12 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Talk about the 12V engine and drivetrain here. This is for 1994-1998.5 engine and drivetrain discussion only.

Newbie Auto Tranny Questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2006, 01:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Newbie Auto Tranny Questions

Fairly new to this place.....so be gentle.

I just picked up a 1997 2500 CC, with 86k miles. Truck looks like new and drives the same. One of the intended uses for this truck is to tow my 27' folding trimaran sailboat. Boat and trailer weigh in at 3700# empty, but probably closer to 4500# with all the cruising gear aboard. The boat has very poor aerodynamics, with the folded beams sticking 13ft. up in the air.

The only mods I intend for the engine, are any that might help increase mileage (timing bump?, etc.).

Anyway.....my questions are as follows:

1. When auto trannies fail, do they give any warning, or do they just fail...leaving you stranded?

2. What are the warning signs that the tranny is not long for this world?

3. Is there something I can do to test the condition of the tranny?

We are planning some great road trips with the boat over the next couple of years, and I want to do whatever I need, to ensure that I won't find myself on the side of the road.

ANy comments are GREATLY appreciated!!!

-3Sigma
Old 09-29-2006, 02:08 PM
Just a plain ole guy

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
1. When auto trannies fail, do they give any warning, or do they just fail...leaving you stranded?

Depends on the failure. Some start slipping, some shift funny, others just don't go. Somtimes they blow up.

2. What are the warning signs that the tranny is not long for this world?

Burnt fluid. Bald back tires and new front tires and both are the same kind. 16k hitch in the bed of a 1/2 ton. The best thing would be to drop the pan. look for excessive grit or shavings.

Not really. Look for signs of leaks. A trans shop can adjust some things, which should be done anually anyway.
Old 09-29-2006, 02:19 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 3Sigma

ANy comments are GREATLY appreciated!!!

-3Sigma
Get a service manual, there are a bunch of pressure tests that you can do. They will give you an indication if everything is OK.
Old 09-29-2006, 02:33 PM

I suggest you install a trans temp gauge , and perhaps a valve body shift kit. Over the long haul you need to monitor fluid temps particularily when going up a grade.
Old 09-29-2006, 02:44 PM

I'm in the same boat with a 96k miles 97 12v auto.

which valve body kit do you recommend. mine is shifting into D drive kinda of funny. once it goes into drive it shifts hard and works perfect.

sometimes there's a slight hesitation going into drive. if I put it into second and shift up into drive, it works everytime. makes me think it's an adjustment issue.

getting ready to drop pan for a new filter and band adjustment. going thru entire truck. dowl pin in timing cover is up next.

planing on setting timing to 16.5 degrees from stock 14 degrees

Originally Posted by Rrloren
I suggest you install a trans temp gauge , and perhaps a valve body shift kit. Over the long haul you need to monitor fluid temps particularily when going up a grade.
Old 09-29-2006, 03:53 PM

The tranny seems to shiff fine. Very smooth. Almost cant feel the shifts (is that a bad thing?). When the TC locks, RPM's drop about 500. Without a load, the TC likes to stay locked up even with additional throttle input.

Drove another similar truck the other day, that had 97k miles, and the shifting didn't seem as positive, and it would unlock the TC much easier.

Made me wonder which is "normal"?????

-3Simga