1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Another wobbly steering wheel

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2010, 09:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Another wobbly steering wheel

Hey guys, my steering wheel has had a little play for a while now. I can move it side to side and in and out about a quarter inch. It kinda rattles around when I roll over bumps and such at highway speeds. Any suggestions as to what it could be? It does not have tilt steering. Thanks.
Old 06-04-2010, 11:04 PM

Received 126 Likes on 70 Posts
Does it track with ruts? Could just need the preload nut on the steering box tightened. Second thing would be a cracked steering box adapter and or frame by the steering box. Also make sure the u-bolts are tight on the axle.
Old 06-05-2010, 12:43 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
You just need to look at the steering gear box while a kid slowly turns the wheel back and forth for you. You'll see the problem.

It's either the steering shaft linkage or the steering gearbox.
Old 06-05-2010, 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by mhuppertz
Does it track with ruts? Could just need the preload nut on the steering box tightened. Second thing would be a cracked steering box adapter and or frame by the steering box. Also make sure the u-bolts are tight on the axle.
Originally Posted by 97catintenn
You just need to look at the steering gear box while a kid slowly turns the wheel back and forth for you. You'll see the problem.

It's either the steering shaft linkage or the steering gearbox.
It tracks straight (aside from my alignment being a little off), and my truck is 2wd, so no front ubolts, and the frame is good. I don't think the problem is outside though. I can hold it straight and push the steering wheel itself in and out and pull it side to side without turning the wheel in any direction. Is there something in the column that can be tightened up or a bad bearing or something like that?
Old 06-05-2010, 07:39 PM

Pull the horn cover off and make sure the steering wheel isnt broke. They break aroung the nut that holds it to the shaft.
Old 06-05-2010, 09:02 PM

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...check+steering

Old 06-06-2010, 09:36 PM

Ok, well today I pulled the horn cover off and pulled out on the wheel and it looks like the shaft is pulling out with it. So I looked under the hood and had my wife pull on it and the rag joint moves ever so slightly, but not as much as the wheel. As far as side-to-side movement, it looks like the shifter tube moves a little with the wheel. Is there a collapsible joint in a non tilt column, or a pin or something that could come loose, or u-joint or something like that? Also, what keeps the shaft centered in the column? It seems there is a bearing or bushing or something going out in there. Sorry for all the questions, I've never messed around with any steering columns past the signal cams and ignition lock.
Old 06-09-2010, 04:40 PM

Anyone have any ideas? It ain't fun pulling a 30' travel trailer with it like that!
Old 06-09-2010, 10:43 PM

steering column

mine did the same thing. The bearings in the column got real loose. The column had side to side and in and out movement. I had to replace the column as it could not be rebuilt.
Old 06-10-2010, 11:35 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The rag joint is a possibility for looseness, but as you mentioned there are bearings that center the steering shaft in the column, and they can got out of position , ... worst steering I ever had in a vehicle was an old E350 where I found the bottom steering bearing dangling freely on the steering shaft, and it had about 45* of steering wheel slop before any steering happened. What fixed it was a hose clamp on the steering shaft that held the bearing in place in the outer column. After that the steering was only lousy, not suicidal, ....
Old 06-10-2010, 02:21 PM

Received 73 Likes on 57 Posts

My el-cheapo riding-mower has a better made steering-wheel than that.

Those are so flimsy, it ain't no wonder they break.
Old 06-10-2010, 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by bakerroc
mine did the same thing. The bearings in the column got real loose. The column had side to side and in and out movement. I had to replace the column as it could not be rebuilt.
What did it cost you to replace it? I think thats what I'll end up doing.

Originally Posted by ppiggppenn
The rag joint is a possibility for looseness, but as you mentioned there are bearings that center the steering shaft in the column, and they can got out of position , ... worst steering I ever had in a vehicle was an old E350 where I found the bottom steering bearing dangling freely on the steering shaft, and it had about 45* of steering wheel slop before any steering happened. What fixed it was a hose clamp on the steering shaft that held the bearing in place in the outer column. After that the steering was only lousy, not suicidal, ....
Yeah, I already looked at the rag joint. It's fine. I guess I could take it all apart and see what I've got. I'm pretty good at improvising a repair when I need to.

Originally Posted by BearKiller
My el-cheapo riding-mower has a better made steering-wheel than that.

Those are so flimsy, it ain't no wonder they break.
I oughta take a picture of mine. Looks nothing like that one. This looks sturdier than mine, if you can believe that! Aside from the broken nut of course!
Old 06-14-2010, 11:22 PM

I don't recall the cost of the replacement column. Seems like it was a lot more than I thought it should be. Maybe close to $200?
Old 07-01-2010, 08:30 PM

Jeez, that's like polished billet aluminum column territory.
Old 07-01-2010, 08:59 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
My 90 was doing that the top of the column cracked and made everything loose and then popped the shaft apart making it imposable to steer I would look real close at what is going on because you could find your self in serious trouble!