12 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Talk about the 12V engine and drivetrain here. This is for 1994-1998.5 engine and drivetrain discussion only.

Possible Electrical Problem??? 95 Ram

Old 04-28-2011, 07:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Possible Electrical Problem??? 95 Ram

I am not extremely car/truck savy but I do know enough to change my own oil and tires out lol. I have for the past 2 weeks been living in carless hell.

1995 Dodge Ram 3500 Diesel Cummins Engine:

First it started out as every know and then it wouldnt start on my first attempt to start it. I would turn it over and I would hold it and only get one click. My voltage meter on the dash would go from 14 to about 10 ish from just trying to start it. Not having any money at the time I waited till I got my paycheck and the problem got worse in a week. I would have to try to start my truck after turning off the radio and turning off all my lights and trying about 4 times. After I got my paycheck I had a friend take me and the batteries to get checked. Found out one battery wasn't chanrging anymore and the other was in need of charge. I'd had this trucl for almost 2 yrs and hadn't checked my batteries... shame on me I know lol

After getting a new battery and the older one charged I proceded to try to start my truck to see if that was the fix and sure enough... It wasn't. Couple days later I get it jumped so I could take it to the machanic as at this point it wouldn't start on its own and jumping it took about 7 trys for it to FINALLY start. Still only getting 1 click when trying to start. The mechanic tells me I need new battery leads which makes scence as my leads look like someone had taken a hammer to them many many times. We replaced 3 leads but we left the 4th lead, it was the Left positive battery lead, due to about 10 auxillary cables that were attatched to it. The new battery lead didnt have a bolt long anough for all of the leads to be attatched correctly. After we replaced the 3 leads it started like a dream no fuss. I am thinking thank you Jesus!! I Finally got this Fixed!!! Well about 3 hrs later after I had been to the horse barn it did its im gonna try to start and not start click, after trying a second time its starts, im thinking that this is just a kickup. I meet a friend at a resturaunt after leaving the barn, when we get ready to leave I try to start it again and nothing... I get one click AGAIN. I tried about 7 times after fiddling with the leads. Through out this ordeal Fiddling with the leads worked about 90% of the time. this time nothing could get this thing started. I call the guy who had changed my Leads that afternoon and he says that it has to be the lead we didn't replace and says to look for a spark cuz there is a bad connection somewhere. I look and I see nothing... We decided to try to jumped it, it took about 10 times before it finally turned over and started. I got it home finally and that was last week friday. I have not been able to start it since... Jumping doesn't work anymore and I still get nothing but 1 Click. My batteries still go down about 4 volts when I try to start...

Does anyone have a clue as to what this problem is???
Old 04-28-2011, 07:40 AM

Location: Lingleville TX but active duty Air Force all over the world currently
Sounds like starter contacts....get a kit and rebuild it.
Old 04-28-2011, 07:42 AM
Administrator

Received 171 Likes on 129 Posts
My first guess is starter contacts. Do you have a decent auto electric re builder anywhere near?
Old 04-28-2011, 07:58 AM

How much does this usually cost?? Just trying to get a ball park estimate. Its getting towed in today to the mechanic.
Old 04-28-2011, 08:58 AM
1st Generation Admin

Received 111 Likes on 57 Posts
Moving to our 2nd gen forum board.
Old 04-28-2011, 09:15 AM

Go here for all the parts and info you will need.
http://www.fostertruck.com/dodge/
Old 04-28-2011, 09:29 AM

Ditto on the starter contacts, but I would clean up all battery leads anyway and put some corrosion protectant on them.
Old 04-28-2011, 04:14 PM

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
H&T, you've got a good truck there in a '95. It was a good year for these trucks. Don't despair.

I've replaced the starter contacts--it's not a huge undertaking, but if you don't want to do it, order the contacts and take it to an electrical starter place, or a good mechanic.
Old 04-28-2011, 07:00 PM

I went through the same thing a few weeks ago. It turned out to be one of the small wire that goes to the positive side on the driverside battery. I rebuilt starter, then bought a new one, bought new batteries, did all the leads, only to find out the end connector on that small wire was bad. I'd start there first before doing all the stuff I previously did, never know might save you some work and coin.