1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

any guys over 50 have a first gen,ctd

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2006, 11:05 PM
DBF

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I bought my 92 in Sept 99 with 85,000 on it. Now has 204,000. Just getting broke in.

I just turned 66. I look to run the old grey mule another 10 years, God willing. Can't see giving DiamlerChrysler 50k to replace something that runs well and tows what I have.

But maybe when the 2006's are at $10k, I might be tempted.

Happy New Year, folks. DBF
Old 01-04-2006, 11:44 PM

Received 32 Likes on 16 Posts
I'm 52 this month and I wouldn't trade my 92 for three newer trucks. Why would you want to get a truck that costs twice as much to repair and looks like million other trucks on the road? Price a replacement pump for the newer trucks. When I pull my 5ver cross country I get a lot of strange looks when I pass the new trucks going up the mountians like they are standing still. I have never had a break down while traveling yet and there are not many trucks you can say that about, particuarly the new ones with all their electronics to fail. The first gens have a very distinct look and no rounded modern truck that looks like they were all stamped out of the same mold will ever match it. I guess I will drive my 1st gen as long as I possibly can. I have all the power I can ever possibly use, I get 20 MPG and it still drives like new so I see no reason to change.
Old 01-05-2006, 02:12 AM
Administrator

Received 232 Likes on 161 Posts
Thumbs up First Gen's and old people.

I am 55 and have a 1991 D-350 LE that I feel is in better than perfect condition. Other than maybe air rides and an onboard DVR there is really nothing I can think of putting on my truck that I don’t need.
I purposely chose the years because I like the square body style and presence of real sheet metal for the survival ability factor, and I have wanted the Cummins even before I had my 6.2.
Although my truck rides harsh like a rock it is a good feeling that you are in control of the road, even at 75+ MPH there is no wander as I have a bad habit of steering with my knee.
Back when these trucks were new I remember reading in a truck / RV magazine that driving one of these trucks was the closest to driving a big rig for control of the road and load that you could get.
I like the mechanical injection pump for its relialability and simplicity over the electronically controlled for the fact that if you can crank it then it will pretty much run every time. Not to worry about EMP shutting you down. I have over 300,000 miles on mine and it is still tight, no blowby, and although I live in freezing southern California no matter how cold it is, it fires on the first revolution every time.
The new Ram’s are really nice and ride soft and I could really get used to one but I don’t really want one.
I know it is the coming thing but they are all plastic and I do not feel safe in them because I have survived 2 major accidents that were both 65MPH collisions when I was stopped and walked away from at least the last one where “2” small pickup trucks were impaled on my rear bumper causing only minor damage to my truck.
Besides first gen’s have killer acoustics in the cab perfect for talk radio.
Jim
Old 01-05-2006, 07:02 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm 55 and I have to agree 100% with Jim Lane. I want something I can still repair on my own. I want an engine that I can see all 6 cylinders in the open, not with 2 under the firewall. I want an injection system that I can remove and take to a Bosch repair shop and normally expect to pay from $300 - $750 for the repair not $3000! Plastic parts are nice when they are new. Trouble is the clear plastic turns yellow and the flexable type gets brittle with age. I don't want the "53" block engine either. To me newer is not always better.
Old 01-05-2006, 08:02 AM

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by 92DIESEL
My Dad was 64 (and magor back surgery) when he finally sold the truck to me. It wasn't the ride that made him stop driving it (he ran 45lbs in the tires to calm the ride) it was trying to get in and out of it- he's only 5'9"

So his loss is my gain

I'll be diving this truck forever (or it completely rots out- then I'll find another body)

Michael
AND what is wrong with being "only" 5'9"? That's really why they invented Rock guards.(or nerf bars if you prefer) So you don't have to advertise you are shorter than the hieght of your floor board.
Old 01-05-2006, 08:16 AM

There's nothing WRONG about being 5'9"- He didn't want to put any steps, bars, guards on also my Dad also thought that the truck was to big. and being he lives in NYC I can't say that I blame him.

Michael
Old 01-05-2006, 08:18 AM

I will be 50 in August. AARP here I come! I love my truck and my wife, not necessarily in that order! The great thing is having a clear title and not a fat payment book!
Old 01-05-2006, 08:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by boiler-rat
I will be 50 in August. AARP here I come! I love my truck and my wife, not necessarily in that order! The great thing is having a clear title and not a fat payment book!

I'm 53, and I think some of us may actually get a little smarter with the years. I don't care if my neighbors aren't impressed with my truck. Let them keep up with the Jones'. Many of us have figured out that a truck needs to please only the person who owns it. Let the rest ride around in Escalades with 22" rims. I'm embarassed for them.
Old 01-05-2006, 08:50 PM

over 60

Am 63 and only 33 in my head, have a 92 ctd w auto and pretty well stock I think. Bought it just this fall and then winter set in before I had time to do much to it. Its pretty unique as it has a custom built frame mounted sleeper, about 48 inch with the back of the cab cut out so you just turn around in the bucket seat and enter. It has a plush full width seat in back which with a push of a button it powers down to a bed. Has about 325,000 miles on it but runs like a top. I think previous owner used it to haul camping trailers across country.Anyway thats my hobby rig. By the way it takes 40 acres to turn it with that extra long wheelbase and these first gens dident turn very short as it is. Other truck is a 94 ctd. sorry no pictures, havent yet figured out how to do that yet...B.M.
Old 01-05-2006, 08:57 PM

I'm 59 and I love mine.
Old 01-05-2006, 09:40 PM

Originally Posted by Ron E
I'm 53, and I think some of us may actually get a little smarter with the years. I don't care if my neighbors aren't impressed with my truck. Let them keep up with the Jones'. Many of us have figured out that a truck needs to please only the person who owns it. Let the rest ride around in Escalades with 22" rims. I'm embarassed for them.
I agree completely, and I still have 34 years before I turn 50
Old 01-05-2006, 10:40 PM

60 and loving it, retired navy, sold house in San Diego moved to small town in Illinois.
Original owner 1992 D350 club cab 130k miles. No rust never dirven in in snow/salt. Banks quick turbo, K&N air filter, Banks exhaust, otherwise stock. I moved all my STUFF from San Diego to Rock Falls, IL with my 1992 towing a 24' Wells Cargo loaded to the gills, took 4 trips with the Wells Cargo and 1 trip with my Big Tex equipment trailer, again loaded to the gills. The Dodge never missed a beat in all the trips. Pulled the grade between Phoenix and Flagstaff a little slow but pulled it without any problems. I absoutely love this truck. I also have a 2006 2500 Mega Cab 4X4 or should I say my wife has it. I personally like the old dog and the wife loves the new one. The best of both worlds.
Old 01-06-2006, 12:20 AM

Originally Posted by Trebor
... Plastic parts are nice when they are new. Trouble is the clear plastic turns yellow and the flexable type gets brittle with age. ...
I'm 'retired' (laid off ) from 30 year career in plastics ... sheet metal is why I'm a 1st gen owner , tho there is still a bit too much on interior (dropping glove box) I think I can keep her alive as long as I will be around

actually, I also needed a work truck, that would -work-
Old 01-06-2006, 05:11 AM

Almost 41, but I sure love this rough riding old girl.
Old 01-06-2006, 07:50 AM

Originally Posted by loco one
hey guys am I supposed to have a 2006 ctd when you turn 50 ?

so any old guys out there with first gen ?
And BTW, 50 ain't old!!!

Quick Reply: any guys over 50 have a first gen,ctd