1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Blackie Lives!

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2019, 09:36 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Blackie Lives!

Hey all, I got a 90 Ram 150 3.9l 2WD. I got her back in high school after I hit a cow in my Tacoma (it was a black cow and it was dark, don't judge me). She had every factory color showing, peeled clearcoat, dull blue basecoat, primer, and lovely surface rust but darn it if she wasn't an awesome, gutless truck. So I sanded her down and gave her her name. Hand painted her tailgate letters blood red. Man I loved that truck. Did so much stupid stuff in it. I saw the white smoke of death puffing out of her tailpipe so I knew it was a matter of time. Then one day her oil pump just stops working. Replaced it, still no pressure. Couldn't figure out the problem but had to move abruptly so I tortured that little v6 for 25 miles to get my stuff into the city. When I backed her into her final resting place I could hear the pistons scraping the cylinder walls. I was distraught. I knew I'd probably never drive her again. Now she's a trashcan on wheels. Her black has chipped and faded to grey, her battery's missing, and I hate seeing her everyday rotting into oblivion.

That was before I started putting my life together and decided it's time to raise her from her crypt. But if I'm gonna do it, I'm doing it right. So here are my options:
1. Buy a replacement 3.9l and go on my merry way
2. Give her the engine she deserves and do a frame-off restoration

Number 1 was never an option. That is one of the worst truck engines ever made. 4 mpg with just as many horsepower? No thanks. Call me crazy, dumb, whatever, but she's an awesome truck that deserves a lot better than what she got. Here's what my baby needs:

12-valve, 4x4

Now I am really confused when it comes to the years and all that (what went where) so that's where I need your help, good citizen. I'm gonna assume her current chassis can't accommodate either of those things so I figure the best route is to find a truck that has or had those things and swap bodies. And no I'm not going to just buy one and paint it black so don't bother. I need the experience. Here's what I'm unsure of.

What is the minimum amount of truck needed to put this together? I.e. if I were to just source a frame, what would it need to come out of to hold the cummins, 4x4, and Blackie's body? (150, 250, W-series, Ramcharger, etc.) Did cummins even go in the 150? I'm really fuzzy on the options and models of the 1st gen so specifics would be awesome. And the applicable years as well. *head banging on desk* I'm a welder too so making some alterations is not something I can't do.

What are my transmission options? I want an automatic so if you're gonna try and convert me you better be persuasive

I'm also assuming my chances of finding a 90 cummins 4x4 in my timezone is a lot worse than finding just a plain ole 250 with a v8 in it. Interestingly enough, there's one down the road that's exactly that. It's probably an 88 or earlier (grid-type grille). If I were to take that off his hands would a 12-valve even fit in it? This goes back to my first question but this is the easiest way for me right now.

Will the body fit on the other chassis? Like did Chrysler do anything that would prevent me from putting a 90 regular cab longbed on an earlier or later model in the same generation? And if so what can I do about it?

What's the best year cummins to grab? I hate electronics so the simpler the better. Also keep in mind this is a truck I'm building to last me the rest of my life, that being said should I get an engine with a shady past and just rebuild her or go the (more) expensive route? And if so what are the best options? (remanufactured, new core with old everything else, etc.) This is my first diesel so I need some orientation.

If I get a 2WD chassis, is it possible to convert to 4WD?

That's it for now. Thank you for taking the time to read this post. Any and all info is greatly appreciated. And I know how expensive this'll be so don't try to talk me out of it. It's Blackie, man. Look at her.

Better days...

That paint faded so fast lol.
The following users liked this post:
thrashingcows (12-08-2019)
Old 12-08-2019, 04:55 AM

Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts
Id say if you can find a w250 frame your body should swap right over. I would try my hardest to find a 4wd frame. I believe there might be some modifications needed to run your grill you have now if you want to go intercooled 12 valve. (91.5-93). If you buy a newer 12 valve (94-98) and have a p-pump is supposed to be the million mile pump.

Transmission if you want automatic you can go several different routes. anywhere from stock A518 to a 48RH swap i believe. You'll have to do some checking on what transfer case will work with what transmission. If your going through all this work i would go with the latter option and get the 48rh and build it so it will last even if you want more power.

There are tons of options, and lots of write ups on this forum. And the guys are very helpful with issues you will run into. Like i said before if your serious about making this a lifetime truck take your time and spend the extra $$$ where it is necessary do your research and you will have your dream truck.

*12 valves only came in D/W 250, 350's.
The following users liked this post:
nothingbutdarts (12-08-2019)
Old 12-08-2019, 10:23 PM

Received 1,332 Likes on 862 Posts
Take a look through my build thread...down below my signature. Lots of pics and info in there on the 2wd to 4wd swap I did on my crewcab, give you an idea of the work and parts involved.

As for some of the specific info you are looking for.....

First dodge never put a cummins in any 150 trucks, D/W - 250 or 350 only. 1st gen's gen truck were 89-91 for Non-IC motors, 91.5 to 93 for IC motors. You can swap a cummins into a D/W 250 or 350 from 1981-93 with little to no issues, you can also swap the 12V into the earlier 72-80 body style trucks as well since the chassis were basically unchanged from 72-93. The frames are generally bigger and thicker on the 1st gen trucks, 250 and 350 then the gasser versions, but using a gasser 250/350 chassis will be fine IMO, and since you are a welder by trade then some boxing of the frame in some of the known weak areas would be nothing for you.

As for swapping bodies onto a frame, any W250 or W350 from 81-93 is a direct swap and those chassis will accept the cummins with no modifications to the chassis, other then perhaps some work/reloaction to the tranny cross member.

Auto tranny options are the stock A518 (46RH( which are decent units with a good high quality low stall torque converter, other options are the 47RH from a 94/95 cummins truck...these have lock up converters as well and everyone I have come across who has done this swap has absolutely loved it. Guess you could go with an Allison, or the later 48RE's but they require controller modules and can be pretty costly.

As was mentioned there is a ton of info here on the site....check out "The Sticky" at the top of the board for a wealth of info on maintenance, upgrades and general modifications to make these trucks even better.

Old 12-27-2020, 09:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Update: Rolling chassis

I finally made a trip to the local u-pull to check out prices and such, not bad, $800 for w-250 frame, rear axle, front axle and trans. Also have a guy who regularly pulls 12 valves for around $2000. A little less affordable but still a great deal.

Now I’d like to start with rolling chassis then add engine then body. Easy right?

So I’ll start off asking for general pointers from the community, things to watch for, etc. and ask my own questions off the top of my head.

My year range for donor is all of the first gen w-250’s so 81-93. Any years to prefer or avoid with 12v in mind? My body is a 90 150 regular cab long bed.

Transmissions confuse me, I will want automatic but is there any on w-250’s that WON’T work with 12v? (Or some that are preferable to others?) Or will they all bolt up (with adaptor plate) to whatever’s in the donor frame? I still need to figure out my 727’s 48rh’s, etc. Little help?

Are all transfer cases created equal?

Will any rear axle that happens to be in the donor work?

I see only a handful of w-250’s pop up over there so once I’ve got my money lined up I’ll probably take whatever they got as long as it’s not toast. But I’ll see every individual part and decide whether it’s worth including in the package or search elsewhere.

Thanks for the help!