12 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Talk about the 12V engine and drivetrain here. This is for 1994-1998.5 engine and drivetrain discussion only.

P Pump Gurus, i need your help, Fuel leak...

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2006, 01:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy P Pump Gurus, i need your help, Fuel leak...

Guys

poppin the hood on my truck today for the weekly fluid level check, i noticed two leaks, one was a coolant leak, (not the HG tho, so big sigh of relief) and the other was at my P pump..

The leak is right under fuel line number one, looking from the driver side of the hood towards the P Pump, At injector line number one (closest to the front of the truck) i noticed and saw a small stream of diesel fuel running all the way down towards injector line 3 then dripping down.

I tried tightening down the injector line, then undoing it, and retightening it again while the truck was running, and it was obvious that the line itself wasnt the problem.

I am now looking down my P pump and seeing that there are 2 9/16 size nuts holding down something, and thats where the leak is coming from. I tried tightening these things and they were already tight, no leak stoppage..

My question is, under those 9/16 bolts, what is house? I know that the DV goes into those barrels, and i know that they have gaskets, now my question is, did a DV gasket go bad on me? or is there a gasket underneath those 2 9/16 bolts that went bad?

Im hoping i dont have to do a complete teardown to fix this leak, guys please help me...

Thanks in advance!

Rick
Old 09-09-2006, 05:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
theres 3 or so 0 rings on the plunger/barrell assembly which it sounds like its leaking out from under. Its defenetly not leaking out from the D/V holder?
Old 09-09-2006, 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by Dshiftff
theres 3 or so 0 rings on the plunger/barrell assembly which it sounds like its leaking out from under. Its defenetly not leaking out from the D/V holder?
No telling

i havent taken it apart yet, i know that its leakin from the bottom where the bolts are, and thats about it...

Rick
Old 09-09-2006, 06:37 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
There is an exploded parts diagram in my gallery that may help you but for some reason gallery links aren't appearing for me.
Old 09-09-2006, 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by infidel
There is an exploded parts diagram in my gallery that may help you but for some reason gallery links aren't appearing for me.

Thanks Ok bill

I found something on the cummins data base that might be of good assistance...

http://www.cumminsdatabase.com/read.php?id=182

Going down to the picture that says delivery valves, i see a green thing that appears to be an O ring, Just wonderin if im right on that, I also see no gasket where the bolts seat the barrel base(?) to the actual pump housing.

Since im not seeing a gasket, nor am I seeing RTV or any other kind of sealeant, im starting to think that Little O ring might be a culprit, any idea how hard that would be to replace? or must i take my truck to a reputable diesel shop and have them fix it?

Ive done DV's, but im not sure i can stomach this one.. any ideas?

Thanks!

Rick
Old 09-09-2006, 07:02 PM

To see the gallery click on the users name "infidel" then a menu will pop up. Click on "view public profile" and you will see the gallery. This new software is wierd.
Old 09-09-2006, 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by Sidewinder
To see the gallery click on the users name "infidel" then a menu will pop up. Click on "view public profile" and you will see the gallery. This new software is wierd.
Doing that way only gets you the user's last four pictures. Guess it's under reconstruction.

Rick, PM me your email address and I'll send you the diagram, much better than the data base pictures
Old 09-09-2006, 07:26 PM

You are correct - as always. If you click on one of the pictures it will open another page. At the top of that page there is a link to your gallery - the complete gallery! Try that.
Old 09-09-2006, 07:37 PM

Thanks Sidewinder.
Lot of good it would of done me, the diagram I was looking for wasn't there, my fault.
It will be there once approved now.