HELP! If you have an EMERGENCY situation with your truck, or you need IMMEDIATE technical help, use this board.

Help, tranny started slipping Grand Teton Pass !! help

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2011, 03:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help, tranny started slipping Grand Teton Pass !! help

Well we got half way up Grand Teton pass pulling my fiver and the tranny started to slip, was able to make a scary U-Turn using a Truck Runaway lane.

On the scary ride back down it turns out that 2nd? gear is screwed, if we can get passed 2nd it shifts fine even into overdrive (locking the torque converter).

No codes other than tranny overheating on dashboard.

As luck would have it there is a Dodge dealer in Jackson , Wyoming, AND a campground one block away'"!!!!!

Soooo it's sitting at the dealer as I write this, ANY ideas as to what to expect from the dealer other than we need a new tranny......I'm newly laid off from work so money will be an issue.

Being unemployed we thought what a great time for a trip....boy was I wrong sitting 2,000 miles from home.

Thanks

Ron
Old 06-03-2011, 04:03 PM
"How in the heck do I change the phrase in between my user name and avatar?"

Man, at least you had problems in a beautiful part of the country. My wife and I had our honeymoon there 4 yrs ago and even then it seemed that everything was expensive in Jackson . One can only hope for the best with a tranny problem, especially at a dealership. Possible it's something than can be easily fixed....and hopefully cheaply.

Sorry about you losing you job as it seems to be happening to lots of folks again. At least you got to see some of the prettiest and more scenic parts of the countryside. I really hope things work out for the better and they get you back on the road without a bunch of hassle.

Oh yeah, and that Teton Pass.....you really want everything on the truck working properly.....we went through it in the winter!!!!!!!
Old 06-03-2011, 05:12 PM

Metal in pan, planetary gear in pieces..

They have an independent auto transmission shop that builds up triple disc units with new shift kit, thrust bearings etc...looks like that's my best option.

Dodge branded rebuilt trannys would cost the same $4k...plus availability of Dodge units was a week away.

Ron
Old 06-03-2011, 05:20 PM

That sucks! I am just over the hill from you in Idaho. Let me know if you need anything. You could try calling Stones Dodge in Rexburg, ID and see if they will give you a competitive bid to fix the truck and maybe you can use it for leverage with the dealer in Jackson, because everything is more expensive in Jackson.
Old 06-04-2011, 07:48 PM

Thanks for the offer Maverick, I went with an unit built by Western Transmission a triple disc billet shaft.

Worked out as the same price as a Dodge rebuilt.

So far so good.....

Ron W.