12 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Talk about the 12V engine and drivetrain here. This is for 1994-1998.5 engine and drivetrain discussion only.

Transmission not always shifting up.

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2009, 07:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Transmission not always shifting up.

Hi Folks,

I have a 1996, 2500 with the cummins 12v and auto trans with 171,000 K on it.

Lately it has not always been shifting up well into 2nd gear and at time into
3rd too. If I back off on the gas for a second, and then power up again it will often then shift. Does that sound like a govenor solenoid and transducer issue?

I took it to a tranny shop and they changed the oil and checked all the relays from engine to tranny but said it would need to be rebuilt.

I don't by it, does anyone know of a good tranny shop in Ottawa, Ontario Canada, or even close, or what the problem might be?

Thanks All!
Old 02-17-2009, 11:37 PM

i would start by checking the t/v cable and adjustment. the gov solenoid and transducer mainly causes very quick upshifts and or 3rd starts
Old 02-18-2009, 08:01 AM

Thanks for the reply.

I checked the play in the cable at the engine, and the springs and arm at the transmission, they look OK to me, not much play at all and with some one watching the trans arm all seems to be moving in unison.

The Trans is stock from what I can gather, it does have 170,000k on it, and spent a good part of its life pulling a RV around the country, maybe some other problem.

Anyway I'm a carpenter, not a mechanic, but the truck has been great for the last two years that I had it.

What I need is a good, honest tranny shop. The place I went to wants 3,000,00 to rebuild it, ( I don't think they have a clue) and what if the problem continues, Arrhh.
Old 02-18-2009, 12:30 PM

Does the truck go into reverse like normal?
Old 02-18-2009, 03:08 PM

Yes, reverse works fine. It even shifts fine 30% of the time in all gears. I could drive it as is but its getting more problematic and not sure I'm doing it any good.

Thanks.
Old 02-19-2009, 12:36 AM

with an -intermittant- shift problem like that on this trans i would almost have to assume internal trans problem, you are probably having pressure problem in the valve body. either by dirt in the valves or worn and sticking, there is basically too many miles on this poor tranny to dump money in it to hobble along for a little bit longer, my guess would be a valve body. but its not economical to do this and then have to do again when trans fails.
Old 02-19-2009, 02:53 AM

Thanks,

Anyway the truck is in mint shape, and the motor too. Guess I will just get it rebuilt but need to find a good shop.
Old 02-19-2009, 03:46 AM

Out of curiosity, have you tried cleaning the TPS ( Throttle Position Sensor ) ?

My trans was hunting for lockup in O/D, I removed the TPS, cleaned it a little and tranny rerurned to it's normal operation.

It's a 15 minute job to remove and reinstall. Once off, I turned the slot a lot of times, to clean the contacts inside (just like on old radio volume *****).

It's a simple operation worth a try before condemning it.
Old 02-19-2009, 08:18 AM

OK I will try that, so I just unclip the plug/wire harness and remove the two screws. Any little parts in there that will fall out or anything to be concerned about. I don't have a manual. Should get one.

Thanks.
Old 02-19-2009, 09:24 AM

Trans

I had the same problem with my 96 2500. Took it to a independent repair shop
they wanted to rebuild the trany for $1,900. Than I went to the Dodge dealer
They would put in a remanufactured trany for $2,200. with a year warranty and
lifetime with the dealer. I went with the dealer. The new trans didn't correct the
shifting problem they (dealer)changed the trans. three times in one month's time could not get the truck to shift right. I than took the truck to a mec.working out of his garage he kept the truck overnight next day he had it fixed. been working now for two years without problems. If your trans is not slipping you don't need a trans. But you have to find a mec. who knows how to adjust the trans.
Old 02-19-2009, 02:19 PM

Well that confirms my feelings too. It works fine at times, and it is not slipping at all.

I saw a similar report hear like yours, guy had trans rebuilt but same problem. I don't need that!

I think it needs to be looked at by someone who has a clue. Maybe try a few truck dealers out in the country, they would maybe deal more often with these issues, maybe.

Thanks!
Old 02-20-2009, 08:29 AM

Gritty where are you located. There just might be a forum member close by that can help. Or know of a shop that can help ya
Old 02-20-2009, 09:03 PM

I am located in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada.
Old 02-21-2009, 08:18 AM

has anyone scanned the truck? if not I would put a gauge on the govenor pressure port and a scanner on it and make sure actual pressure (gauge) is the same or real close to the scanner. if the readings are not same or close I would replace governor solenoid and transducer. Also does it act up more so cold than hot?
Old 02-21-2009, 11:07 AM

It started out acting up when cold, way below freezing, and is always more of a problem in very cold weather. When it warms up and gets above freezing it is better but still causes issues.

The tranny shop I had it in did do a scanning, but I an not sure what they scanned for and it was not a diesel specific shop, more into cars by the look of it. They said it all looked OK so would need to be rebuilt. I just want to get as much info as I can, It may not need to be done.

Thanks.