12 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Talk about the 12V engine and drivetrain here. This is for 1994-1998.5 engine and drivetrain discussion only.

OD off and trans temp lights on.

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2014, 02:37 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
OD off and trans temp lights on.

First of all thanks for all the questions you guys have answered for me. The latest issue with my '96 4x4 are the "OD OFF" light and the "High Trans Temp" lights. I drove through standing water yesterday afternoon, ( I had no choice), maybe 8-10 inches but only at 10-15 mph. This morning the OD light flickered, then went out. I assumed a connector was wet. Then the trans temp and the OD OFF light came on. There is no way the trans was hot, and I was halfway to work. They came on again on the way home, but went out before I got here. When that light is on the trans will not go into OD. Is there a connector that may have gotten wet that I should look for? Has this happened to anyone else? Thanks in advance.
Old 06-13-2014, 04:31 PM

I just crawled around under the truck looking for anything that could have had an issue. I sprayed a little WD40 into a connection on the drivers side of the trans but it didn't help. I started the truck and both lights came back on. I also see a pair of plastic tubes running beside each other (I'm assuming vacuum lines), on the drivers side of the engine. One is white the other is green. The green line isn't connected to anything. No idea what I'm looking at.
Old 06-13-2014, 05:41 PM

Another observation. I just checked the fluid level and it was fine. However, when the truck was in neutral or park, both lights came on. When I shifted it to drive, both lights went out.
Old 06-13-2014, 06:49 PM
Administrator

Received 171 Likes on 129 Posts
Originally Posted by pipefitter
First of all thanks for all the questions you guys have given me. The latest issue with my '96 4x4 are the "OD OFF" light and the "High Trans Temp" lights. I drove through standing water yesterday afternoon, ( I had no choice), maybe 8-10 inches but only at 10-15 mph. This morning the OD light flickered, then went out. I assumed a connector was wet. Then the trans temp and the OD OFF light came on. There is no way the trans was hot, and I was halfway to work. They came on again on the way home, but went out before I got here. When that light is on the trans will not go into OD. Is there a connector that may have gotten wet that I should look for? Has this happened to anyone else? Thanks in advance.
Ok, on the RE, the fluid temp sensor is internal to the trans, so we can eliminate water at the sensor at least. That being said, it sure looks like something is shorting the thing so the PCM thinks the fluid is hot, and thus will not engage OD ( a normal function of the temp sensor )

On the drivers side of the trans is an 8 pin connector that is the main connector, what you are looking for is pin 8, a 18 gauge violet colored wire, which runs to terminal B1 on Connector 2 of the PCM. At room temp ( 70? ) the thyristor should be around `1000 Ohms per the FSM. This comes form a 97 FSM, but I am 99 percent sure the 96 is the same.

I would bet that when you ran through the water, some got into the connector and is causing your issue, I would carefully pull the plug off the trans. connector, blow both sides out good with compressed air, and if you have some, spray both with contact cleaner, let dry and plug back in, then check it before you go further.
Old 06-14-2014, 09:39 AM

I found the connector, pulled it out blew it out with air and sprayed it with some contact cleaner. It drove fine for about 2 miles, then the lights came back on. When I stop at a light, or a sign they'll sometimes go out. Occasionally, I can tell the trans isn't going into OD, but the light isn't on. It only does it for a couple of seconds before the light will come back on. I have to assume this is an electrical rather than a transmission issue, but should a trans shop be able to find the problem? Or should I find a shop that specializes in automotive electrical issues? I'm stumped, and disgusted.
Old 06-19-2014, 04:33 PM

I threw in the towel and took it to a shop. It was water but it was in a connector on the firewall. I think it was getting better, but losing OD at 55 mph is a pain.
Old 06-19-2014, 05:38 PM
Administrator

Received 171 Likes on 129 Posts
Originally Posted by pipefitter
I threw in the towel and took it to a shop. It was water but it was in a connector on the firewall. I think it was getting better, but losing OD at 55 mph is a pain.
The connector right at the bottom of the cab where the footwell starts going up to the firewall?

I always had nightmares of that connector getting crudded up on mine, totally STUPID place to put one..........
Old 06-20-2014, 07:15 AM

It must have been. I agree, putting any electrical connector on the bottom of a 4X4 is a bit foolish.
Old 01-17-2019, 11:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by patdaly
The connector right at the bottom of the cab where the footwell starts going up to the firewall?

I always had nightmares of that connector getting crudded up on mine, totally STUPID place to put one..........

Maybe you’re still out there.... I had this issue last year, kind of figured it was a sensor and then it quit doing it. No other issues. But it happened again yesterday since were getting rain here in SOCAL. can you access that connection from under the truck? Or from the inside of the cab?
Old 01-17-2019, 06:46 PM

I'm still here! Do not pay the ransom! I'm reasonably sure he got to it from under the truck. Like I said, I took it to a shop. The owner is a buddy of mine and if I can catch up with him, I'll ask!
Old 08-03-2019, 03:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
97 dodge trans temp o/d light

Ok I have a 97 dodge 2500 4x4 12v 5.9 cummins with the 47re auto . I have no upgrades other then the solinode kit for the trans and the actuator spring only because , it never had one changed but I have been have o/d problems since I bought the truck 5 months ago. I paid $4000 for it ,it had some brake and suspension problems I fixed . Now i have been trying to figure it out i check every wire on the wiring harness and no lose wires or anything but the od off light stays on with the trans temp light. I tried flashing the computer and resetting the computer or pcm .And still no good result. I'm thinking about replacing the pcm or transmission . Can anyone tell what could fix this or has anyone had this problem. Thanks in advance