General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

Off road vs On road Fuel

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2002, 09:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Off road vs On road Fuel

Is there any difference (other than the red dye and taxes) on the grade of these fuels. Can the off road be used in the CTD w/o any problems. I have heard that the lubricating properties of the 2 fuels are different. Anybody know anything about this? I have access to the offraod grade and can save lots of $$, I am not worried about Dept of Trans. Thanks for the info.
Old 11-06-2002, 10:25 AM

Re:Off road vs On road Fuel

Here in Las Vegas the fuel is the exact same with the exception of the red die. Our tank farm gets fuel from the California pipeline to here. If you get fuel from Cal. also the the fuel is the same. I'm not sure about the rest of the country.
Old 11-06-2002, 10:35 AM

Here in Ohio I don't really know if there is a difference or not. I just run red fuel for the cheap cost.<br>O by the way I filled up the other day at a small gas station and noticed that the fuel was green. I was really mad kuz I thought that I had to drain my tank and refill at another place. I went in and told the owner. He said it was diesel fuel just a different type. ??? <br>Anybody ever heard of [glow=green, 2, 300 ]Green[/glow]<br>diesel fuel
Old 11-06-2002, 11:14 AM

The difference between the on-road (clear) and off road (dyed) (besides being dyed being untaxed and quite illegal) is that the on road has lower sulfur content.. The off road is considered high sulfur.<br><br>The EPA has a $10,000.00 (yes 10 thousand dollar) fine for using high sulfur fuel in a highway vehicle. The EPA is the reasons that Low Sulfur fuel was introduced. Also in a few year the sulfur content is suppose to go lower..<br><br>If you are running dyed fuel you are taking a big risk.. the IRS and most states (dmv/taxation dept) have special units that enforce the use of off road (dyed, untaxed) fuel in highway vehicles... Minimum of $1,000.00 fine (for the first 100 gallons) for the state and the same for the IRS. Plus you owe the road taxes.<br><br>BTW - Clear diesel is typically urine (yellowish) in color.. but it can also have a blue or green tint. I believe the sulfur does add some lubricity to the fuel as well. <br><br>
Old 11-06-2002, 11:58 AM

Aside from the illegal part of the issue is there any mechanical reason not to do this, will it hurt the injectors, or injector pump or any other components?
Old 11-06-2002, 12:03 PM

Does it do anything to reduce or effect performance? Life of the engine?
Old 11-06-2002, 01:23 PM

Im not sure how high sulfur affects performance etc.. But it could also depend on how the fuel pump was manufactured. It was designed for one type of fuel, using the other could cause problems..<br><br>BUT i do know that the John Deere owner/operater manual specifically said to use only low sulfur fuel when we bought a 790 compact tractor last year. I would assume that they say that for a specific reason..
Old 11-06-2002, 09:15 PM

Best I have discovered is that the off-road, high sulfur fuel will clog the catalitic convertor. All other effects are good - until you get checked$$$$$$$$$$$$$. Don't attend a farm show with the wrong fuel in your tank, they (DOT) check at the entrance usually.
Old 11-06-2002, 09:51 PM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Beer and Grape Juice.<br><br><br>Be careful what you drink at CH's house.<br><br><br>phox

Quick Reply: Off road vs On road Fuel