1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

2wd to 4x4 club cab '92/'93 frame off build

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2020, 12:54 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
BTW i'm liking the 2 post lift in your pics. That is a game changer for this kind of stuff.
The following users liked this post:
Bmiller67 (04-04-2020)
Old 02-19-2020, 03:27 PM

Received 1,333 Likes on 863 Posts
Originally Posted by oliver foster
Where did you get them?
I am worried about how hard their are, but figured I would try them out. The ones Napa got me look crappy, are very hard and they do not come with the bushing or upper rubbers. The Geno's ones are cheap enough.
I have dug through my collection of 30 year old 4x4 OEM transmission mounts and it looks like I used my last really good set on my '89 Ramcharger build.
Did a little digging and found the place I bought them from.

https://polybushings.com/pages/1604.html

Didn't care for the added noise and vibration it sent through to the frame, and with poly cab mounts it just made it worse. And after only 6-9 months in service they were noticeably worn and crushed to the RH side due to the drop on the transfer case, so I picked up a set of rubber Anchor mounts and tossed those in.
Old 02-20-2020, 11:30 AM

Received 2,429 Likes on 1,601 Posts
Originally Posted by Pak7819
BTW i'm liking the 2 post lift in your pics. That is a game changer for this kind of stuff.
The two post lift has been a major quality of life game changer. Make this sort of build much easier, safer and more comfortable.
Old 02-20-2020, 11:55 AM

I looked at Jungle's kit, just like the parts in your pictures. He was on a 10 day holiday, after not hearing back from him in a few days, I ordered the parts from FSS. Jungle contacted me a few days ago, but I had already sourced the things I needed.

I am waiting for the steering box / frame brace from Far From Stock to show up along with the crossover steering kit from Offroad Design. Both should show up in the next few days.
In the mean time I finished prepping up the P-pumped 12v for my 2wd Ramcharger build. That powertrain is basically ready to install in the frame.

I also had time to move most of the 4 years of shop stuff that has accumulated around the 2wd sheetmetal donor truck. After moving several spare 12Vs, a half dozen A-518 or 47RHs, core supports, NP-205s and a empty keg of Switchback Ale. I was rewarded with a dusty but well preserved D250. Man, that is one clean looking ride.
The following 2 users liked this post by oliver foster:
Bmiller67 (04-04-2020), thrashingcows (02-20-2020)
Old 02-21-2020, 06:21 PM

Both the parts from FSS and Offroad Design showed up this afternoon.
All the parts looks GREAT. The crossover parts need to be painted but the FSS part has a nice "wrinkle" powder coat. I had to test fit up FSS brace right after I opened the box. The bolt holes lined up nicely and fit the frame well.

The weather next week has a few 40 degree days, so I might be able to work on the frame a bit with the garage doors open. Might even get a few licks of paint on the frame if the weather and my timing work out. I have decided to drop the fuel tank to clean up and paint the inner c channel of the frame. It looks in great shape, but has little paint left on the metal behind there.

I am trying not to do a full on resto project on this., but I find myself slipping into the rabbit hole a bit....
I found myself cleaning up my nuts...and bolts in a cup of Evapo-Rust to take some surface rust off them up before using them on the frame....When the project gets to the restoring the actual nuts and bolts you know it is going to go slower than you expected.
This might take a few more hours to get done than when I first formed this plan...
Bmiller67 (04-04-2020), nonrev (02-22-2020)
Old 02-24-2020, 07:54 PM

I took a couple of hours to clean up the light surface rust here and there with a wire brush and a wire wheel on my drill. Evapo Rust was used to soak the cab mounts brackets over night, to get them down to clean metal.
Then yesterday the frame got hit with some "Heavy Rust" Rustoleum primer. After the recommended 24 HR drying time in the shop that was about 65F with low humidity it was hit again with some satin black Rustoleum.

