12 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Talk about the 12V engine and drivetrain here. This is for 1994-1998.5 engine and drivetrain discussion only.

Tranny Help?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2008, 09:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tranny Help?

Alrighty then…I know this subject has been discussed before and I have been reading different posts, but here’s what I got. I had a 98 12v regular cab 5 spd, and sold it because I wanted an extended cab/quad cab. I found a 98 12v quad cab long box, but with an auto. After extensive debating with myself, I decided to get it. Now I have the thought to convert it to a manual. I don’t mind the auto, its stock. But I miss the being able to control what gear you are in, getting the power to the ground in every gear, and shifting sometimes. Plus manuals just seem simpler and more straight forward as far as maintenance and if anything would ever go wrong. So I was looking for feedback, opinions, and truths, whatever. I’m wondering if I should do the conversion, or keep the auto and build it up? I have 4000 GSK, #10 plate, plan on getting some DDP stage 2 or 3 injectors, and maybe twin turbos, and that would be about it. I also pull a gooseneck occasionally hauling equipment, pull a travel trailer, and I would like to be able to sled pull every now and then. If I put a manual in I would put in a dual disk clutch that can be sled pulled as well as street able. Does anyone have a dual disk clutch and pull a trailer regularly and sled pull? How is it on the street with the trailer? Same question for an auto? How much would you have to build one up for my application? Anyone run an auto pulling trailers a lot and sled pull at all? How often do you change the fluid on a built up tranny to prolong its life? Any feedback and opinions would be appreciated! Thanks!
Old 04-15-2008, 03:11 PM

Built Auto-5-7K with billet parts, you dont loose boost between shifts

DD 3600clutch-2k fix 5th gear nut and 1 3/8 input shaft plus cost of nv4500
have better control of gear for towing, slower on the street shifting can be good or bad at times

most people change trans fluid 15-20k miles i got a magtech pan and to drop the pan and change filter about 8quarts of fluid and 30 min time.
Old 04-16-2008, 09:01 PM

If you are bound and determined to have a manual, I suggest buying it. You can exchange vehicles for less expense than acquiring parts and installing. The work justs go on and on with this type conversion. There is always a surprise factor also. Been there, done that.