1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

92 CTD - pro/con

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2003, 05:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
92 CTD - pro/con

Just came across a 92 CTD for sale that piqued my interest. I have a 96 so I haven't been perusing the 1st Gen forum for tidbits on these trucks, so please excuse my ignorance.<br><br>What are the strengths and weaknesses of the 92 CTD? What are the common items to look for that could cause headaches down the road? Is there anything specific to consider as a deal killer if the seller doesn't know or won't tell?<br><br>I have an 82 D350 SRW so the body/frame/interior is a known quantity to me, its just the VE-equipped injection I have no experience with. Is there a KDP type of issue with these earlier trucks?<br><br>Also, what kind of mileage is expected out of these? I know it depends on rear axle and how close the foot stays to the floor but a ballpark for an unmodified truck?<br><br>Thanks for any info. Just thinking this might be a good deal.
Old 04-16-2003, 09:26 AM

Re:92 CTD - pro/con

mileage is probably atleast 18-25 mpg and as far as the kdp...not sure if this a problem but mine is tabbed just for safety sake and peace of mind<br><br><br>things to look out for...electrical wiring...paint fading...and whether or not its a getrag 5spd or an auto
Old 04-16-2003, 09:58 AM

I assume that the NV4500 could not be had in these so if it is a manual it will be the Getrag (haven't peeked inside yet, wife was with me at time). If it is an auto would it be the 518 w/OD or something else?<br><br>Are there any issues with the Getrag analogous to the NV4500 5th gear nut? How does the stock clutch hold up under heavy pulling (or with a slightly BOMBed engine)?<br><br>If it is an auto are there any gotchas that can be determined from a test drive?<br><br>I'll cruise the archive for 1st Gen as soon as I get a chance. I'll also give the truck a good looking over this afternoon.
Old 04-16-2003, 03:07 PM
AlK

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am still running with the original getrag in my truck and have had no problems. Never heard of the 5gear nut problem on the getrag, but most guys including me have added one extra quart of oil to the tranny. A number of first gen truck owners have changed over to the NV4500 and are very happy.

As far as the clutch goes again I have had no problems. My truck is slightly bombed 220 hp at rw. A friend of mine had a 92 1 ton dually with the getrag and pulled way too much weight through the mountains in B.C. and never complained about the clutch - in fact the RCMP nailed him a couple of times.
---
Al
Old 04-16-2003, 07:35 PM

The kdp is a problem with first gen's, I have heard of them moving a bit, but I peronally have not heard of one tearing apart a motor, better safe then sorry :'(
Old 04-16-2003, 08:02 PM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am still running the Getrag with over 200k. No problems what so ever. You can see the list of mods in my sig. It has not had an easy life. I am also on the stock clutch. From what I have heard. The first gens had a stronger clutch than the 2nd gens. Possibly a Sachs clutch if I remember right.
Old 04-17-2003, 08:49 AM

it's the shifter rails that get distorted in a getrag, right? The problem becomes that they want to pop out of 5th down the road when you left off the pedal. Not as severe of a problem as the 5th gear nut on the 4500, and I think can be replaced in the truck.
Old 04-17-2003, 09:48 AM

Looked the truck over this morning - 92 extended cab LE 5-speed dually 2WD with air bags and a fold down goose hitch in the bed. Black with red interior, minor dents on rear quarters where the bumper had obviously been pushed into the bed, fresh black paint, both pontoons intact, grille looked real good, no dents in tailgate, steel wheels with really good tires. 151,600 miles from what I could see through the glass. Cab corners did not look like they were in imminent danger of rusting out (didn't crawl down and look underneath, though). Interior was cloth but not torn up, a few cigarette burns between driver's legs (typical) but dash looked to be in good shape.<br><br>According to Chrome Car Book the asking price is max loan value - I might pass on it but my little brother might buy it - depends on if the wife will divorce me over it or not. Of course, now I can say &quot;But Honey, you'll get to drive the red one all the time now.&quot;<br><br>Just another &quot;too many projects - not enough time or money&quot; deal that came along at an inconvenient time.
Old 04-17-2003, 05:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can't lose if you buy a CDT, the best stuff on earth. Besides if your wife divorces you you won't have time to notice, you'll be working on your new dodge. <br><br>What is the deal with the shifter rails wearing out? Mine will some times fall out of 3rd but not 5th. I think it is the orginal transmission but not the clutch.
Old 04-17-2003, 05:12 PM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yessir, the shift rails are known to fail. The biggest failure is the countershaft bearing. The input shaft has a small oil galley. An extra quart of 5w30 syn. works wonders for the Getrag. Other than that, it really is a good transmission.