1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Aftermarket Camshaft ??

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2009, 07:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aftermarket Camshaft ??

Anyone running an aftermarket cam? If so what are your pros and cons with it? Did you dyno before and after for a comparision? After talking with a few places I'm getting somewhat the same answer "there is little to no gain over stock". Two places say the marine cam is a performance upgrade but only in the upper RPM range. Just asking for some input before buying a cam. Thanks.
Old 05-19-2009, 08:17 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
your 92 has a very good cam, in fact a lot of the 3rd gen are replacing with yours
Old 05-19-2009, 08:39 AM

Oh sorry it's not for my 92 or 93 trucks. I have a spare engine on the engine stand and it will be nothing more than a play toy engine for a future project truck I'm working on. Hotrod or whatever you wanna call it. Thank for the input tho.
Old 05-19-2009, 09:25 AM

While only having internet reading experience with cams, I personally if I had the time and money for a cam would go with a helix 2. FWIW
Old 05-19-2009, 09:27 AM
1st Generation Admin

Received 111 Likes on 57 Posts
It's been my understanding that the after market diesel cams have most impact on getting more air through the engine thus reducing EGTs, earlier and faster spooling of the turbo(s), and a reduction in smoke by allowing more air to burn existing fuel.

In the case of a diesel, a cam is usually (perhaps not always) the last thing to hop-up.
Old 05-19-2009, 09:52 AM

ive pulled cams out of p-pumpeed and 90 non i/c 1st gen. the 90 had alot more opening duration. the p-pump cam looked like emissions grind. not sure what a 91 1/2 -93 i/c cam looks like but ive heard they are like the p-pump cam. the old non i/c cams may be the best but i would like more info myself on this. the guys i showed the cams to were impressed buy the grind of the non i/c vs p-pump but numbers would really tell the story.
Old 05-19-2009, 01:56 PM

From my experience, you will get the most gains from a custom grind, not from buying one that is massed produced.

To your original question, yes, a cam will help, especially on a play truck.
Old 05-19-2009, 03:23 PM

91 1st gen what cams have you run? do you have any cam specs ?. im really interested in seeing specs, stock vs stock and stock vs aftermarket. i suspect the non i/c cam has interesting #s vs aftermarket "perfomance"grinds.
Old 05-19-2009, 06:57 PM
Pod Boy (on hiatus)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The front end of my truck was mangled in a wreck and while I had it all apart, I put in a helix 2 cam just to have it done. Spools up faster, and egts were down maybe 75. Not much, but I was running stock injectors. Dropped about 3psi of boost. Not worth the money with my mods now, but with the plans I have down the road, I think it will pay off. Sounds a little different too. Little throatier. As far as mileage and overall performance, I advanced the timing a tooth at the same time, (then backed it off a little by moving the pump) so between the two mods done at the same time, it made a big difference, less smoke on low end, faster spool. Mileage was up to 20-21 mixed driving. Was around 18-18.5 mixed driving. I figured I might lose some low end with timing that far advanced, but the cam more than made up for it.
Old 05-19-2009, 07:43 PM

one of the best aftermarket cams is hamilton diesel cams there custom grinds dyno proven. I talked to zach who is the owner this week he said more air in and out better than stock with 35-50 hp gain even mild pump setting. stage 2 is the best for street,tow, and strip. and decently priced
Old 05-19-2009, 08:40 PM

I started last week to drive over to Hamilton Cams but work got in the way of play again soooo I didn't get to go. "Cotton pickin work seems to know when I wanna do something fun." SOOT4BRAINS what made your decision to choose the Helix 2 vs something such as a Hamilton Cam or a Colt Cam ect? I saw something awhile back about the Helix, who makes it ect? The numbers sound good on both the Helix and the Hamilton. This is what i'm looking for is some guys who have run the aftermarket cams to get an idea of what they really feel by seat of the pants or by the dyno. Good info keep it coming.
Old 05-19-2009, 09:17 PM

hamilton uses colt to make his cams. PDR also used to use colt cams until the contract ran out.

I would go with hamilton/colt personally. But lots of the cams are made for high rpm gain and most 1st gens are only spinning to 3200rpm.
Old 05-19-2009, 09:29 PM

zach told me today that the stage 2 is perfect for street not high rpm. that cams effeciency is best to 3500rpm and ive seen what hamilton has built i only 15 min from their shop their stuff flies.
Old 05-20-2009, 08:44 AM

I prefer the helix as its ground from a new blank, not a re-grind of a stock cam. They also all now come with a bolt on gear. F1 diesel makes it. Just never heard a bad thing about them.
Old 05-20-2009, 11:29 AM
Pod Boy (on hiatus)

The main reason I went with The Helix 2 cam because it is new and not a regrind. Heard lots of good about PDR and Helix, but a few guys had trouble with regrinds. Helix is made by F1 Diesel. At the time I did this, I had not heard of Colt or Hamilton, so I can't really comment on those. Another reason I like the Helix cam is it has a bolt on gear. Not sure if Colt or Hamilton have that or not, but that would have also been a deciding factor for me. I know VE trucks dont really have an issue with cam gears like the p pump trucks due to rpm limits, but I wanted the most reliable setup possible.

Quick Reply: Aftermarket Camshaft ??