12 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Talk about the 12V engine and drivetrain here. This is for 1994-1998.5 engine and drivetrain discussion only.

Replacement For Crappy Dodge Tranny?

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2010, 09:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Dr. Evil
Don - DTT is in Vancouver. Expect to pay $4-6 k for a DTT. Another option is NADP/NAPC in Edmonton, again $$.

I suspect youll get a much better deal ordering from the midwest.
Ok what are you saying??? Where will I get the best price on a tranny for my 95 Ram ??Who will give me the best price and quality built tranny??
I just want to do this once and get it right . Thanks Don T

( shipping would be a bunch a $$$ from Ohio )
Old 09-27-2010, 10:13 PM

Shipping will be a bunch wherever you are getting it from. Dave Goerend is one of the best, if not the best in the business. Just do some reading here.

Also check out HTS.

Theres lots of suppliers - unfortunately, all will be expensive.
Old 09-28-2010, 06:27 AM

Shipping will be a bunch wherever you are getting it from. Dave Goerend is one of the best, if not the best in the business. Just do some reading here.

Also check out HTS.

Theres lots of suppliers - unfortunately, all will be expensive.
Well my Ram is getting it done hauling my fiver,but I would love to have a little more for the hills.Trans temps go high on some hills (220) and I hate that.the 10 tp made a big difference in how the truck pulls the fiver. I installed it in the stock position and have not moved it or adjusted anything else.Diesel help is hard to find around here, I usually let them talk till I know for sure i`am hearing bull $hit and then leave.The tranny in my truck has never been apart yet and when it comes out I want it to be done correctly. I would like to install a good torque converter now and see if with the correct management of the skinny petal if the tranny will hold together a little longer.There is a guy in Tronto ,I think that does trannies and a friend wants me to get a rebuild kit from him. He said he is the best. My friend ran a tranny shop in Ontario for a few years and is at me to order a kit. I will have to give him a call and see what he is offering. I have two years to get this tranny up to the trip I want to make with the wife accost Canada. I do have some time yet,but will have it rebuilt before the trip. Thanks so much for your help. Later Don T
Old 09-28-2010, 07:37 AM
Administrator

Received 171 Likes on 129 Posts
Originally Posted by Don T
Larry Ellis

I`am from Nova Scotia Canada and will have to have a trans and tq shipped over here. I see Goerend has a core charge of $300.00 for the trans and I will eat that cost because it will cost more than that to have it shipped. I will call them and see what can be done.
Hey, something else to consider, why not road trip to Iowa? Dave can rebuild yours in a day, you save a TON on shipping and cores, plus no Importation issues. Yes, it is probably a solid 18-20 hour drive, but you also get to see your baby being built, not to mention I like to meet the guy who does the work.
Old 09-28-2010, 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by patdaly
Hey, something else to consider, why not road trip to Iowa? Dave can rebuild yours in a day, you save a TON on shipping and cores, plus no Importation issues. Yes, it is probably a solid 18-20 hour drive, but you also get to see your baby being built, not to mention I like to meet the guy who does the work.
If you do not claim having made vehicle modifications when coming back into Canada, they can impound your vehicle. Anytime Ive been across the border, which is many, they always ask if youve made any vehicle modifications. I would imagine the fines are pretty big if you dont claim it.
Old 09-28-2010, 11:27 AM
Administrator

If you do not claim having made vehicle modifications when coming back into Canada, they can impound your vehicle. Anytime Ive been across the border, which is many, they always ask if youve made any vehicle modifications. I would imagine the fines are pretty big if you dont claim it.
My trans took a dump while I was in Iowa, had to have it rebuilt.......Stock
Old 09-28-2010, 01:29 PM

Well, I guess you could go that way too.
Old 10-28-2010, 01:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had a DTT buildup done with the older single disc converter, billet input shaft/drum and all of their internal upgrades. At 75k It feels like the converter is lossy when youre accelerating from lower RPM. It doesnt kick you in the pants when it shifts anymore either. But otherwise Ive beat the heck out of it and it keeps going.
Im going to have the shop do it over again I think.. this time put in billet intermediate and output shafts. triple disc converter. Should be bulletproof for when I get the twins on there.
I agree with most of the posts here.. the newer electronc stuff is sure convenient, but it is unreliable and expensive to troubleshoot. Just not worth it. And how do you know youll have the money to fix that expensive electronic-controlled truck in 5 or 10 years? Id rather stick with a mechanical setup and know that I can fix it myself if I have to.
With the economy in the toilet and the EPA mandating more complexity and expense every few years, things are going to get worse before they get better.
Old 10-28-2010, 03:50 PM

I am sure there is a logical reason- someone explain to me why they care if you have made a modification to an auto transmission. I could possibly see drastically changing the geometry of the suspension, or the emissions system, but the transmission? Are they that tight?
Old 10-28-2010, 06:05 PM
Administrator

It's Canada man............
Old 10-28-2010, 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by patdaly
It's Canada man............
Thats pretty much right.

Vehicle modifications can be big $ and the gooberment wants to make sure they get their taxes. You dont want to even put on a set of tires stateside without telling them.
Old 10-29-2010, 07:30 AM
Administrator

Thats pretty much right.

Vehicle modifications can be big $ and the gooberment wants to make sure they get their taxes. You dont want to even put on a set of tires stateside without telling them.
But you guys got the good Beer, and can legally buy Cubans..........

I would almost trade with ya even with the goofy regs.
Old 10-29-2010, 09:29 AM

ok so this thread has been a ton of great info for me the very new to diesels guy while im in the process of finding my truck ..looks like im getting a 93 with AT ..i will be towing alot at least 2 or three times a week truck im looking at has 130 to 150 on the clock .....my question is which is better for hauling alot the 5speed or the auto i hear alot of varied opinions from around town i want to know what advice you all can give me ..this will be my basic setup 19.5s a 36 to 40 foot flatbed that weighs about 4000lbs and will have 2 cars max on it .....ok so in your opinions whats the better route auto or stick im looking for reliable and long lasting plus MPG's .......so lay some wisdom on me guys remember im new to this and i value all opinions good or bad
Old 10-29-2010, 06:01 PM

I would rather have a well built auto to pull than a std, No clutching and just sit back and enjoy the ride. I drove big gear and used the clutch to get moving and then left it alone. So a good auto with a good TC will work great MY .02