12 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Talk about the 12V engine and drivetrain here. This is for 1994-1998.5 engine and drivetrain discussion only.

Unusual Surging Problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2011, 03:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unusual Surging Problem

My gas pedal is very sensitive. Whenever I go over rough ground, especially washboard, the slight movement in my foot causes quick acceleration and deceleration. This results in a violent jerking motion. The pedal seems to be firm with the motor turned off, then very light with the motor running. I have to rectify this before I damage the powertrain. There is no problem with the cruise control activated. Has anyone had a similar problem??
Old 04-17-2011, 04:18 PM

Can't help you, but I have the same problem. Mine does it with light throttle in second or third gear. My transfer case mount is new, haven't checked the motor mounts though.
Old 04-17-2011, 07:07 PM

Get some more return springs on your throttle linkage. Or get more control in the muscles in your foot. I've had the same issues with 5k gov springs and big injectors, but you're a ways off that. My dad had issues with that in my daily driver, but I can drive it smoothly. I pulled a couple of the return springs off my throttle linkage because I like the light pedal.
Old 04-18-2011, 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by Tate
Get some more return springs on your throttle linkage. Or get more control in the muscles in your foot. I've had the same issues with 5k gov springs and big injectors, but you're a ways off that. My dad had issues with that in my daily driver, but I can drive it smoothly. I pulled a couple of the return springs off my throttle linkage because I like the light pedal.
This problem only showed up recently. There is only 1 spring in the throttle linkage that I can see. Could I have lost or broken a spring? Is there more than one?
Old 04-18-2011, 09:57 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
There is only 1 spring in the throttle linkage that I can see. Could I have lost or broken a spring?
There's supposed to be two springs.
On some years they are side by side, on others one inside the other.
Very common for one or both to break or fall off causing a sensitive pedal.
New springs are $9 each from the dealer or much cheaper and easier from the the auto parts or hardware store for a generic spring.
Old 04-18-2011, 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by infidel
There's supposed to be two springs.
On some years they are side by side, on others one inside the other.
Very common for one or both to break or fall off causing a sensitive pedal.
New springs are $9 each from the dealer or much cheaper and easier from the the auto parts or hardware store for a generic spring.
THANKYOU.....Infidel, I may try elastic bands so I can get the tension I want before I get a spring. Thanks to everyone for their imput.