12 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Talk about the 12V engine and drivetrain here. This is for 1994-1998.5 engine and drivetrain discussion only.

Who IS running a waste oil mix?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2011, 05:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oil from transformers can have PCB's in them which are not good for the environment nor the human
Old 02-08-2011, 10:42 PM

I run up to 10 gallons or so in the main tank and straight oil (WMO, Veg) in the auxiliary. Everything gets extensively centrifuged and dewatered, then I have a 10 micron filter on my filling nozzle before it goes into either tank and have a 10 micron filter for each tank.

This winter I have been going around evacuating peoples old heating oil tanks in their basement. Have more than I can handle! I centrifuge and dewater all of it and put it in the main tank. Then I add the WMO to get rid of any evidence of red dye!

Runs excellent. It smokes during idle... but thats expected.
Old 02-08-2011, 10:50 PM

the main reason i do it is the savings in fuel it gives me. ive been running 50/50 here l8ly with no problems
Old 02-09-2011, 11:47 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Then I add the WMO to get rid of any evidence of red dye!
You do know that if you get checked and your fuel is any color other than regular onroad diesel that they will send your fuel in for a lab test for the chemical tracers used in the red dye.

You can be certain that anything you can think of to cheat on taxes has already been thought of by the revenuers.
Got to be careful with black WMO fuel too.
In several states the fine for adding WMO to your fuel is higher than for running dyed offroad fuel.
Old 02-09-2011, 02:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The 2nd gen runs 5-50% wmo depending on the temperature outside. The only thing I ran into is the injectors coking. I think what caused that is the fact that it rarely pulls a load.
Old 02-09-2011, 03:23 PM

anyone doing this with a common rail?
Old 02-09-2011, 08:05 PM

dont know that i wud do this with a common rail specs are much different on the fuel system. if anyone is im sure its not to the extent we are
Old 02-10-2011, 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by infidel
You do know that if you get checked and your fuel is any color other than regular onroad diesel that they will send your fuel in for a lab test for the chemical tracers used in the red dye.

You can be certain that anything you can think of to cheat on taxes has already been thought of by the revenuers.
Got to be careful with black WMO fuel too.
In several states the fine for adding WMO to your fuel is higher than for running dyed offroad fuel.
I guess I'll just take my chances. Why would they pull over a pickup and check the fuel? My father owns a fleet of commercial buses and diesel trucks and in the past 15 years has never had fuel inspected.
Old 02-10-2011, 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by Cadillac Man
I guess I'll just take my chances. Why would they pull over a pickup and check the fuel? My father owns a fleet of commercial buses and diesel trucks and in the past 15 years has never had fuel inspected.
It seems to vary according to how hard up individual states are strapped for cash on how aggressive they are at checking.
Might get worse with more states in debt nowdays.

In Montana they figured out it was cheaper to let people get away with not paying dyed fuel taxes than it was check for it.
Now there are only two inspectors for the entire state who only hang out at interstate highway weigh stations. Before there were 50 inspectors.
Old 02-10-2011, 05:24 PM

I did about 50K miles in a Ferd IDI & the problems I had were that the glow plugs would coke up & a simple wire brushing @ every oil change fixed that, 50/50 worked down to +/- 20* & from 50* on up it would start & run fine on up to 90% WMO At 70% it sniffed clean enough to pass DEQ. The 12V will do fine on a blend of 90/10 WMO down to about 10* & at that ratio it recently passed DEQ with flying colors but all my WMO is filtered through a 2 micron water separator.
Old 02-10-2011, 09:01 PM

my filter is a 3 micron spec and i am making a water seperator it will all be one unit when im done
Old 02-11-2011, 03:13 PM

heh, if I could find work in SW montana (where its a little warmer) Id be there in a heartbeat.
Up here the mentality is, spend whatever it takes to enforce the law no matter how ridiculous it is.
For example...Weve lost several ORV areas to ride in, but they just keep taking our plate fees and pumping the $$$ into new equipment for the police. No new land purchases or any maintenance is taking place.

Im surprised no one has come up with plans for hidden tanks and such, if hiding your fuel type is a priority.
Im not too thrilled about the idea of running untaxed fuel these days. Like you say the states are looking for revenue. Its a bad situation because everyones broke too.

It seems to vary according to how hard up individual states are strapped for cash on how aggressive they are at checking.
Might get worse with more states in debt nowdays.

In Montana they figured out it was cheaper to let people get away with not paying dyed fuel taxes than it was check for it.
Now there are only two inspectors for the entire state who only hang out at interstate highway weigh stations. Before there were 50 inspectors.
Old 02-11-2011, 07:17 PM

Im surprised no one has come up with plans for hidden tanks and such, if hiding your fuel type is a priority.
The taxman is wise to that trick also and if they suspect you're trying to pull anything over on them will pull the sample from your fuel filter drain.
I hear all the time that they can take a sample by scraping soot from your tailpipe too but don't know if it's internet rumor or true.

A researcher at work got a grant from the IRS a few years ago to use mint oil as an offroad fuel additive so the fuel police could tell if someone was cheating just by smelling as the vehicle passed by. Mint oil is extremely concentrated, one small drop on your skin burns like he!! and will smell for days even if you scrub it several times.
It was going great and was going to be adapted by the IRS until the exhaust filtered engines came out. The filters filtered out the mint smell.
Old 02-12-2011, 08:12 AM

It was going great and was going to be adapted by the IRS until the exhaust filtered engines came out. The filters filtered out the mint smell.
you're refering to the DPF on newer trucks i presume? i wud sure hope it wud take the smell out do you know the temps they reach inside those things? its unbelievable
Old 02-12-2011, 09:32 AM

What types of motor oil can you run in the fuel? Are there any you shouldn't use?

I've got about 60 quarts of random oil that nothing I have uses that I want to get rid of. Figured this might be a good way to get rid of it.

Quick Reply: Who IS running a waste oil mix?