12 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Talk about the 12V engine and drivetrain here. This is for 1994-1998.5 engine and drivetrain discussion only.

PRIMING,RUNNING EMPTY,OFF-ROAD DIESEL

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2003, 08:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PRIMING,RUNNING EMPTY,OFF-ROAD DIESEL

I apologized in my last post for asking dumb questions due to my lack of ctd knowledge so just bare with me. After filter replacement or running out of fuel, how hard is the ctd to reprime? Next, I know that red pop is illegal in the highway but does the ctd like it? Does the pump like it? <br><br>Kip
Old 03-22-2003, 09:30 PM

Re:PRIMING,RUNNING EMPTY,OFF-ROAD DIESEL

I have never run out of fuel, but I do my own fuel filter changes. When I change the filter I just fill the new filter up with diesel and push the primer about 20 or 30 times and it starts back up as if I never did a thing. I know the risks of using un-filtered fuel in the engine, no lectures needed. I recommend staying away from the &quot;red pop&quot;. I don't know the laws where you live, but up here if you get caught it just isn't worth saving a few bucks on a fill up. If you are just asking out of curiousity, I myself have used it 2 or 3 times and I never noticed a difference at all. But I have heard different opinions about quality or sulpher content which I don't need to start that debate again. Either way I think there is no point to using &quot;red pop&quot; because IMHO the pro's do not out weigh the con's.<br><br>Jeff
Old 03-22-2003, 09:39 PM

Hi Jarhead,<br>Okay, I am no expert by any stretch. But, I changed my filter today. Before I installed it, I filled the canister about 3/4 full of fresh fuel. I am too much of a clutz to fill it all the way, which would have been better, I am sure. After I installed it, I pumped the primer until it got hard to push. The truck started right off, stumbled then quite. It did this a couple of times. Then ran perfect. In this case, it was quite easy. I don't know about that other stuff. See ya!
Old 03-23-2003, 09:51 AM

You don't have to put any UNFILTERED fuel in the filter housing.<br>Just loosen the bleeder screw in the top of the housing a little and pump the primer until you get a drop or two of fuel. Colse the bleeder and give it about 10-12 pumps for a little pressure and it will start as always with no stumble or dying.<br><br>PS : If you have trouble reraching thr primer a stick of some sort works wonders. That way you can pump it from the top above master cylnder. <br><br> : Eddie : 8)
Old 03-23-2003, 10:00 AM

Also the pump won't mind the RED POP at all.<br>Now the DOT in your area will if they are any thing like they are in Ky.<br>But they gotta catch you first. ;D<br>The diff. in the fuel is the dye in it and in some cases like Ky. it is supposed to a higher sulfer fuel.<br>There is no road taxes paid on it and that cheapens it up a bit for farm and comercial use.<br>Although I just had a tank refilled here and the RED stuff was $1.55 a gal. :'(<br>Had to do it though, just hope it goes down a bit before I need more.<br><br> : Eddie : 8)
Old 03-24-2003, 10:01 AM

From what I was told by a fuel delivery man that regularly comes to our farm they are both the same fuel. He said coloured diesel does not come pre-coloured. When he is filling the compartment with it and has selected that type of fuel it pumps it out of the same tank except he can hear the ticking of the red dye being injected with the fuel streaming into this holding compartment. Maybe some states are different but he said up here it's all the same fuel.
Old 03-24-2003, 10:50 PM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ran my 95 slam out of fuel once cause the fuel gauge had quit. Going up hill with a trailer load of four wheelers and dirt bikes on top of all of that. Just put in a gallon or two, thanks to a local diesel shop, pushed the primer button a few dozen times, and away she went. My 89 had a lever on it you pumped fuel with but the 95 had like a plunger button if I remember right.

If anyone ever gets down my way, I still have one of the spin on filters left over you can have.
Old 04-01-2003, 10:01 AM

Like they all said, re-priming is easy.<br><br>As far as red fuel goes, I think the DOT checks for it depending on where you live. I've never run red fuel, but in the 40,000 miles I've put on my truck, I've never been checked.<br><br>I mostly drive in Southern California, with an occasional blast to Nevada or Oregon. Same story with my dad, but he drives all over Oregon, and spends a month every summer driving all over the western US and part of Canada. Never been checked.<br><br>Tackett<br>-paying $1.85 - $2.00 in So Cal right now!
Old 04-01-2003, 11:07 PM

hey jarhead, i drove fuel trucks with big cats in them and we would run the fuel hose right in the truck fuel tank. we had to keep meter slips for tax reasons but the red gave the truck more spank . ive run it in my ctd in a pinch no problems but laws changed since then and if your caught by dot get out your wallet.