Both days where about 45-50F outside so I could work in the shop with the doors and windows open to get a nice cross draft.
The following 3 users liked this post by oliver foster:
Bmiller67 (04-04-2020), Diesel_Dawg (02-24-2020), nothingbutdarts (02-26-2020)
Old 02-26-2020, 10:48 PM

Received 1,637 Likes on 1,112 Posts
Ollie project

The following 2 users liked this post by NJTman:
Bmiller67 (04-04-2020), nothingbutdarts (03-11-2020)
Old 02-27-2020, 06:55 AM

Thanks for adding those pictures there T..
The frame was super solid to begin with. I figured I would throw on some paint to help protect it. The P.O. had sprayed on some blue paint two years ago with the bed off, but under the cab and inside most of the frame rails only had whatever paint was left over from the early '90s.
Old 02-27-2020, 07:44 AM

Received 1,637 Likes on 1,112 Posts
Thanks for adding those pictures there T..
The frame was super solid to begin with. I figured I would throw on some paint to help protect it. The P.O. had sprayed on some blue paint two years ago with the bed off, but under the cab and inside most of the frame rails only had whatever paint was left over from the early '90s.
NP, Ollie,

How's the dogs ? Looks mighty happy in that photo.
Old 02-27-2020, 08:06 AM

Received 115 Likes on 67 Posts
Ollie down the road I might go with crossover just curious I looked at FFS and off road design and also Mikes any reason your picked Off road design
Old 02-27-2020, 05:30 PM
BHD

Received 389 Likes on 259 Posts
I am trying not to do a full on resto project on this., but I find myself slipping into the rabbit hole a bit....

Its a slippery slope man....vast quantities of IPAs are needed in times like these.
Old 03-11-2020, 08:05 AM

Originally Posted by NJTman
NP, Ollie,

How's the dogs ? Looks mighty happy in that photo.
Mitzy is happily looking on the progress in the picture. Her and her sister are doing awesome. They are both great dogs.

Gunch,

The main reason why I went with the Offroad Design crossover kit was I could find several good pictures of their kit installed. I wanted to see what the clearance was on the engine crossmember. I was worried that moving the front axle forward an inch might make clearance issues. Of all the pictures I looked at, there seems to be room for what I want to do. They also offer their kit in a 2 inch, a 3 inch and then a 4 -7 inch. This made me feel like I was not getting a one size fits all kit that I would need to modify to work. I ordered their 3 inch kit.
THEN the BIGGEST reason why, is that they answered their phone the day I wanted to order parts.
Bmiller67 (04-04-2020), nothingbutdarts (03-11-2020)
Old 03-11-2020, 08:14 AM

I have the sheetmetal donor 2wd on my lift the past week and have been prepping it for the parts I will be using on this build.
I am happy to report I am finding some nice stuff to work with.
The front clip is clean and shows no signs of ever being taken apart. I see NO cowl cracks which is pretty unusual. The truck seems to have seen little modifications. The engine bay wiring is in great shape with no added lights, horns and other hacked in accessories.
The 28 year old radiator is solid, but could use a cleaning on the inside. It looks like the PO was not using pure anti-freeze... I will clean it out before using it on the build.
The intercooler looks solid as well but I will pressure test it with a gallon or two of water to check for leaks before using it.
Bmiller67 (04-04-2020)
Old 03-11-2020, 09:05 AM

Received 365 Likes on 272 Posts
I see NO cowl cracks which is pretty unusual..
Ollie, my truck is much newer than any of yours, but I'm curious about something which may help others with their own projects...Since you know all the weak points on these decades-old cabs, do you advise reinforcing an otherwise solid cowl while the cab is torn down this far, or will you leave it as is for appearance sake?......Ben
Old 03-11-2020, 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by Fordzilla
Ollie, my truck is much newer than any of yours, but I'm curious about something which may help others with their own projects...Since you know all the weak points on these decades-old cabs, do you advise reinforcing an otherwise solid cowl while the cab is torn down this far, or will you leave it as is for appearance sake?......Ben
I am not planning on making patch panels for this truck as I see no cowl cracks.
I have welded up and made custom patch panels for most of the other trucks I have built. They where almost all 4x4 cabs / trucks, which usually lead a rougher life.

That being said my '89 2wd Ramcharger with under 100k on it had cowl cracks that I welded up before swapping it on my 4x4 frame.

Almost ever 1st gen I work on has some cracks starting on the cowl. This 2wd donor was from the Phoenix area and it appears as the 2wd trucked stayed on pretty flat paved roads.

On a side note, my cowl crack welding and patch panels are very hard to see after the truck is together as it is hidden behind the fender and the wiper cowl piece.
nonrev (03-12-2020)

Quick Reply: 2wd to 4x4 club cab '92/'93 frame off build