1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

92 w250 bad brakes

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2012, 09:53 PM

Received 209 Likes on 152 Posts
Originally Posted by MARF75
Every thing in my brake system is brand new except rotors and the pedal,deleted the RWAL and still get absolutly no brakes at all on occasion(about twice a week).I push the pedal and have zero brakes and the pedal goes to the floor. The only thing I am unsure of is the adjustment of the MC pushrod,after 40yrs of wrenchin,do you know the proper way to adjust it?

I have a very low pedal
Normally they're adjusted so the piston returns to it's full retracted position, with little or no free play. It really isn't too critical. If your brakes don't drag, it's probably just fine.

Back in the 1950 chevy days, it was a critical adjustment as parts varied greatly.

What you're describing could be caused by warped rotors or bad wheel bearings in the front, especially if brake failure follows aggressive steering.

I'm telling ya, you have something seriously wrong with the hardware somewhere.

If the trouble isn't obvious, you might try blocking off the front and rear circuits, one at a time, and seeing if your pedal comes up as it should. .
Old 01-12-2012, 10:57 PM

Received 1,637 Likes on 1,112 Posts
I have a very low pedal
I beat myself up many times for this very problem. Your description of your issue is air in the lines. I'm 99.9% certain of it. I thought my lines were void of air, and I was completely wrong. You don't know it until you use the reservoir system.

I cannot stress enough that I dealt with what you guys are talking about time and time again, until I made up that bleeding reservoir that was mentioned in the other thread about this very issue (one of a thousand threads on this issue)

As soon as I used the reservoir, all of my braking woes were gone. Firm pedal, excellent stopping power..... great working brakes.

Air in the rear lines was the culprit, in both of my CTD dodges and I've finally licked the monster.

T.
Old 12-06-2016, 07:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vaccum routing diagram?

I've got a 92 W250 with the 12valve and I'm trying to find the complete vaccum routing diagram. Of someone could help me out I'd appreciate it.
Old 12-07-2016, 11:01 AM
Administrator

Received 171 Likes on 129 Posts
Originally Posted by gseeliger
I've got a 92 W250 with the 12valve and I'm trying to find the complete vaccum routing diagram. Of someone could help me out I'd appreciate it.
I do not have a 92 manual, but my 1991 manual does not show the diesel vacuum routing diagram, only the gasser one. The supplemental manual does not have it either.

Does your truck still have the emission label under the hood? It should be on there.
Old 12-23-2016, 01:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Every thing in my brake system is brand new except rotors and the pedal,deleted the RWAL and still get absolutly no brakes at all on occasion(about twice a week).I push the pedal and have zero brakes and the pedal goes to the floor. The only thing I am unsure of is the adjustment of the MC pushrod,after 40yrs of wrenchin,do you know the proper way to adjust it?

I have a very low pedal
It doesn't take 40 yrs of wrenchin to know there is something wrong with your system. Listen to the man's advice.
Old 12-29-2016, 09:17 PM

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts
Check the plastic fitting that plugs into the booster that the vacuum hose
connects to. I've seen them crack and hard to see visually.
The following users liked this post:
thrashingcows (12-30-2016)