12 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Talk about the 12V engine and drivetrain here. This is for 1994-1998.5 engine and drivetrain discussion only.

Stock A518 Transmission Rebuilder? Quality Workk?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2019, 10:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stock A518 Transmission Rebuilder? Quality Workk?

Hi All,

Google searches for rebuilt A518s end up with suppliers who I can't verify their integrity, so I'm here to ask those who have experienced good work. I've got 490K+ on my 92 D350 and it's trans has already been rebuilt once by previous owner. Seems like its time again. My engine is stock and if anything, the only mods in it's future would be a stock rebuild.

I'm most interested in durability and fuel economy. I've been doing mainly short hauls pulling equipment trailers, tractors, excavators, etc to whip my property into shape. It will tow a trailer with 8000 lb tractor on a regular basis (again in neighborhood) in it's future.

Looking for a reputable rebuilder who uses quality parts and is proven to stand behind their warranty. I'm in Northern California.

Much Appreciation.

Brian
Old 01-31-2019, 11:08 AM

Received 1,637 Likes on 1,112 Posts
I just went though a NIGHTMARE with a local AAmco trans shop. Actually, they're not a trans shop anymore. They're all around hacks.

Sorry, but the trans guy was awesome. He doesn't work there. He's a sub contractor for the shop. He comes in after the monkey's ape the trans out of your vehicle, he does a nice quality build, and then the monkeys screw it all up putting it back in, so the 3 day job takes 3.5 weeks. Best part, is when you get it back, and you roll around under there, there aren't any tight bolts, the TV cable was removed and replaced 180* out in it's bracket (which had to be bent for it to stay), and it LEAKS from the front pump area, and the new pan gasket you gave them because they OVERTORQUED the pan bolts.

Yeah.... Aamco... That's where to go

Sorry.

I would do whatever I could to find a quality rebuilder near you, by going shop to shop, finding out what their policy is, doing google review searches for them (although that didn't work for me), and so on.

I think the best guys are the professional speed shops that build race cars. The fella who built mine works in one, and subs to the Aamco dealer when they have a trans to do. Moonlighting is I guess what it comes down to.

Wishing you NONE of the issues I've had.
Old 01-31-2019, 11:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Valuable opinion, crappy way of having to form it...... thanks for sharing that... hoofing it shop to shop like you say makes the most sense.

Thanks

Brian