12 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Talk about the 12V engine and drivetrain here. This is for 1994-1998.5 engine and drivetrain discussion only.

Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2006, 11:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

I have a tube that comes down from around the lift pump area that open up right above my front differential. I am not sure if it is some type of overflow tube or what, but I always have fuel splattered around my tranny and differential from this. I guess I need to extend the tube further down so it will not drain on my diff. My question is what is this drain ?
Old 03-06-2006, 11:58 AM

There are 2 tubes, one is the fuel drain tube from the bottom of the filter or water seperater, it's small, only about 3/8" or so. The other is the breather or blowby tube, about the size of a heater hose. If you're getting fuel all over down there, it must be leaking a little, there shouldn't be fuel except when you drain it. Are you sure it's fuel and not oil? Oil dripping from the breather is common.
Old 03-06-2006, 12:41 PM

It must be my blowby tube. My fuel filter drain tube is gone. Now that you mention, it may be oil. This is not a problem indicator is it ?
Old 03-06-2006, 01:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Abbynormal
It must be my blowby tube. My fuel filter drain tube is gone. Now that you mention, it may be oil. This is not a problem indicator is it ?

Welcome to DTR!!

Thats a fine year truck u got there.. No its not a problem, the blowby just gets all over the undercarraige of the truck, happens to me alot. If your ever bored tho, and want something to do desperatly tho try this. Pressure wash all of the engine with degreaser and get all the grease out of it and so forth. Then when it dries off, go underneath where the oil pan is and on top where the timing cover is, and tighten up all of those little pesky 10 mm bolts... You will be surprised how many of them actually are loose if they havent been checked out before. You might also wanna look at the top valve covers and gaskets to see if they are leaky. Real easy job to switch those out.. Once uve done all that you can see if you have any leaks elsewhere. If you have some oil leak right at the crankshaft, your seal needs to be replaced, no biggie, and while you are in there you can kill that famous KDP....

Best of luck and enjoy the ram!

Rick
Old 03-06-2006, 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by TxDiesel007
If you have some oil leak right at the crankshaft, your seal needs to be replaced, no biggie, and while you are in there you can kill that famous KDP....
This is VERY good advice - make sure you do a search for "KDP" or "Killer Dowel Pin" under 12V drivetrain. This needs to be fixed or you could have a big repair bill.