1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

1992 12 valve will not crank after getting hot?

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2006, 07:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1992 12 valve will not crank after getting hot?

Truck will crank up cold ,after getting hot will not crank, truck spins over great, does this year have a relay to fuel shut off ? Where should I check for them I looked everywhere. Check shut off with key on and have fired. Could trans switch be bad? Cannot find a manual for a 1992, 12 valve. Replace all Injectors, Please advise
Old 08-28-2006, 07:41 PM

fill out your sig so everyone knows exactly what you are running.
Old 08-28-2006, 08:29 PM

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts
The trans switch on an automatic prevents the engine from turning over on the starter in any gear but park and neutral. If the engine cranks and won't start hot I would check the electrical connection on the shut down solenoid first. They have a rather unreliable history.
Old 08-28-2006, 09:00 PM

I change the shut down solenoid, check with test light with key on had power, does it have relay anywhere?
Old 08-28-2006, 09:55 PM

Originally Posted by getarealjob
I change the shut down solenoid, check with test light with key on had power, does it have relay anywhere?
I'm not shore that i'm comleatly understanding you.

did you have power to the shut down switch with the key on?
did you here the relay(Edit sorry fuel shut down switch) click when you remove the wire from it(with the key in the run position?)

is the starter turnning the eng when it hot but just not starting, or is there no starter action at all.
Old 08-28-2006, 11:11 PM

Truck will crank, runs fine, after it gets hot will not crank back up, I check the fuel cut off soleind with a test light with the key on, and have I have power to it, engine spins over great, just will not start again. I change the soleind with a new one, just put in new injectors, check for air leaks, etc, came up with nothing..
Old 08-28-2006, 11:37 PM

Truck will crank, runs fine, after it gets hot will not crank back up, I check the fuel cut off soleind with a test light with the key on, and have I have power to it, engine spins over great, just will not start again. I change the soleind with a new one, just put in new injectors, check for air leaks, etc, came up with nothing..
When it hot and running,before you shut it down is the eng idle slower then when it cold?

is the lift pump working?

if you blead the injectors, when it a no start, do thay spray fuel and when tighted back up.... will it start back up?
Old 08-29-2006, 03:22 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What I would do if I were you is to pull the spring and the pin out of the shut down solenoid, Re-install the solenoid without its guts, and see if it still does not start when it gets hot. At least then you have completely taken the solenoid out of the picture.
Old 08-29-2006, 11:00 AM

Forgive me if you have already eliminated this BUT I have found it suprisingly difficult to make a good contact between the wire and the shut-off solenoid. I had to remove and replace the terminal, polish the male terminal on the solenoid, crimp the new female connector and add some dielectric grease to keep that puppy behaving.

Eliminate this before doing anything more serious. Nag nag nag.............
Old 08-29-2006, 11:08 AM

My truck does the exact same thing, but only in the summer time. I tend to notice it more when I'm parked slightly uphill and it's hot outside. I havent had the problem since I installed the FASS pump, but I could usually prime the lift pump and it would fire again. I dont think the shutoff solenoid is the problem...
Old 08-29-2006, 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by NeedMoPower
My truck does the exact same thing, but only in the summer time. I tend to notice it more when I'm parked slightly uphill and it's hot outside. I havent had the problem since I installed the FASS pump, but I could usually prime the lift pump and it would fire again. I dont think the shutoff solenoid is the problem...

I think yours is a air problem, that your FASS is hiding.
Old 08-29-2006, 11:35 AM

Read a little closer. I said I havent had the problem since I installed the FASS. When I had the stock lift pump I could manually prime it and it would start again.
Old 08-29-2006, 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by NeedMoPower
Read a little closer. I said I havent had the problem since I installed the FASS. When I had the stock lift pump I could manually prime it and it would start again.
the FASS will prime the system up just like when you had the manual pump and would pump the lever to get it to fire up.
Old 08-29-2006, 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by flashgordon
the FASS will prime the system up just like when you had the manual pump and would pump the lever to get it to fire up.
I dont know how to be any clearer....I dont have the non-starting problem anymore once I switched to the FASS. I did have the problem when I had the stock lift pump. I'm merely suggesting to getarealjob that he might consider manually priming his lift pump when he has the non starting problems.

I'm fully aware of how the FASS primes the system.
Old 08-29-2006, 03:24 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Truck will crank up cold ,after getting hot will not crank, truck spins over great, does this year have a relay to fuel shut off ? Where should I check for them I looked everywhere. Check shut off with key on and have fired. Could trans switch be bad? Cannot find a manual for a 1992, 12 valve. Replace all Injectors, Please advise
Sounds like the injection pump is getting tired. If you can't find any air leaks, pour cool water over the injector pump next time it won't start. If it fires up, you need a new pump.

Quick Reply: 1992 12 valve will not crank after getting hot?