12 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Talk about the 12V engine and drivetrain here. This is for 1994-1998.5 engine and drivetrain discussion only.

Rear brakes, can't get hubs off?

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2012, 08:24 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Rear brakes, can't get hubs off?

REAR BRAKES
Am stuck on stands in driveway and can't get hubs off.
Today is my ONLY day until january I can do my rear brakes.
I have the new pads, but can't get the hubs off.
I did a post yesterday night in the non drive train forum but nobody responded. I'm getting desparate.
One source (friends from high school) told me I don't need to remove axels, another said I do.

How do I get the hubs off??? You guys always know the answers.
Thank you in advance.

1998 24valve 2wd auto. quad cab
Old 12-15-2012, 12:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
rear hubs

Use a hammer and and piece of 2x4 and pound from the back ,it will come
Old 12-15-2012, 12:25 PM

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
On a 98, the drums will just slide off. The hub and axle shaft do not have to be removed. The drum is likely just rusted to the hum.
Old 12-15-2012, 12:33 PM

Back your shoes off. If it wore the drum enough to create a sizeable ridge, you won't get them off. Otherwise, just give the side of the drum a good whack from different sides, it'll break it free if it is seized to the hub.
Old 12-15-2012, 12:39 PM

Received 148 Likes on 127 Posts
Originally Posted by Tate
Back your shoes off. If it wore the drum enough to create a sizeable ridge, you won't get them off. Otherwise, just give the side of the drum a good whack from different sides, it'll break it free if it is seized to the hub.
X2. This is what holds the drums on 99% of the time.

A smear of antisieze around the hub will keep the rust from binding the drum to the hub for next time....
Old 12-15-2012, 12:54 PM

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by Puke
REAR BRAKES
Am stuck on stands in driveway and can't get hubs off.
Today is my ONLY day until january I can do my rear brakes.
I have the new pads, but can't get the hubs off.
I did a post yesterday night in the non drive train forum but nobody responded. I'm getting desparate.
One source (friends from high school) told me I don't need to remove axels, another said I do.

How do I get the hubs off??? You guys always know the answers.
Thank you in advance.

1998 24valve 2wd auto. quad cab
i use heat either with a propane torch or acty.oxy....if you are worried about using heat, think about the heat generated when stopping.
Old 12-15-2012, 01:11 PM

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
If all else fails try this:

With the tires and rims removed, put one lug nut onto one stud on each side of the truck. Just put it on the end of the stud and make sure it's on, but not tightened down at all. Then get in the truck, put it in 2nd or if an automatic put it in D, give it some gas and watch the speedo go up to about 20, then SLAM ON THE BRAKES. Do the same thing in Reverse AFTER letting the drums come to a complete stop. This should loosen them right up. But whatever you do DO NOT FORGET to install one lug nut onto one stud on each side. If you don't install that one lug nut the drums will come flying off. I've done this trick many times... once I forgot to put the lug nut on the driver's side, and when I hit the brakes that brake drum went flying. It is amazing how much damage one Dana 70 rear drum can do while banging around the inside of the garage at about 25 mph. Luckily it wasn't my garage.
Old 12-15-2012, 01:59 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you
Old 12-15-2012, 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by Robert Rausch

With the tires and rims removed, put one lug nut onto one stud on each side of the truck. Just put it on the end of the stud and make sure it's on, but not tightened down at all. Then get in the truck, put it in 2nd or if an automatic put it in D, give it some gas and watch the speedo go up to about 20, then SLAM ON THE BRAKES. Do the same thing in Reverse AFTER letting the drums come to a complete stop. This should loosen them right up. But whatever you do DO NOT FORGET to install one lug nut onto one stud on each side. If you don't install that one lug nut the drums will come flying off. I've done this trick many times... once I forgot to put the lug nut on the driver's side, and when I hit the brakes that brake drum went flying. It is amazing how much damage one Dana 70 rear drum can do while banging around the inside of the garage at about 25 mph. Luckily it wasn't my garage.
Only works if there is no large ridge on the drum. Been there, done that.
Old 12-16-2012, 09:18 AM

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Even with a ridge, if the drum is stuck tight and rusted on, this procedure will break it loose.
Old 12-17-2012, 02:02 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Robert Rausch

After I learned this method I haven't beat on a drum with a hammer in at least 20 years.
It's gotten to the point where I don't try any other method to get drums off.
It's worked every time for me.
Old 12-17-2012, 04:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Tate and the other's are right. Make sure you back the shoes off the drum. I did a video on doing my 1994 Ram 2500 and put it up on youtube. I barely had to ring the drums with a 5lb much in my life.