2wd 12v poptop Ramcharger - Page 4 - Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

2wd 12v poptop Ramcharger

Old 01-15-2018, 02:51 PM   #46  

Your build on the RC is making me consider what I'm going to do when I get around to my RC conversion. Like you Oli I would like to keep it Non-IC and close to original looking as possible. I have the complete 89 motor and wiring that was originally in the crewcab and would prefer to use that, but I could go with the 92/93 system from my donor truck.

I was always under the impression that the A518 was/is just a 727 with an OD on the back, and is a standard hyd shifted 1,2,3 transmission and that the OD was the only thing that required a switch?
thrashingcows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 05:58 PM   #47  

Thrashing,
I have a 47 RH with OD and lock up from a '94/'95 12V to use on this project. It has a receipt for a recent $6000+ rebuild with Suncoast billet parts, T.C., valve body and a deep pan.
I am used to my manual 12Vs so this is a bit of uncharted territory for me. I just want to have whatever special parts I need to order here at the shop before my week off of wrenching starts. Getting stuff over nighted, when you realize you need something at the last minute is a dumb way to spend cash on a build in my eyes.
oliver foster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 07:21 PM   #48  
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrashingcows View Post
I was always under the impression that the A518 was/is just a 727 with an OD on the back, and is a standard hyd shifted 1,2,3 transmission and that the OD was the only thing that required a switch?
They are, and the 47RH just added TQ LU, both can be accomplished with either manual switches, or some use a pressure switch ( or pair if 47RH ) to tune in OD and LU.

The Compushift just makes it more user friendly and less easily confused. The dude to talk with is Cougar, who just did a 47RH swap with a Compushift, and the last I heard, really liked the way it works, I know he had to play with it a bit.
patdaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 08:10 PM   #49  

Pat, I remember Cougar had some issues with his 47 RH swap, most of which seemed to be from using a V-10 transmission.
I would love to hear any insight he had on what he may have use for the TPS unit and wiring.
Old 01-16-2018, 09:42 AM   #50  

I believe Papecat was the originator of the use of the compushift. Might want to check in with him on that. If I am wrong, I apologize
bigragu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 05:33 PM   #51  

Good day:

For the TPS I had the existing factory TPS from the 1993 D250 Auto Truck Engine, and the harness they provided plugged right in. I believe they sell a TPS setup as you mention but I didn't need to go that route. I'd assume if you sourced a factory TPS you would have all that you needed there. I had to refresh my memory by looking at the setup on the truck and also checked out the manual online. I also recall speaking with customer service (they called me) after ordering it to make sure it had everything correct for my application.
PapeCAT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PapeCAT For This Useful Post:
mknittle (01-19-2018)
Old 01-16-2018, 06:30 PM   #52  

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapeCAT View Post
Good day:

For the TPS I had the existing factory TPS from the 1993 D250 Auto Truck Engine, and the harness they provided plugged right in. I believe they sell a TPS setup as you mention but I didn't need to go that route. I'd assume if you sourced a factory TPS you would have all that you needed there. I had to refresh my memory by looking at the setup on the truck and also checked out the manual online. I also recall speaking with customer service (they called me) after ordering it to make sure it had everything correct for my application.
That is what I assumed was the case, but didn't want to find out I had assumed wrong when I had the time to work on it and was missing the parts .

Thanks PapeCAT!
Old 01-16-2018, 06:47 PM   #53  
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by oliver foster View Post
Pat, I remember Cougar had some issues with his 47 RH swap, most of which seemed to be from using a V-10 transmission.
I would love to hear any insight he had on what he may have use for the TPS unit and wiring.
LOL, yea, that and some incompetence from his trans builder, it wasn't pretty. After he had all that sorted out though, he played with the Compushift to make it walk and talk like he wanted it to. I was always a cheap pressure switch guy, but after listening to him about the adjustability, I believe I would tend to go that way.
patdaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 10:09 AM   #54  

I just ordered that Compushift from the shop out in Cali. that PapeCAT recommended.
Sounded like a smart dude named Mike that I spoke to that seemed to know his Cummins auto stuff. He knew the right questions to ask, which made me feel great as it felt like I was talking to the actually guy that puts these kits together.
He could even answer my question on if I could get an old cable driven speedo to work, so I don't have to use an electronic speedo gauge in my old RC dash.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to oliver foster For This Useful Post:
mknittle (01-19-2018), PapeCAT (01-18-2018), patdaly (01-17-2018)
Old 01-18-2018, 11:09 PM   #55  

Sounds good. My '73 is the old style cable speedo too. I did have to get a new cable made as the original 727 Cable was too short vs. the longer A518 OD trans.

