12 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Talk about the 12V engine and drivetrain here. This is for 1994-1998.5 engine and drivetrain discussion only.

Wait to start light / glowplug questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2005, 03:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Wait to start light / glowplug questions

97 2500 w/ 196k miles on it. Just recently purchased and I love the truck...

I live in SE US so since I have had the truck, the temp has been above 70 always.

My question is how long should that wait to start light be on? For me, it is always on for approx. 5 seconds whether the truck is started cold or has been running for a while. It is a little more difficult starting cold if I don't wait for the WTS light to go out but other than that, I don't see a real difference.

The main reason I am asking is because I would expect the WTS light to go out almost immediately when the truck is warm or has been running a while - but it is always 5 seconds. I test drove a ford with the 6.0 PSD and when it was warm, in the summer, the light would go out fast. I love the cummins, it just has me curious now - I am wondering if something is wrong that I don't know about.

Any good thoughts for a newbie?
Old 07-30-2005, 03:51 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
First, our trucks do not use glow plugs. They have a grid heater in the intake. Do a search and you will find lots of info.

Sounds like normal ops. When colder temps get here, you will find it stays on for a bit longer, but our motors will fire just fine down to zero without it, just may smoke and complain a little bit.

Do the search, and read all you can about the 12V.

Do yourself a favor and read up on KDP also. That's a dowel pin in the front timing case that can jump out and take a big bite out of the $$.

Enjoy the rig.

Ed
Old 07-30-2005, 03:56 PM

Thanks for the input.

You know, you get a new toy and you want to know everything there is immediately. Its fun figuring this stuff out when you have time but man when life is busy, I am glad the CTD just runs...

I have read about the KDP but haven't dug in there to look for it. This truck used to belong to Neff Rentals and was leased out as a construction truck in Va. They took incredible care of it so I would think the kdp had been fixed, but it would behoove me to check it out.

Thanks,
bausman
Old 07-30-2005, 05:17 PM

Originally posted by bausman

I have read about the KDP but haven't dug in there to look for it. This truck used to belong to Neff Rentals and was leased out as a construction truck in Va. They took incredible care of it so I would think the kdp had been fixed, but it would behoove me to check it out.

Thanks,
bausman
Better dig in there and find out if it's been repaired ASAP, or it'll de-wallet ya. Been there, done that.
Old 07-30-2005, 07:27 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
The 5 seconds or so you are seeing the light on is just the bulb test, the grids won't heat up till the temps are in the 50s.
If someone didn't tell you they took care of the KDP I'm 99% certain it hasn't been.
Old 08-04-2005, 09:25 PM

Previous owner told me that mine had the KDP fixed... either the mechanic lied, or he didn't know what I was asking about cause it wasn't fixed and killed my timing case (and my wallet).
Old 08-05-2005, 05:27 AM

Bausman are you in the Charelston SC area? I think that I looked at your truck when it was for sale on the lot. Just curious.