1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

1978 Dodge Crew cab to be built!

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2013, 05:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SaskAttak
Great project! I am putting a 93 CTD into a 79 reg cab power wagon W200, first frame off as well. Easy trucks to work, less some ignorant bolts.

Wish there were more 4dr 1st gens around these parts.

Yea I had bad luck finding the 4 drs and usually nobody wanted to sell them around here so I was origionally planning on convertin my 75,But I guess i'll see how this slow project build goes, and maybe i'll drop one in the 75.

Where you located at? I could keep an eye out on craigslist-im always a searchin and I actually changed my search criteria and found this one,otherwise I prolly would of never found it.
Old 04-20-2013, 05:59 PM

Anybody Here that has a 2010-2013 Dodge ram Crew cab 2500/3500 with 6'4" bed with 148.9" wheelbase that could do some frame measurements for me off their new truck that I could use to compare with my 78 frame.

This is what I wanna Start off with for frame comparisons
Front Frame width(outsides of the frame)--
Rear Frame Width(Outsides of the frame)--
Cab mount from Front to Rear distances apart--
Also steering gearbox on inside of the frame or outside?

Thanks in Advance to the person has a new truck and takes their time to do these measurements for me. Much appreciated. Everybody I know got new half tons which have shorted wheelbases and shorter bedboxes, or otherwise running old quadcab HD.
Old 04-21-2013, 12:17 AM

Received 1,332 Likes on 862 Posts
Originally Posted by Lenny Boysen
Anybody Here that has a 2010-2013 Dodge ram Crew cab 2500/3500 with 6'4" bed with 148.9" wheelbase that could do some frame measurements for me off their new truck that I could use to compare with my 78 frame.

This is what I wanna Start off with for frame comparisons
Front Frame width(outsides of the frame)--
Rear Frame Width(Outsides of the frame)--
Cab mount from Front to Rear distances apart--
Also steering gearbox on inside of the frame or outside?

Thanks in Advance to the person has a new truck and takes their time to do these measurements for me. Much appreciated. Everybody I know got new half tons which have shorted wheelbases and shorter bedboxes, or otherwise running old quadcab HD.
Maybe swing on up to the 4th Gen forum and ask there....

Be an interesting build if you do go that route. I'll be watching for sure.
Old 04-21-2013, 10:52 AM

Thanks, just started a new thread over there for frame measurements-Hopefully the frame work out, Looks like I be the guinea pig. More then likely i'll do 2" body lift to address most clearance issues cab/driveline clearance issues.
Old 04-21-2013, 11:37 AM

Thanks, just started a new thread over there for frame measurements-Hopefully the frame work out, Looks like I be the guinea pig. More then likely i'll do 2" body lift to address most clearance issues cab/driveline clearance issues.
Good thinking. Another thought I had was the engine and motor set back....hope you don't have to hack into your cab.
Old 04-21-2013, 12:52 PM

Good thought, I'll have to add that, Not sure how about to do measurements on the engine mount location. I suppose measure front of engine mount to center of the front differential be easiest way to measure and compare with my current frame?
Old 04-21-2013, 12:59 PM
Administrator

Received 171 Likes on 129 Posts
FWIW, At least the older FSM's had the frame dimensions that you will need. Geno's doesn't sell the newer manuals, but you could probably get one online somewhere. You might also be able to get that info from the local dealer who wants to sell you the frame.

Might also help you with line routing, etc.
Old 04-21-2013, 01:38 PM

Good thought, I'll have to add that, Not sure how about to do measurements on the engine mount location. I suppose measure front of engine mount to center of the front differential be easiest way to measure and compare with my current frame?
I have been pondering this....guess it really doesn't matter too much. You can always make engine mounts to move the motor forward, or back. And then adjust the tranny mount.
Old 04-21-2013, 03:11 PM

Did researchin,G56 has been installed in 1st gen ram already. Less then 2" of clearance needed and you can bolt up np205
Old 04-21-2013, 03:27 PM

Yea I got a buddy that welds for the Giant Gomaco Paving machinery, much better welder then I am, been welding since he was 8 ,so if I gotta move motor mounts he be the guy to weld it for me. I'm thinking if I mock up the driveline, put the bed box in position, then installed the cab and see what I got to work with
Old 04-21-2013, 05:17 PM

Received 208 Likes on 130 Posts
Front Frame width(outsides of the frame)--under cab 41 5/8,
Rear Frame Width(Outsides of the frame)-- 42 1/8
Cab mount from Front to Rear distances apart-- 36 1/4, 44 1/2. There's 3 each side. Measurements are front to middle, middle to rear
Also steering gearbox on inside of the frame or outside? Inside
Old 04-21-2013, 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by gyman98
Front Frame width(outsides of the frame)--under cab 41 5/8,
Rear Frame Width(Outsides of the frame)-- 42 1/8
Cab mount from Front to Rear distances apart-- 36 1/4, 44 1/2. There's 3 each side. Measurements are front to middle, middle to rear
Also steering gearbox on inside of the frame or outside? Inside

Thanks Gyman89 for the measurements!!.. Time to do some comparisons. I've got your Thread build saved on my favorites along with other build threads I've found on here. You got a sweet truck, how do you like ford seats and how our those airbags on rear diff working out for ya?
Old 04-21-2013, 08:06 PM

Thanks for the kind words! IMO ford has some of the nicest seats. I also limited my search at the time to super duty seats as they have all the power seat relays built in the seat them selves and the heat buttons are on there as well.

The air bags are great, leave them at 15psi empty and 50 loaded. Keeps the truck level and handling great when loaded up.

On my 2011 frame I noticed that after the cab the rails come together until the motor mounts then spread apart again for the bumper
Old 04-21-2013, 08:34 PM

Thanks for info on the seat, I was thinking like new laramie seats(front and rear heated but if relays are built into the seats that makes things simpler-I like)
Interesting. I measured my frame and its about 37 1/2" wide under the cab-however there's a lot of room on both sides of the cab for wider frame, its just the rear of the cab that comes close to the frame, but 2" body lift should resolve that slight issue. Same Measurement at the rear by the tailgate also.

Interesting:Wonder what your measurements would be from Outside of frames at motor mount location. Wonder if it went inwards just for motor mount location.

Whenever you get time again could you do 3 more measurements, Thanks again
1st--Measure from outside of frame again side to side at Engine mount locations since you said it goes inwards
2nd--Measure from Center engine mount to against front of cab
3rd--Center of engine mount to the end of front frame
Old 04-21-2013, 08:55 PM

1st--Measure from outside of frame again side to side at Engine mount locations since you said it goes inwards. I will try, it also goes up so the engine and coil springs will be in the way. I may be able to drop plumb bobs though
2nd--Measure from Center engine mount to against front of cab. I can do that however it may not help you because a cummins 5.9 is the same throughout the 12v years at least. 1st gen mounts are way different from 2nd gen mounts and 6.7 common rail are very different. I don't think you would be comparing apples to apples. IMO
3rd--Center of engine mount to the end of front frame

Quick Reply: 1978 Dodge Crew cab to be built!