There were a couple things that were a bit of a puzzle during install: 1.) Getting the TPS calibrated, I needed to make sure the TPS shaft was aligned correctly, as it wasn't preloaded and moving at all during the first 1/4 of throttle movement iirc. 2.) The harness was wired incorrectly for the TPS, meaning Idle was reading as WOT and vice versa. Made for downshifting out of OD instantly when I let off the pedal each time. Had to swap pins at the computer side connector, no big deal but I did have a bunch of pin extractors in my avionics tool bag...

Otherwise it has been a rock solid unit so far, and I'm very happy with it. Enjoy!
PapeCAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 04:38 AM   #56  

Quote:
He could even answer my question on if I could get an old cable driven speedo to work, so I don't have to use an electronic speedo gauge in my old RC dash.

any special tricks to make that work?
Blue Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 07:01 AM   #57  

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapeCAT View Post
Sounds good. My '73 is the old style cable speedo too. I did have to get a new cable made as the original 727 Cable was too short vs. the longer A518 OD trans.

There were a couple things that were a bit of a puzzle during install: 1.) Getting the TPS calibrated, I needed to make sure the TPS shaft was aligned correctly, as it wasn't preloaded and moving at all during the first 1/4 of throttle movement iirc. 2.) The harness was wired incorrectly for the TPS, meaning Idle was reading as WOT and vice versa. Made for downshifting out of OD instantly when I let off the pedal each time. Had to swap pins at the computer side connector, no big deal but I did have a bunch of pin extractors in my avionics tool bag...

Otherwise it has been a rock solid unit so far, and I'm very happy with it. Enjoy!
Good point on the cable length. Sounds like I will need to use one of my spare cables from an old Dodge 4x4 that runs the cable to the T-case for the extra length then.

IIRC the TPS sensors on different year 12Vs read backwards from each other, too I may have to swap around VE and P-pumped TPSs out of my collection to get it right.

It will be a bit till I have the time to work on it, but the research and parts hoarding for the project has begun.

Thanks again for the link PapeCAT!
Old 01-19-2018, 07:07 AM   #58  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Goose View Post
any special tricks to make that work?
Mike, asked me if I wanted a electronic plug in on the wire harness he custom made for my application, or if I was retro fitting a cable drive into the 47 RH that comes from the factory with an electronic unit.
I asked for the cable drive option and will now need to source a cable drive unit to install in the 47 RH. Maybe the gasser 727 speedo unit in the RC will work, but it may not be for the right 3.54 gearing I am planning on using.
I will need too work that out as I get closer. A lot of RCs came with 3.23 gearing

He basically set up my Compushift package to what parts I was using and options I wanted. I was impressed that it was not a "one package fits all set up."

Last edited by oliver foster; 01-19-2018 at 09:20 PM. Reason: easier to understand
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to oliver foster For This Useful Post:
Blue Goose (01-19-2018), nonrev (01-19-2018), thrashingcows (01-19-2018)
Old 01-20-2018, 07:32 PM   #59  

Char. and I un-buried the RC and rolled it out of the corner of the shop to check it out more closely.
Man the sheetmetal is great looking.
The front frame and suspension seems to have had some damage and weld work. It looks like it might have been ditched or something years ago.
I saw it when I bought the truck, but wanted to check it out closer as I had not seen it in years.
I am now weighting the options of welding in a front half frame section from a nice 2wd 3/4 ton diesel frame, instead of just swapping over the 8 lug front suspension parts.
The Following User Says Thank You to oliver foster For This Useful Post:
nonrev (01-21-2018)
Old 01-21-2018, 05:26 PM   #60  

Quote:
Char. and I un-buried the RC and rolled it out of the corner of the shop to check it out more closely.
Man the sheetmetal is great looking.
The front frame and suspension seems to have had some damage and weld work. It looks like it might have been ditched or something years ago.
I saw it when I bought the truck, but wanted to check it out closer as I had not seen it in years.
I am now weighting the options of welding in a front half frame section from a nice 2wd 3/4 ton diesel frame, instead of just swapping over the 8 lug front suspension parts.
Wow, that blows. A quick turn around project just got a lot more complex.
NJTman is online now   Reply With Quote