mile Mobil 1 and I run it 15000 miles, or 10 years, whichever comes first ...Mark
How you doing, Mark? Long time no chat! Hope all is well at your neck of the woods, or should I say beaches?
Yeah, I drain my ATF religiously at the 15,000 mark. I used to do at the 12,000, but since I double filter my ATF, 15,000 is okay. In all honesty, I could probably go to 20,000, since I no longer fall under the spec’d category of severe high mileage driving in stop n go traffic. No more commuting for me!
I tightened up the pan bolts yesterday a 1/4 to a 1/2 a turn. Love those helicoil inserts, as now I don’t have to worry about stripping out the aluminum case on the transmission. Hopefully the drips stop.
I have all the components from Sonnax to rid of that torque converter drain back. But now it’s gonna take me a long time to tally up 15,000 miles to validate dropping the pan to install those parts. I’m not one to drain fluid and reuse it, either.
Maybe I’ll come visit you to rack up some miles, lol. Then I’ll go see MKnittle. I’ll hit that 15000 at least 3x!!
Old 01-12-2018, 10:54 AM
Administrator

How you doing, Mark? Long time no chat! Hope all is well at your neck of the woods, or should I say beaches?
Yeah, I drain my ATF religiously at the 15,000 mark. I used to do at the 12,000, but since I double filter my ATF, 15,000 is okay. In all honesty, I could probably go to 20,000, since I no longer fall under the spec’d category of severe high mileage driving in stop n go traffic. No more commuting for me!
I tightened up the pan bolts yesterday a 1/4 to a 1/2 a turn. Love those helicoil inserts, as now I don’t have to worry about stripping out the aluminum case on the transmission. Hopefully the drips stop.
I have all the components from Sonnax to rid of that torque converter drain back. But now it’s gonna take me a long time to tally up 15,000 miles to validate dropping the pan to install those parts. I’m not one to drain fluid and reuse it, either.
Maybe I’ll come visit you to rack up some miles, lol. Then I’ll go see MKnittle. I’ll hit that 15000 at least 3x!!
Anytime buddy, but if you want to visit me now, you have to head south to Mexico. I am in Hermosillo because I have a dental appointment Saturday and felt that 2 days here is better than 120 miles round trip. I will be home by mid-February. I filled my getrag with 30 weight Mobile 1, 15000 mile, put those expanders on the sides that add 3 more quarts and haven't touched it since. Come on down or wait a bit and come on over ...Mark For those with getrags, I highly recommend these: https://www.facebook.com/fastcoolers/

Last edited by maybe368; 01-12-2018 at 11:25 AM. Reason: following my own standards
Old 01-12-2018, 12:44 PM

I’ll take you up on that probably in another year. First week in February is my final back surgery I’ve been waiting on. This is a big one at fusement of the entire lumbar. This’ll put me at a total of 7 up and down the spine. Wife will have to give me the sponge baths after this one.

Thinking about bringing back the robot dance
Old 01-12-2018, 12:47 PM

Not gonna let it slow me down though. I’ve been waiting on getting back to an exercise program after this surgery. Looking forward to it, as I’m getting tired of getting sand kicked in my face lately, lol
Old 01-12-2018, 02:31 PM
Administrator

I’ll take you up on that probably in another year. First week in February is my final back surgery I’ve been waiting on. This is a big one at fusement of the entire lumbar. This’ll put me at a total of 7 up and down the spine. Wife will have to give me the sponge baths after this one.

Thinking about bringing back the robot dance
Just be sure that she sponges both sides . Man you have suffered with your back, I hope this is the last surgery you will have and that it leaves you pain free...Mark

Quick Reply: ATF readings on the dipstick