Fuels / BioDiesel / Diesel Prices Use this forum to discuss your biodiesel information, and to find the best price on fuel.

off road vs. road diesel prices

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2008, 05:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
off road vs. road diesel prices

Just a heads up for anyone that uses off road diesel. We buy off road fuel in Tulsa on a pretty regular basis, from a good size oil and fuel supplier, but hadn't bought any there in the last few months, since a place in Skiatook started selling it. Anyway, we had one of the guys go by the place in Tulsa on friday, since he had to go pick up some equipment at a place next door to it. Anyhow, he filled the tank up in the back of the pickup (about 85 gallons, it wasn't empty), and when he gave me the receipt, I didn't think it looked right. After some quick math, I came up with $3.28 a gallon for dyed off-road fuel. We could have went to several of the gas stations around here and paid $3.25 for clear diesel with the road tax paid on it...So you can imagine I'm a little less than happy at this point. So pay attention, you might not be saving any money...
Old 02-17-2008, 06:05 PM

Nice to know who your business friends areN'T. What a rip. So far, the guy I buy from has been honest. He posts his off-road and taxed fuel prices side by side, so no problem spotting the savings.

I imagine you will be dealing with someone else from now on.
Old 02-18-2008, 11:02 AM

i pay attention to that around heremany places will have the offroad price within a few cents of on-road....if you buy the offroad think of the profit they are making.....30 cents a gallon?
Old 02-18-2008, 10:17 PM

That's the thing at this particular place, they don't have the fuel prices posted anywhere. But they've been in business for many years, and I guess it's just a trust thing... Needless to say, they won't be trusted anymore... If we call beforehand, they just tell you the price per gallon, without any taxes. We're construction (not farm), so we have to pay sales tax, but not road use tax.
Old 02-19-2008, 01:07 AM

Not really related to Red diesel, but anytime you pump Regular #2, be sure to look at the tax rate on the pump. I have seen it several times where the pump was taxed at the 18 wheeler rate vs the 8c lower passenger car rate. Have to go in the store and request your 8c rebate. If you don't, they get to keep it as extra profit.
Old 02-24-2008, 08:32 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That's why for the last twenty years, we had ours delivered. The last load we took was in November - $1.99/gal the contract price. Today, if I was to order it up it would be at least a buck higher.
Old 02-14-2019, 08:16 AM

Hey you sure your employee didn’t throw some cash in his pocket!

I actually had a “brother in-law” that took my CC to get me fuel and came back with beer cigarettes snacks etc. for him and his *****! And I got a huge fuel bill for very little fuel! Some stations will give drivers cash and charges the card saying they sold only fuel! It’s fine if you actually know about the charge! But it’s an easy way for employees to steal!

Originally Posted by bandit1trucking
Just a heads up for anyone that uses off road diesel. We buy off road fuel in Tulsa on a pretty regular basis, from a good size oil and fuel supplier, but hadn't bought any there in the last few months, since a place in Skiatook started selling it. Anyway, we had one of the guys go by the place in Tulsa on friday, since he had to go pick up some equipment at a place next door to it. Anyhow, he filled the tank up in the back of the pickup (about 85 gallons, it wasn't empty), and when he gave me the receipt, I didn't think it looked right. After some quick math, I came up with $3.28 a gallon for dyed off-road fuel. We could have went to several of the gas stations around here and paid $3.25 for clear diesel with the road tax paid on it...So you can imagine I'm a little less than happy at this point. So pay attention, you might not be saving any money...