1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

78 Ramcharger 2WD 12V build

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2023, 09:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
78 Ramcharger 2WD 12V build

Well I'm starting a build thats been in my head for a long time. I have a 93 Cummins crew cab that i'm using as a donor to make it happen.

As of right now i'm collecting parts over the cold months here in Michigan so that I can jump right in to it as soon as the weather turns. I do already have most everything from the donor to do it but I will need some guidance along this way from you seasoned builders.

Here is the rig that is getting the attention..

The current combo is a 400 with a 727 trans. Like the thread title says i'm dropping in an intercooled 12 valve between the rails. I will never tow with it I just want a fun truck to cruise and take to shows.

The cummins is attatched to a 47RH from a 94-95 truck and was looking for some advice about a trans crossmember. I am looking at a 89-90 3/4 ton diesel crossmember to swap in as the 78 one looks like it might not even be close to modifying to work with the newer trans. I am no stranger to fabrication of parts but thought this might be an option to save some time from having to build a whole new part. Any opinions on this?

This will be a slowly updated thread because it really won't start until spring but i'll post with parts I accumulate as time goes. I'll post pics of hhe donor truck as well (some of you guys might hate me for tearing that truck apart).

Anywho, thanks for any help and hope you enjoy the build as it goes.
Old 10-29-2023, 09:53 AM

Received 2,392 Likes on 1,576 Posts
Sweet ride!

Welcome to DTR

I will be following along. I see you found my similar build I aim doing on a 2WD Ramcharger too. I will be happy to help answer question as you move forward.
I have the 2wd diesel transmission crossmember if you end up needing one too.
Old 10-29-2023, 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by oliver foster
Sweet ride!

Welcome to DTR

I will be following along. I see you found my similar build I aim doing on a 2WD Ramcharger too. I will be happy to help answer question as you move forward.
I have the 2wd diesel transmission crossmember if you end up needing one too.

Thanks very much! Ya, I was super excited when I found your build thread because its pretty well exactly what I'm doing.with mine. I'm sure I will need to pick your brain a few times along the way so I appreciate that. Just by looking at pics of crossmembers I think the diesel setup might be my best option to start with. Let me know what you need for that one you have.

Thanks again!
Old 10-29-2023, 01:46 PM

Received 347 Likes on 286 Posts
I have a feeling any 89-93 2wd crossmember from a 6" frame will work. The one in my 90 D150 looks the same as my 89-90 D250 diesels.

I decided to go 8lug/4000# suspension on my '84 2wd ramcharger. Goes in easy. One of these months i may even finish it....
Old 10-29-2023, 06:48 PM
KRB

Received 495 Likes on 349 Posts
Oh man, that's a sweet looking RC! I like the soft top. Otherwise looks mostly stock still.

Much rust to deal with?

Do you have plans for the 400?

Thanks for sharing!
Old 10-29-2023, 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by u2slow
I have a feeling any 89-93 2wd crossmember from a 6" frame will work. The one in my 90 D150 looks the same as my 89-90 D250 diesels.

I decided to go 8lug/4000# suspension on my '84 2wd ramcharger. Goes in easy. One of these months i may even finish it....
Good info, I'm going to have to pick either one up and just give it a try to see what needs to be done to fit the 47. I'm going to see how the 1/2 ton suspension likes the half ton engine, 3/4 ton springs will be needed I think.

Originally Posted by KRB
Oh man, that's a sweet looking RC! I like the soft top. Otherwise looks mostly stock still.

Much rust to deal with?

Do you have plans for the 400?

Thanks for sharing!
Thank you! Other than the top it is in fact all original. 49,870 miles, bought it from the original owner that just let it sit most its life. It actually had the OG belts and hoses when I got it.

Here is the only rust on it (**** mice)

And here are a couple of pictures of the donor truck.

I hate to do it but I've owned it for around 13 years and its getting a little rough around the edges and its time for a change.

Old 10-30-2023, 04:53 AM
KRB

OK, so now you've started a whole nother tale! The '94 donor motor is in an '80s crew cab, what's the story on that? Did you do that conversion? Is the 400 going in there?

Sorry to be so many questions, but inquiring minds...
Old 10-30-2023, 06:00 AM

Received 340 Likes on 239 Posts
Welcome to the forum, I like the build you are doing and will be following but..... There really not that many crewcabs out there and unless it is a total rust bucket I personally would sell that (it might be ruff to you but someone I'm sure would love to have it) That should give you enough to get a good low milage 215 hp P pump and a good 47rh and any other parts you will need as well as some $$ in your pocket, it will also keep another Cummins Crew on the road.. JMHO
The following users liked this post:
nothingbutdarts (10-30-2023)
Old 10-30-2023, 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by KRB
OK, so now you've started a whole nother tale! The '94 donor motor is in an '80s crew cab, what's the story on that? Did you do that conversion? Is the 400 going in there?

Sorry to be so many questions, but inquiring minds...
Well, I bought the crew cab pretty much the way it is. I've made some changes along the way but its a 93 chassis and drivetrain except the trans with a 85 cab. The cab was channeled to clear the diesels bigger frame and the dash and such swapped in with some late 90"s seats with the belts built in. It really is a nice truck but I don't need the 4X4, only drive it in the summer and I just want something different now. I don't have plans for the 400 out of the RC besides selling it or just putting it in a corner of the garage, it is a 78 low compression engine that has less than 200hp and got its best of 11mpg so, kinda just a boat anchor.

Originally Posted by nonrev
Welcome to the forum, I like the build you are doing and will be following but..... There really not that many crewcabs out there and unless it is a total rust bucket I personally would sell that (it might be ruff to you but someone I'm sure would love to have it) That should give you enough to get a good low milage 215 hp P pump and a good 47rh and any other parts you will need as well as some $$ in your pocket, it will also keep another Cummins Crew on the road.. JMHO
I knew this was coming LOL, I don't like the idea of any more than you do but... I tried to sell the truck locally for $8500 and was offered 6 and someone wanted to trade a golf cart for it so that was my tipping point. I know the pieces are good i'll need to do the swap and its already here. Nice shape dodge diesels are unherd of here in MI for a decent price so its not that easy to find a 2wd donor. The crew is not rotten at all really, needs floorpans and has a pretty good hole in the inner roof panel by the drivers head otherwise the chassis and such was a southern truck and is super clean. I'm going to put what left of it for sale after I pillage what I need from it so its not really a death sentence for the old girl.
Old 10-31-2023, 04:58 AM
KRB

I was thinking what Nonrev said... I can't believe it didn't sell for $8,500. Maybe the crazy high market is softening.
The following users liked this post:
nonrev (10-31-2023)