1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

1st gen cummins power mods and trany upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2010, 06:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1st gen cummins power mods and trany upgrades

Ok all you cummins pros. I have a pretty much stock 1990 Dodge W250. The only things ive done to it is advance the pump, new fuel key, straight pipe, and new hot side on the turbo. Im looking at boosting the horse power but i need some advice on what to do first and what would be the most bang for the buck. The next thing i need help with is finding a new trans. I have the stock three speed and am looking at possibly an overdrive or a five speed. Im having no luck finding one for my year range. Are there any other trans that will fit? Maybe one from a newer year? Any ideas or info would help greatly. Thanks much.
Old 09-07-2010, 07:58 PM

The biggest bang for your buck is tampering with the pump... it's free and you'll need to do it to increase your horse power anyway. Check the Sticky and Youtube for how-to's. Any problems, come back to the forum, we're all here to help.
However, first and foremost is, at the very least, a pyrometer, (says he who doesn't have one !) You can get cheap ones for around $100, or better ones for around $150, give or take a few.
After that, the sky is the limit... wait, no it's not. Your wallet is the limit! The good news is your stock injectors should be good for upwards of 350 HP, so you just saved a few clams without even trying.
Hope this helps!
Old 09-07-2010, 08:51 PM

What do you mean by fuel key?
Old 09-07-2010, 09:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Onemoparnut
What do you mean by fuel key?
I think he means fuel pin. But if you go to the USER CP and fill out the sig so we came see what you got. A Denny T II fuel pin is a good upgrade. Aslo i dont know about the non-IC trucks, but in the IC trucks if you turn up the pump with stock sticks, the pump will eat the SDS
Welcom to the best cummins fourm on the web
Old 09-07-2010, 11:09 PM

it will eat it on a non ic also
Old 09-07-2010, 11:34 PM

gauges first! then tweek the pump.
Old 09-08-2010, 09:37 AM

sorry i meant fuel pin. i have guages on the way from glowshift. package deal for pyro, boost and oil temp. i have already advanced the pump an 1/8 and turned up my ve pump. what else can i do to it myself? i am working on making an air intake similar to the ice box. just waiting on shipping to get it all put together. i was looking at a govener spring but how else can i turn up my fuel?
Old 09-08-2010, 09:44 AM

i was also thinkin of a p pump. good idea?
Old 09-08-2010, 09:57 AM

any trans ideas?
Old 09-08-2010, 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by countryboy_660
i was also thinkin of a p pump. good idea?
Originally Posted by countryboy_660
any trans ideas?
Kinda depends what your goal for the truck is. Streetable play truck? Dedicated puller or drag truck? Dunno if you read Diesel Power or not, but one of the members' truck's is in there, and he's making 640HP on #2 alone with a VE . A'course, I'm sure he's spent a ridiculous amount on time, thought and money getting there. But it can be done.
I digress. Upgrading your 727 is certainly an option, but may not be the best for your application. Again, depends on what you're wanting to do with the truck. Likewise the P-Pump. If you want all out horsepower, to the exclusion of all else, a P-Pump would be great. But you're going to have some fab' work involved. If you want something in the 350 - 400 HP range, you don't need a new pump, the one you have will be fine.
Old 09-08-2010, 03:33 PM

im looking just to have another gear for highway driving. im not planning on building a 500+ hp truck. just plan on towing horse trailers and derby cars. plus as it is i know that my troque converter is about ready to crap out. so i figured i would kill two birds with one stone and get a better trany rather than just replace the converter.
Old 09-08-2010, 04:01 PM

Location: A 5th dimension, beyond that which is known to man.
you can make 450-500hp on a 12mm ve pump. its not unheard of. the guys over that are using the 14mm pumps but they arent known for being reliable. im not running the enormous injectors the big hp guys are and i still have fuel coming out of the exhaust when the turbo is lit. id say keep your pump unless you are more familiar and comfortable with p-pumps.

i think reading peoples signatures around the web sites will give you an idea of what seems to work. the auto transmissions seem to need love so getting that taken care of first would be my advice.
Old 09-08-2010, 04:24 PM

As everybody has said guages first then it's time to play. Your '90 had the 9mm injector holes which had a tendancy to crack in some cases. The good news I beleive the stock injectors on the '90s can produce a little more power than later stock ones used on later 1st Gens. I'll let everyone elce chime in but there's plenty good advice and help on this forum.

BTW I live in Portland OR - where is Kingston WA?

Bob
Old 09-08-2010, 06:15 PM

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts
You can go with a 518 trans out of a 91.5-93 or update a bit more with a lockup torque converter which is a94-95 47RH (A618). Very similar transmission, just has a fancy (expensive) lockup torque converter.
You need to get a few parts with the 47RH- adapter plate, dipstick tube, starter, ??look on the list ppl here have done it. Mine is a work progress.

Michael
Old 09-08-2010, 08:55 PM

Countryboy 660, if you're towing horses, I'd stick with an auto. I tow them around, and sticks just aren't smooth enough for 'em. So either a 518, ('92 & 93) or as Samiam4 said, a 47RH, which I think is a 4 speed with OD. (The 518 is a 3 speed with OD) Or, if you want to spend big $$$, you could look into a Gear Vendors. Do a google search for them. Pricey but way cool.

Quick Reply: 1st gen cummins power mods and trany upgrades